Thread: What are the chances of an offlne gaming console being released in the future?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Unless the stars align and some sort of indie project gets of the ground, its just not going to happen. I don't really like it, I'm not going to like it, but that's how it is. Devs and publishers are going for minimum effort, short development cycle, and using dollar bills as earplugs instead of actually listening and fixing. OTOH, the convenience of downloading games makes things all too easy for the average consumer; we're in a culture of 'right now' especially when it comes to entertainment. My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl
    As someone who collects vinyl, I can assure you that the brick and mortar part of that uptick in sales is almost nonexistent. Sure, Barnes and Noble and Target have small selections of vinyl, but I don't know anyone that actually buys it there. In fact, a bunch of retail music stores that cropped up in the last decade have closed or are in the process of downsizing or closing. Amazon and other online retailers have most of the market and Amazon actually has special protective packaging for vinyl which means that for the most part, you can get it both cheaper and in better condition online rather than going to a retail store.