Thread: the Dreamcast (and its relevance in 2019)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I used to see a lot of Dreamcast stuff at thrift stores around 2005 or so but never bought any of it because it wasn't retro enough at the time so it didn't really interest me. I eventually bought a lot a few years ago but still regret not buying the stuff when it was reasonably cheap and more abundant.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I used to see a lot of Dreamcast stuff at thrift stores around 2005 or so but never bought any of it because it wasn't retro enough at the time so it didn't really interest me. I eventually bought a lot a few years ago but still regret not buying the stuff when it was reasonably cheap and more abundant.
    Well it hasn't gotten out of hand, though obviously not as common as Xbox or PS2. Gamecube stuff has really shot up in price as that age group gets older.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well it hasn't gotten out of hand, though obviously not as common as Xbox or PS2. Gamecube stuff has really shot up in price as that age group gets older.
    Yeah, it's definitely more a lack of finding anything now more than cost...I can't remember the last time I've seen any Dreamcast anything at a thrift store. Game stores usually have a single shelf of games but cost is usually a premium there... like you said, usually not outrageous but still more than I care to spend.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Dreamcast is home to some of the best fighting games ever, thus it will always be relevant.

Also, proud owner of the DC version of Resident Evil 2... which I need to replay.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Crazy Taxi is def my favourite game of any console. Metropolis Street racer is excellent too. I haven't played my DC for about a year but will get myself sorted out soon

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I was kinda mad when they ported Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to the GameCube, leaving even fewer exclusives on the console.

Has anyone played Crazy Taxi or Sonic Adventure 1/2 on the GameCube? Or PS2 Crazy Taxi? How do the versions compare to the DC?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I was kinda mad when they ported Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to the GameCube, leaving even fewer exclusives on the console.

Has anyone played Crazy Taxi or Sonic Adventure 1/2 on the GameCube? Or PS2 Crazy Taxi? How do the versions compare to the DC?
    There are slight pro's and cons, though overall not much of a difference.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You're forgetting about the Dreamcast Collection for the Xbox 360, both Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure are on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_Collection

Weirdly the later Steam version of the Dreamcast Collection adds Nights into Dreams into the collection as well, even though it's a Saturn game. Did they run out of decent Dreamcast games or something? Just very odd to add this game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I had PS2 Crazy Taxi as a kid. I remember Dreamcast Crazy Taxi being slightly better, felt more natural with the controller.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GAmecube version is great, and since you can play it on the Wii, you are saving your DC from a bit of wear