Thread: What are some lesser-known 16-bit RPGs and Strategy Games?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

I don't know if it'd be too well known to fit the bill, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet I quite liked Illusion of Gaia on SNES, as far as Zelda-types go. And although it's technically part of the FF series, I always thought Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was underrated. Easy, for sure, which was the point, but I had a lot of fun with it, and the music is awesome.

As a side note, happy to see all the Brigandine love; that's one of my favorites. (And if not for the early-3D battle cutscenes, which I usually end up turning off anyway, it could probably pass for a 16-bit game, despite being on PS1.)
    Dan B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmash View Post

As a side note, happy to see all the Brigandine love; that's one of my favorites. (And if not for the early-3D battle cutscenes, which I usually end up turning off anyway, it could probably pass for a 16-bit game, despite being on PS1.)
    I made maps for the Brigandine battlefields on excel:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4001814.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	10656

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4001825.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	10658

What can I say - I like game maps a lot!
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 08-18-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Langrisser/War Song part one for the genesis was the only u.s release,beside part II having a fan translation that's it.While the rest of the series did remain japan exclusive.Interesting enough though langrisser 1&2 got a remake for switch and it's coming to the u.s next year but i don't know if that will give the series more exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTv3-X69Sew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Langrisser/War Song part one for the genesis was the only u.s release,beside part II having a fan translation that's it.While the rest of the series did remain japan exclusive.Interesting enough though langrisser 1&2 got a remake for switch and it's coming to the u.s next year but i don't know if that will give the series more exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTv3-X69Sew
    One really fun thing you can do with Warsong is stick around in the castle in the first battle (rather than slinking off like a whipped dog like the game wants you to) - you can sometimes actually defeat all of the enemy (a lot of being able to win relies on how well the king's two guards do - which you have no control over). It doesn't change the subsequent gameplay at all other than giving you a bit more money for the second scenario and a bit more experience.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons is reallly good. One of my favorites.

Its both a rpg & strategy game. Id check out the snes version.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I like Lagoon, even if it has a boatload of quirks. The best reason to play it is for its great soundtrack. I hear the X68000 version is fan-patched these days, for anyone who wants to see how the game was originally designed. (It was developed to be a Ys-style game, where you bump into enemies with your drawn sword, rather than actively slash. I guess they wanted the game to be more like Zelda on SNES, except they didn't adjust the sword's reach to compensate for the different gameplay.)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

@Natty - Now that you mention it I think I also discovered the thing about the master leaving. I remember being shocked when I played the Genesis one and saw he couldn't, but I think I wound up liking that better.

So I also decided to expand this topic to 8-Bit games as well, since those are kind of a thing I'm into. Actually I've been looking at repro cart sites and stuff keeps popping out at me.

I'm thinking of trying out "The Glory of Heracles" (the original... which was apparently also the last to get a fan-translation), even tho it apparently uses passwords. There's also a pair of NES games called Deep Dungeon 3 and Deep Dungeon 4.... which kinda makes me wonder where the first two are (I suspect the MSX).

EDIT: Also, sometimes I can't help chuckling at the title "Just Breed." That should be the name of a Pokemon rom hack.

I was just telling a friend of mine, it would be awesome if Pokemon were redone to be a Master of Monsters type game.

DOUBLE EDIT: By the way, what do you (and anyone reading this) think of Ogre Battle? That's a series I keep trying to get into and its a mix of fascinating but at times kind of boring for me. Fascinating because I like what seems to be going on (as well as the music--I'm primarily familiar with the PS1 version) but boring because it feels like there's no real depth and all I really need to do is just tell units "go here."
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 08-21-2019 at 09:50 AM.