Thanked in
    60 Posts

i think your the only one able to really hunt this year

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I stopped "hunting" years ago. it used to be that I could find video games cheaper at garage sales and thrift stores, but now I dont see a difference between garage sale prices and eBay prices. I did score a couple of large lots on Craigslist earlier this year, but those dont come up very often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I don't flea market and thrift store hunt too often nowadays. Most of the thrifts I liked seem to have gone out of business or changed hands and now only sell clothes. Most of my game hunting nowadays tend to be at Game X Change stores (they have way better prices than most game stores I've come across) or used movie stores.

I'm off Sunday, so I'm thinking about hitting a flea market but I don't expect to find anything. I'm more interested in the two game stores and the used movie place that are nearby. I'm also hitting a wall when it comes to collecting for the PS3, I'm now at 507 games and there's not that much that I'm looking for now. My main focus for collecting my entire life has mostly been pre-NES era games and systems, but you just don't find those anymore. Getting a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and a Wii U all in the same year really brought back my happiness to collect games again. It'll be sad when I can't find anything I want for the PS3 anymore, it's been such a great machine to collect for. I pretty much play it every day I get off work just to unwind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I can't venture out to check my thrift haunts like I used to, but when I do it's pretty dry. The games are picked through or some places put them up on eBay or their own web site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

There used to be a Disabled American Veterans thrift store in Irving, TX that I absolutely loved. I'd bought so much stuff from there, the place was cobbled together from a few buildings and had a maze-like layout. You never knew what you'd find there, from Atari 800 cartridges to shrinkwrapped French papercraft kits of famous landmarks to '70s board games to a broken Tomy Omnibot 2000 (which I passed on and I hate myself for it now). I hadn't gone there in a year or two after switching to a late-night work schedule, and I finally dropped by and saw that the entire place had changed. Turns out the DAV had closed and sold it off to someone else who doesn't have their own dedicated donation boxes, they buy whatever garbage they can sell, which is mostly clothes and baby stuff. Gone was their giant shelf full of 8-track tapes, their weird collection of 1950s and 1960s sci-fi paperbacks, way too many jigsaw puzzles, the orange cat that lived there and was usually asleep next to the register.... the place lost 99% of its character. Now it's just crap. It's now called Stars and Stripes thrift. They couldn't even come up with a decent name. It's just heartbreaking to see. I hope at least somebody adopted that cat.

I didn't go flea market shopping, the place I was planning on going was about an hour and a half away and I had a premonition of breaking down in the middle of nowhere. So I just hit a couple local Movie Trading Company stores, a couple Half Price Books, and a Game X Change store. Didn't find much. I'm on the hunt for a PS4 game called Sinking Cities - I bought one months back but only got around to playing it a few days ago and found a completely different game in the case, a copy of Stick It To The Man. I'm looking for a replacement (I think I only paid $8.99 for it and I don't have the receipt any more so that's all I can do) but had no luck. At least Labor Day sales were good and I picked up a few more holes for the collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i got lucky at a friends gamestore a few days ago..he is clearancing out items because moving to a new location. he sold me 3 original gameboys for $10 total. i'm keeping 1 and selling the other 2 on ebay....also lots of disc only games that are going up on ebay as well...also bought 6 geneisis CIB games....mostly sports for about $3 each ...not a bad day

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

my local gamestore was getting $90 for the DMG and couldnt keep them in stock.