Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Share your pickup loot and finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

No, haven't had much time to play it. Plus, my nephew's staying in the room with my console, I don't want to disrupt him any more.

There's also a Crash Time 5 for the PS3, but there aren't any on Amazon right now. I'm eventually going to have to resort to eBay. There's a few other European exclusives on disc that I'd like to get, but eBay's the only place I can find them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

been a while ...but last over last few months i've obtained a virtual boy with mario tennis..then ordered galactic pinball, teleroboxer, and red alarm...also last weekend picked up zelda 2 on nes for $20...tennis and jeff gordon xs racing both on gameboy for i think $3 a piece...picked up superman on atari 2600 for $6....also dr mario 64 and fzero x both on n64 for around $20 a piece...the last ones i can think of recently is f122 and forza 5 both on xbox series x for under $10 each...there's others but like i said, its been a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My nephew's been in bad spirits lately, so I took him to my new favorite game store. I picked up Touhou Genso Wanderer for the PS4. I have Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded for the PS4 already, but this one is a double pack (with a reversible cover and another disc called Touhou Double Focus). And then for the PS3 I found something I'd never seen before, Naughty Bear Double Trouble. I've seen the regular black cover release and the Gold Edition with the yellow cover, but not this one. It's got a bunch of extras on it that I assume were only available online before. Nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to a Movie Trading Company store, only to find it not there anymore. Not just the business, the actual building. It pains me to see all these physical media stores going away. So I went to the main Dallas location. Picked up the PS3 flight stick. Down the street is the local headquarters of Half Price Books, and there I found Taiko No Tatsujin: Drum Session! (Singapore release, multi language) and Caladrius Blaze, for the PS4. I've only seen Caladrius Blaze in a game store for $140, this place had two copies, one sealed and one open. I bought the open one, it was $60. A bit steep, but I'll never find another copy at that price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It's not often I find something that's post worthy, but this week I acquired something that I never thought I'd actually GET.

$200 for the stack you see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5133706199648757696.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	11020

A co-worker of mine helps out with IT things and what not at a local church/parochial school. He texted me images of a Macintosh 512K, keyboard, mouse, external floppy drive, books/software along with a couple PowerBooks (145 and 180) and an Imagewriter printer. I've gotten into Macs over the last few years and there was just something about checking out the original that got me interested. The 512 worked but the PowerBooks not so much-both powered on but one only had the mouse cursor but wouldn't boot from the hard drive.

He looked them up on ebay on value, which started to make my heart sink. While the school was clearing out space and was getting rid of them, he didn't feel right just taking the stuff and I understood. We came up with a price of $200 for the 512, Powerbooks, the manuals and software and printer.

The 512 works with the external floppy. The internal will take disks but can't read them, so I'm thinking it's dirty. The screen is nice a crisp with no whining or anything. The keyboard only had one key not working, the "V" key, but a few squirts of contact cleaner down the shaft followed by repeated pressing freed that up. Some disks seem to have rot but I could get MacWrite/MacPaint to work (which comes with box, manuals and the audio tape). One of the copied discs (had MacWord) has "Golf", a card solitaire style game. THAT has been neat to play with and I am heavily thinking of getting a flash drive for it in the future.

The PowerBooks need help. The 180 looks salvageable as it boots and has a moveable mouse arrow but the hard drive just clicks. I'm going to open the HD and see if I can coax it back to life for at least a little while for kicks. If anything I can get a SCSI to SD card for it later. The 145 needs work. The screen bezel is apart due to old plastic cracking and I'm not sure if the display is connecting properly to the board or not. It does power up and chime but nothing shows on the display. The HD is shot too as it just spins and shuts down.

The Imagewriter, still with a ribbon in it, works! I did a test print (turn on power while holding Form Feed-the ol' middle school memories are coming back when I would fix these things during class) and I got results! It's such a trooper.

Now to find software for this stuff....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My old man (RIP) had a 1st edition MAC that they used for a nickel trader ad paper in the early 90s. I’m thinking about picking it up the next time I visit up there.

I was heading out from my bank on NW Hwy in Dallas, on my way to the big Half-Price Book down the street, when a pawn shop caught my eye. I almost skipped it, but my senses told me that I need to check it out. Luckily I did, because someone put out a lot of DS and 3DS games for $5 each. They also had a mint Black 3DS XL for $60. I walked out of the door with 7 games and the 3DS for $104, after taxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71407316994__B3F1D4FF-48F3-4E2A-ABE0-19C681C0ACFF.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	11021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71409404820__266DA32E-6EC3-4149-B110-F4C2CD162BDB.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	11022  

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    A co-worker of mine helps out with IT things and what not at a local church/parochial school. He texted me images of a Macintosh 512K, keyboard, mouse, external floppy drive, books/software along with a couple PowerBooks (145 and 180) and an Imagewriter printer. I've gotten into Macs over the last few years and there was just something about checking out the original that got me interested. The 512 worked but the PowerBooks not so much-both powered on but one only had the mouse cursor but wouldn't boot from the hard drive.
    That is a really neat find. I just want to point out that even though the Mac 512K is working, you may still want to look into replacing some capacitors and the PRAM battery as they're known to leak and cause extensive damage to the internals, especially any RIFA capacitors. There's plenty of resources on this, including on youtube with posters like Adrian's Digital Basement repairing these computers regularly and in detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That is a really neat find. I just want to point out that even though the Mac 512K is working, you may still want to look into replacing some capacitors and the PRAM battery as they're known to leak and cause extensive damage to the internals, especially any RIFA capacitors. There's plenty of resources on this, including on youtube with posters like Adrian's Digital Basement repairing these computers regularly and in detail.
    The PRAM battery was already removed, so that's one worry gone. I have to get a long torx driver to open the case, so that's on my shopping list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Good luck finding old-school Mac software for those. Mac abandonware sites should help. I had a Powerbook 180C that I picked up at a flea market around 1998 (for $15!) that I used for years. It was a pretty useful machine in the late '90s, even though it was pretty old even then. I also picked up other old Macs to try and get working, but most didn't even fire up. A nice Powerbook Duo with the DuoDock, for example. At least in the early days of the internet there were still archives of old Mac software that could be found. I'm not sure how many are still out there. Again, good luck and happy hunting!

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I found some neat (pre-Mac) Apple stuff this weekend, though I'll start with the find most relevant to this forum, a Sony Playstation 4, which I bought for $120. I bought one for $80 a few years back, but it turned out to have a bad HDMI port; a friend of mine was able to replace it, but it's still in pieces, so when this one showed up at a consignment store, I decided to pick it up. Thankfully, the HDMI port in this one works, and it boots up to the main menu, though I haven't tested it with a game yet since one wasn't included. It did come with a controller, as well as the charging cable, and it works with the controller plugged into the console. Anyway, here are some photos:

Name:	ps4_1.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	11023

Name:	ps4_2.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	11024
    Onto the Apple stuff, which I bought as a lot for $200. Included was an Apple II Plus and an Apple IIc, both in fairly good condition, and with an external disk drive each. The II Plus is loaded with expansion cards, including the Disk II card, 16KB RAM expansion, RF modulator, and both serial and parallel interfaces. The IIc presumably has the standard 128KB RAM, and came with the matching Monitor IIc with the matching C-stand. Also included was two boxes of floppy disks (including a few copies of Snake Byte as seen on the monitor photo), a homebrew 'mystery card' for the II Plus, and lots of manuals and other paperwork. Thrown in with the lot was a box full of PC software, plus two bags of CD-ROMs. Here are some photos:

Name:	appleiic_setup.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	11035

Name:	appleiic_screen.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	11034

Name:	appleiiplus_setup.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	11033

Name:	appleiiplus_top1.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	11032

Name:	manuals1.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	11036

Name:	pcsoftware.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	11037

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I picked up Jump Force for the PS4 early last week (my nephew loves the game, although I haven't heard many good things about it) and today I picked up Omega Quintet and Evil Genius 2 - World Domination for the PS4. For some reason, Evil Genius 2 doesn't have the name printed on the spine. I wonder if that's common or if it's a fluke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A few days ago I hit a GameXchange store I haven't been to in months, I only picked up Immortals Fenyx Rising for the PS4. I'd picked up another game but the only copy they had was too scratched. I then stopped at a Movie Trading Company location nearby and picked up the Pac-Man Museum new. This afternoon, after getting my car inspected (I had to wait two hours) and getting it registered I went out to my favorite new game store and grabbed a bunch of stuff. I'd only planned to get Chariot and Destiny Connect, but he'd gotten in a sealed collector's edition of The Cruel King and the Great Hero, a game that I'd had my eye on, so I picked that one up too. It was only $40.

Later in the evening I stopped at a Half Price Books and didn't buy anything. But they had a PS4 game there, 3D Mini-Golf that they wanted $39.99 for. I thought that was way too much for such a thing, especially when I'd seen the PS5 version of the game for $8.99 several months ago. Later when I was getting something to eat I looked the game up on Amazon and only one seller had a copy, used and sold in "good" condition, for $150. Um..... why? I remember looking at the back of the PS5 box and it looked like PS2 graphics, the PS4 version had the same screenshots on it. I'm confused.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

I found a few nice things at an array of retro game shops in a couple of small towns outside the area. I don't know why a region of about 30,000 people has three retro gaming stores, but I'm glad they're there. I'll need to go back before long, even though it's a bit of a drive.

I also paid a bit less than the sticker price for each of these, so I think I got a good haul. I also can't figure out how to get the picture to upload right-side-up.

Name:	Games Acquired (Rotated).jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	11044

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

your going the expensive way it seems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A few days ago I stopped at a game store and bought the Team 17 Evercade cartridge. When I got back to my car my battery was dead. It was near a AAA office, so I called them and it would take an hour for them to arrive, even though I could hit the local AAA office with a frisbee from where I was. A few minutes later some random guy drove up, asked me if I needed a jump, and had my car running in less than 2 minutes. Thank God for people like that.

One new battery later (and an oil change), and I went game shopping. Picked up Gal Gunbolt Burst for the PS4. Nothing else looked all that interesting. That place used to be my favorite game store locally, but they're running low on stuff I'm looking for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    your going the expensive way it seems
    Haha, I suppose that's true. I didn't pay sticker for any of them, fortunately, but there's so little out in the wild here that I am willing to pay a (slight) premium for collecting and trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terminusvitae View Post
    there's so little out in the wild here that I am willing to pay a (slight) premium for collecting and trade.
    That's my situation. I almost never check out thrift stores anymore - all my favorites have closed down or changed hands. I used to love hunting games and stuff, it was like a gambler hitting a jackpot when I'd find something really cool in the wild. Nowadays, I just hit game, used book stores, and movie stores. And even there I don't find much.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

yea theres been a few thrift stores here close recently and the rest are hiking their prices.
    probably in order to pay the new wages that some idiot governor had the brilliant idea to pump up on a schedule instead of using common sense and then favor the higher income places with more of a wage increase and the low income areas with a lower increase.

the west coast is shit, dont come here for anything.

anyway...

some one at work gave me a broken gamegear with a game genie, sonic 1 and 2, columns, zoop, ecco and xmen and also a TG16 game, Legendary Axe II in a Bonks Revenge case...

i think the bonks revenge case is more valuable than legendary axe ii loose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A week and a half ago, I did some actual thrift store shopping. Went to three places, didn't find anything. I did go back to that Half Price Books and pick up the copy of 3D Mini Golf for the PS4 while I was out. So at least I didn't come home completely empty-handed.

Today I went well away from home to go to a little restaurant in the middle of nowhere, on the way there and coming back I hit several game stores and a couple Half Price Books, only found anything at two places. Risk of Rain for the PS4 at a GameXchange, and at a place that's usually had Japanese import PS3 games fairly often I bought Dragon Quest Heroes, Warriors Orochi 2, and Unreal Tournament 3. When I got home I realized I had a Japanese copy of Warriors Orochi 2 Ultimate already. For some reason I kept thinking it was Warriors Orochi Z, the zombie version of the game. It's hard when you can't read the language on the cover.

Oh, the Taiko No Tatsujin drum is something I got out of a gachapon machine in the recently opened Bandai Gachapon Shop.

Last edited by Steve W; 09-16-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I decided to stop off at a Half Price Books today, and had to pick this sweet thing up. The Challenge of Nexar from Spectravideo. Boxed and with the instruction manual. This location (and a few locally) seem to have a lot of boxed Atari 2600 games.

Last edited by Steve W; 09-19-2023 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Realized I mis-spelled something.