Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

That's definitely a passion project website.... nice work!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMJ For This Useful Post:

CMA Death Adder (01-08-2020)

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Today's update:

Added some details and screenshots for Holyfield Boxing, NBA Live '99, and Small Soldiers to the rumored games page. This info was mostly scooped from the archived website of developer Handheld Games.

game.com rumored games page
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Their CEO certainly knew how to hype up a game, it seems. Holyfield Boxing actually sounds like a good deal of fun. The camera angle for NBA Live looks atrocious, however.

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    Sure, why not?
    So the Internet cartridge doesn't first try to connect to game.com, for example, failing if it doesn't receive an expected response?

Ahh, never mind. I didn't watch the whole video, but apparently that's exactly what happens. Bummer. Edit: Apparently, email functions normally. Also, it seems the video uploader was just a kid without much of a grasp of networking concepts or even retro gaming--so perhaps his assessment was unfounded. Gotta hand it to him for his level of interest, though.
    Last edited by § Gideon §; 01-09-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon § View Post
    Their CEO certainly knew how to hype up a game, it seems.
    Understatement, heh heh. I rolled my eyes several times while adding those statements to the site.

The camera angle for NBA Live looks atrocious, however.
    As do the players' heads: they're floating several pixels above their bodies!

it seems the video uploader was just a kid without much of a grasp of networking concepts or even retro gaming
    Uhh, yeah. Questionable "reference material" there, Gid. He has zero concept of what he is talking about.
    Also - I believe you may have been confused when he was referring to Delphi? You don't *have* to use Delphi. It was just the service that Tiger was partnered with at the time.

Thing is, I'm afraid I can't get you all the facts on this like I'd prefer to. I hope one day to be able to muck about with the game.com Internet kit, and see just what can be done with it in modern times. If and when that happens, I'll prepare a full report for my website, and also share it here. For now, we'll just have to remain patient.
    Last edited by CMA Death Adder; 01-09-2020 at 01:52 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMA Death Adder For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (01-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

This thread triggered a memory... I actually own a Tiger Game.com handheld, in box. Never played it - I've never seen so much battery corrosion on an electronic device before. But I have one, for "bragging" rights only. I also have several games for it, mostly bought at a thrift store for 89¢ each. Never even opened the packages up. There's no need, I'm only going to be disappointed with the result of playing the games. Like the Tiger R-Zone games I have - I'm pretty sure that Panzer Dragoon game on the R-Zone will not compare equally to the Saturn game.

At least somebody is taking the time to keep the faint memory of the Game.com alive, that's laudable. Good job!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

CMA Death Adder (01-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I actually own a Tiger Game.com handheld, in box. Never even opened the packages up. There's no need, I'm only going to be disappointed with the result of playing the games.
    That's the spirit! Brother, you're OK in my book.

I also have several games for it, mostly bought at a thrift store for 89¢ each.
    Still a rip-off.

At least somebody is taking the time to keep the faint memory of the Game.com alive, that's laudable. Good job!
    Thanks! I enjoy doing the research, and sharing my findings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMA Death Adder For This Useful Post:

Steve W (07-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Today's update:

When I discovered that the UK version of the game.com Internet package featured a slightly different box, manual, and cartridge label than the US version, not to mention additional inserts, my initial reaction was, “No. NO! NOOOOO!!” I bought it anyway, knowing full well I'd have to scan everything. Yuck. But now the dirty deed is done, and the downloads are waiting for you over on the scans page.