Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Objection! 3000 doesn't have reticulating splines!
    Is that like Blast Processing for Sim games?
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Is that like Blast Processing for Sim games?
    You'd have to ask Will Wright. All I know is that 2000 likes to declare "reticulating splines" whenever you start a new city, so I can only assume its some amazing godly technology that for some reason is exclusive to 2000

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

its also in the loading screen for The Sims

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    You'd have to ask Will Wright. All I know is that 2000 likes to declare "reticulating splines" whenever you start a new city, so I can only assume its some amazing godly technology that for some reason is exclusive to 2000
    Supposedly someone did ask him, as there are a ton of references out there to Will Wright saying in an interview that it was just a joke and a phrase he came up with because it sounds cool. However, I can't find the interview anywhere, or no reference to the actual interview, only people rehashing the same claim that it was in an interview.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

My Sim xxx Nostalgia begins with Sim City (the original) and ends with The Sims 2 or 3. I remember always having to play these games at a friend's house when they were new because my family was too "poor" to own a computer at the time (there's some personal stuff behind that I don't want to get into). Once I started messing around on fourth hand PC systems in the early 2000's, it became pretty much customary to install Sim City, Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, Sim Ant, A-Train, and Sim anything else on them that would run.

TBH, any game where you build stuff is pretty much game for me, because I like building stuff in real life as well (guitars, computers, electronic stuff, working on my car, etc).

I'd say the ones that stick with me the most are Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, and The Sims 2. Sim City 2000 being because of it's more complex infarastructure management, I've pretty much figured out how to "game" the game in the original Sim City (ie 8x industrial, 6x residential, 4x commercial - rinse and repeat, and make sure to start that railroad track EARLY, then run the game on something silly fast - like a 486 DX4, and let it run all night on no disasters annd auto-budget - you'll be able to build a sprawling metropolis in no time with that strategy).

The Sims were a bit weird. I never really enjoyed playingg out the lives of my sims so much as I enjoyed building out houses. There was a period of time I was using The Sims 2 for "virtual actors" for music videos for my own compositions and a cover or two but people found this stuff CREEPY. I still enjoy the Original and it's a bit of a subject for "system requirement smearing" on my old systems. I kind of enjoy, sometimes, more using it as a torture chamber of sorts for SIms created in likeness of people I can't stand - mostly I use The Sims 2 for that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mike For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (12-16-2020)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing I liked about the SIMS in the late days was all the XXX skins and other actions. Like getting them high. SIMS online was an XXX parade. It even got noticed on the news.

My friend had SIMS and a house of two people attempting to get it on.

That is it for the SIMS series.

SIMS2 I used to take pictures of a house for my drafting class. We had to go around the neighborhood and take pictures of houses and rebuild the houses via Autocad. I had a copy of 2004 which was the same program basically.

SIMS 2 and SIMCITY 2000 ( or is it 4000 ) you could use the items from SIM CITY in SIMS 2.