Thread: Just reached my summer RPG goal tonight!

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Default Just reached my summer RPG goal tonight!

I just beat the 3rd and final rpg that i planned to beat this summer, Final Fantasy 7. Not only is it the 3rd this summer, it's my 6th for the whole year!

Heres what I've conquered (in order beaten) so far for the year 2003:
    Xenogears = ps1
    Xenosaga: Episode 1 = ps2
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends = GC
    Wild Arms = ps1
    Legend of Legaia = ps1
    Final Fantasy VII = ps1

i think i can give a break on rpgs for the rest of the year, there are tons of new releases that i plan on spending much time with. Viewtiful Joe is at the top of that list hehehe. Anyways i thought i'd tell you guys of my recent gaming exploits, i thought they were worthy of bragging rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Congrats. You're goal was a lot more realistic than mine I suppose (beat all Final Fantasy's this summer including Mystic's Quest & Choco's Dungeon 2 x_x )

I've only completed 8-10 and started on 1 last night. I feel your pain, but I'm determined to get the rest done by the time the year is out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

thanks. and good luck with those rpgs. keep me updated on that cause i'd like to know when you reach that goal, its pretty insane imo but i think it can be done . *crossing my fingers for ya*

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm trying to get myself built up for the Deus run in Xenogears this week least before I go back to school next week an dloose most my free time.

Beat Eternal Blue Complete earlier this Summer, maybe one day pick back up with FF9 and Chrono Cross.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could always bump up your figures by playing something like Sword of Vermillion on Mega Drive. I remember buying that game on a Friday and trading it in as soon as the shop re-opened on the Monday because I'd finished it!

Incidentally, with FFVII, did you just play to complete it or did you have a good wander round too?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Back in college and grad school, when I got stressed, I would make sure that my homework was either done or could be put off and would spend a weekend just playing a RPG from start to finish. Taking time out to spend a little time with friends and eating and the like, normaly going from Friday afternoon after work and lasting until early Monday morning. The best game I can recall doing that with was Phantasy Star IV (on ROM), but I did a bunch of NES/SNES/Genesis games by doing that weekend trick.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Wow, dude. To be honest I'm wowed by anyone that can actually get THROUGH an RPG. I'm so unbelievably bad at them, I think it's an achievement to get through just one. The last one I went through was LUNAR: SSS early this summer, but I had a 20-25 hour head start going into like June.

Right on bro, keep beaten' them thar role player'n games, there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I'm with RetroYoungen, I have NEVER EVER beat an RPG in my life. The most time I've spent with one is 13 or so hrs on Skies of Arcadia Legends before it got unbearably boring and about halfway through Vandal Hearts before I just watched my stepdad finish his game of VH. I played PSO on the DC until I'd built up my character, Saul T. Sack to level 69 (not that I stopped there for any particular reason, that just happened to be when I lost interest ). Keep on whooping it up, but I'll be the one playing racing games and whatnot .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First RPG I really sad down and played to beat (Besides 2600 Adventure...hehe), was Eye of the Beholder 2 on my PC. Took me something like 3 nearly nonstop days of playing to get through it.

As for others since, I beat FF7 on my PC as well several years back. Took me a week as I recall of playing. I would go to work, come home and stay up much later than a married grown man should to play it. I did wander in that game and eventually found the Knights of the Round materia...good stuff...

Since I have tried to beat other RPGs when I can. I am about 80% through Landstalker on my Genesis, and like 40% through Immortal. I have beaten Chrono Trigger and did that in a weekend. That is really about it otherwise. There are tons I have started...but never completed like Secret of Mana, FF2, Mystic Quest (80% complete I guess..), Light Crusader on my Genny. and I don't any of the Phantasy Star games for my Genesis still so I haven't gotten into those. Oh, on my Saturn I am like 60% through Shining the Holy Ark. But for some reason I lost interest in that one. I also have starts on FFX and Balder's Gate DA. So you can see, that what I need to do is stop buying the damn things and actually sit down and play some games again. Maybe after my OKGE show in Septemeber I can rest a bit. Lord knows I won't have the money after my show for a loooonnnggg time. So I won't be able to get new stock...and will be forced to sit and play though some games...hehe.

I could never set a goal on playing through them. I basically just get an itch to play an RPG from time to time, and then just go at it until one is completed. Then I have my RPG fix for a while. However, I suspect I am due for another one soon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@djbeat- did you use a guide to beat FF VII? I'm halfway thru the 1st disc, not spending a lot of time on it, but I dont feel like I'm "doing it right". Seems there's too much for this gamer to keep track of (Materia... x_x )

Any tips/guidelines for a fellow adventurer? (w/out referring me to a guide) RPGs arent usually my bag but I wanna finish this!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The ones I've baten over the years have been: Dragon Warrior 1, 3 and 4, Final Fantasy 1, 4-6. Lufia 1 and 2 as well as both lunars for PSX. phatasy Star IV also and Secret of Mana (if that counts). I ever get ambitious I'm working to finish Xenogears off soon then likely go back to FF9. I ever get to it I'll finish Tales of Phantasia.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    Wow, dude. To be honest I'm wowed by anyone that can actually get THROUGH an RPG. I'm so unbelievably bad at them, I think it's an achievement to get through just one. The last one I went through was LUNAR: SSS early this summer, but I had a 20-25 hour head start going into like June.
    Um, I've beaten Dragon Warrior once or twice. Heh. And the Diablo games. But those are more of a fancy Flash game, but with more network problems. Oh, and I've finished Hydlide. Yes, the original NES one. By choice. Within the past year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

RJ, I did use a guide, only so i don't have to putz around. and i did play through all of the game before except to the end when i first got it, a memory card accident wiped my memory card clean at the put right before i got to fight sephiroth so i had been turned off for a while.

basically the only tip i can tell you is keep your inventory up no matter what the situation is. keep like 5-10 tents, try to max out on the highest quality potions, and about 30 remedies, later on try to get like 30 ether's in your inventory. its good to always be prepared even if you spells can back you up in a fight. also, make show the items you equip effect your materia. its important that your materia grow all the time. and one thing i did, i had everyone in my immediate part loaded with summons, i used everything summon in that game and even had 2 maxed out Choco/mog summons lol.

and this is an average tip for all rpgs. pay close attention to all text that occurs in any scene, other than being key parts in the story they usually state the place you should be looking for. if not, talk to your common folk

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

I remember back in my finest gaming heyday around 10-12 years ago, there was a summer where I beat around 90 games (a few rpgs). Once or twice, I beat 5 games in one day, and there were a few where I beat 3 in one day. Basically though, I averaged one a day. And these are games I had never beaten before. I'd rent one, beat it, bring it back, and rent another. Damn....that was on eof the top 3 summers I'v e ever had....sob....the good ol' days...

Considering my list of games beaten is around 450 games, that was a truly remarkable summer...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Curretly I am working on Dragon Warrior VI and I am loving it!
    I just need to get/find DW 5 and 7.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick