Thread: Wrestle With Gaming History of the Neo-Geo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Default Wrestle With Gaming History of the Neo-Geo

Any other fans of the system here ? I linked this video since i like how WWG cover this system.Sure it was a very expensive console on it's release but in the 90's it brought the arcade experience home.The likes of the genesis,TG16 and snes couldn't compare to it in terms of power.Sure it was saturated with fighters but it did it very well.For any one else i like to hear if you have fond memories of the system.Either playing it on the aes or in the arcades for the mvs.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I actually owned an MVS for a few years. I had Metal slug, Baseball Stars, Samurai Shodown 1 + 2, and Sengoku. I would have kept it but having to move and not being able to afford the games, especially when the recession hit, made it hard to hold onto. I think I still have the manuals and whatnot for some of the games. I now just started using the neo geo mini. Nothing beats the 4-slot that I had, and it was a fun machine.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I knew one person that had one, and we largely felt he wasted his money, and a lot of it. This was in the 1993-94-95 range. There were so many systems out and coming back then, my circle of friends just largely ignored it. I was not big on fighting games, either. Good thorough review though.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

199.99 for a cartridge in 1990 is equivalent to about $402 today. no video game is worth over $400 in my opinion.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I was barely, if at all, aware of the existence of SNK and the Neo Geo (MVS or AES) in the '90s. I was introduced to it all after the turn of the century, when I first met my husband. He's a big fan and consolized an MVS himself. I still have never played an AES, but I don't really see a point in doing so. A consolized MVS is cheaper, and so are MVS carts versus AES carts, and I think it's really dumb that they made this high-end home console and yet limited it to composite straight out of the box. We have universal bios for our consolized MVS, so we can play any game in home mode if we want, along with changing the region and such, and you can plug AES and Neo CD controllers into an MVS. And we've bought shockboxes for most of our MVS carts, so they look impressive on a shelf just like CIB AES games do. It's all pretty bulky, though, so we admittedly don't set up the MVS much anymore. It was more worthwhile having in the early '00s, back when Neo Geo emulation was still pretty iffy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow nice to see a Neo Geo thread here. Haven't posted here on digitpress in eons. I'm THEMAN, the annhialator of worlds over at the neo geo forums. I'm sure there might be some peeps here who are members there as well. Nice vid about the Neo Geo.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I remember seeing that video, it was a good look at the system! I still have my MVS cabinet with a bunch of games and my AES with 30 something games. That thing was like a myth to me as a kid, and I finally got my own when I was I think 23 years old... god, that was almost 20 years ago now. I have a lot of stories with that thing, and now I enjoy playing it with my sons. That reminds me... I'm still waiting on my Kraut Buster AES pre-order from, like, 5-6 years ago. I had a whole different career and less kids then, and I'm still waiting. Never again for ngdev for me.