Thread: Wow, Silent Hill games are suddenly expensive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

it's not just the stimulus that is helping, but the extra $600/week from the federal government. I see it on the live streams on Youtube. if you were a low-wage worker and got laid off because of Covid-19 you basicslly hit the jackpot. I was actually hoping the pandemic was going to drive video game prices down and thered be more games showing up at used game stores and eBay but the opposite has happened

I am wondering if Canadians are similarly getting massive handouts during this

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd hardly call what Americans are receiving "massive handouts".

But it is a weird time to be shopping for retro games. I wouldn't be surprised if there are also a lot of people holding off on selling because they don't want to have to visit a post office, and if fewer copies are currently available, that could drive prices up too. But horror games have always appeared to be like RPGs in that titles that have big names (but not big print runs), were highly acclaimed, or now have a "cult classic" status can really inflate in price. Better to pick them up sooner than later. But personally I wouldn't be shopping for retro games until the world is in a more normal place and prices can level off to wherever they should be if they've been affected.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are also a lot of people holding off on selling because they don't want to have to visit a post office, and if fewer copies are currently available, that could drive prices up too.
    In general the PS2 is having prices rise as it's getting to that age where it actually feels vintage, but if prices are actually spiking a bit now I think it's because of another reason.

With all the restaurants, bars, theaters, concerts, sporting events, and most stores/entertainment places closed, people have more disposable money now, and with nothing really to do except stay at home it's the perfect time to play some video games and catch up on titles that were previously put off on purchasing. I'd rather cook food at home than order in takeout, part of the appeal of restaurants is the experience of actually eating out, especially socially with friends. It's amazing how much most people usually spend on eating out or going places for entertainment, or traveling in general for vacations. Like just stopping for a coffee at Starbucks or buying a soda at a convenience store. I guess I've mostly been thrifty anyway as not too much has changed for me, mostly not bothering to take the bus anywhere as everyplace is closed so there's no reason to travel for now. I'm just annoyed I can't buy things I need like new shoes or clothing as stores are all closed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

FWIW, I haven't visited a post office to send a package in ages. If it's under a certain number of ounces, one can leave it in her mailbox and the postal worker will pick it up. I've saved a lot of time/gas money doing this. You can drop it in a collection box as well.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's highly dependent on where one lives. Postal carriers here only deliver mail. They don't even take letters, let alone packages, from private mailboxes. The public boxes only take letters. If I want to ship any kind of package, I have to go to a post office (or UPS store or what have you). I know I have a few things I'd like to sell that I'm holding off on because I don't want to increase my exposure to other people.

Some people have more disposable income now, but there are also mass amounts of people getting by on less. Massive amounts of people have lost their work entirely or seen their income diminished, food pantries are seeing a huge spike in demand, many are still waiting to receive their relief checks and/or unemployment, unemployment plus an extra $600 is still less than what a lot of people were making, and essentials like groceries have gotten more expensive. So I would think it'd be a wash, with the people with more disposable income and the people with less canceling each other out. But then you get into other factors like how the availability of retro games is right now and what the demographics of retro game collectors are like to begin with (probably more likely to have tech jobs they can do from home) and the fact many splurge with their tax refunds, and prices can get screwy.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I just see people on live streams openly admitting that they are willing to donate more because theyre getting the extra dollars each week. and I saw a video on CNN about restaurants who cant get his employees to come back because 1, they are getting more now, and 2, they dont want to risk exposure

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The fact those cases exist doesn't negate anything I said. There are more people in this world than those who appear on live streams and CNN videos you watch.