Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
@Gameguy

You should probably keep it in the realm of realism if you're going to argue against my Resident Evil 2 plays like a modern version of the original Resident Evil 2. Modernized versions of the games are going to play different, but based on your comparison, such as my comparison is like Gradius plays just like Star Fox? Then here's an idea. Stop playing modern consoles and only play classic games, because it's clear you're only going to bitch about them. So instead of just constantly bitching about them, do yourself a favor and just don't play them. Problem solved.
That's what I said I do, I don't really play modern games. Except for some indie games that play like old ones.

However, if you take classic Resident Evil's tank controls, that translates pretty well into your modern third person shooter. Up moves you forward, left and right on the right stick turns your character, back well, has your character walk backwards. You have the left stick left and right which adds strafe which is something you couldn't do but otherwise pretty similar right? Infact, Resident Evil Outbreak has tank controls and Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 has tank controls and you can strafe left and right. They're still tank controls, you now just have the visibility of viewing the character behind the back instead of overhead and instead of just holding L1 and hitting square to shoot, you actually have to aim your shots. That's pretty much the biggest difference.
The aiming is the biggest difference, and that's a part of the tank controls I mentioned. I didn't view aiming as something separate from the tank controls when I mentioned preferring them. Just talking about walking itself between tank controls and the modern analog stick controls, they're close enough. Overall I dislike having to aim precisely with an analog stick, with a lightgun it would be fun, but aiming with analog sticks just gets on my nerves far more than older methods of aiming. In 3D shooters, I like the old Wolfenstein 3D or Duke Nukem 3D where you just face the enemy to aim at them, I don't need to precisely aim at their head, chest, or appendages to kill them. That's more fun to me. Or arcade games like Silent Scope where you're using a lightgun to aim.

Overall with modern 3D games I don't mind modern controls as much with adventure games as I can take my time exploring everything, I don't like that when I'm dealing with enemies.

Classic Resident Evil games are prerendered games that look to play as if they're 3D and the tank controls allow the player to not switch screens and then spin out of control. Otherwise the games play exactly the same, item management is identical. You can try and spin it if you want, but we both know this is true, I know it, you know. Everyone in the forum who has touched the game knows it. There's very little difference between the original and the remake.
I just like the prerendered backgrounds in comparison to the modern version because each shot is framed specifically, it just looks cinematic to me as the camera in every shot is specifically placed at specific heights and angles the way well made films are carefully framed. In the remake the modern camera follows you around so you're not getting as specific controlled angles and perspectives, it's just an environment to move through. It's funny how when I say I don't like the new controls as much, like the movement and combat(aiming), you bring up item management which aren't the controls and then say they basically play exactly the same. The way your character moves and fights enemies is different, that's enough of a difference.

Like I said, the remakes are still good games, I just prefer the original versions more.