Thread: Just got one step closer to being a digital download advocate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I guess it depends on the individuals as I got my Genesis when I was 4 and I kept everything in excellent condition, including the boxes and manuals. I always tried to take care of my stuff, sometimes some things I owned like comic books got accidentally damaged but it's not like I wasn't bothered by it.

Another part is that things are just more fragile than they used to be. Compare cartridge games to disc games, and cheaper cases compared to PS1 cases. I don't think you can snap a disc when removing it from a PS1 case if you tried. Some DVD cases are difficult to remove discs from, earlier ones were better quality. Or just compare letting kids use VHS tapes before DVDs came along, or cassette tapes before CDs, or a Gameboy cartridge compared to a DS cartridge. Or the original Gameboy to the GBA SP with it's breakable hinge. All these things aren't designed to be as durable as their predecessors, almost on purpose so they're more disposable.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I was always pretty adverse to digital content until I realized how cluttered my place is and that it is a "greener" solution to stream everything now. I still buy physical media if I *really* like a game/movie/album/book but if it's something just to enjoy for the time being and then move on to something else, Id rather stream it. I can't imagine now in 2020 or beyond, going outside my home when it is 5 degrees and snowing, driving across town to the rental store, getting the game disc and driving back home, then having to do that again in 7 days. yeah fuck that. I've done Redbox now and then, usually if a film isn't on streaming platforms. physical media has its place but I've warmed up to it recently and it's hard to deny that the Switch library is awesome for digital content. some of those games I do wish were on physical media though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I did cave and get the digital download of BoTW as a few of my kids asked for it. Now I have to enforce a schedule so not one person plays it for more than a certain amount of time. Plus I already had to have a discussion with my third eldest stepson about bullying folks on how to play the game. One of my twin step daughters sounded the "jerk alert" as she wanted to explore and he had other plans of what she should do.

Even though the price was premium, the game is essentially safe and available to all profiles.

Over the extended holiday I installed a Blinking Light Win into an NES that's meant for my wife's Air BnB. I discovered it had a death grip unlike any other. The more distressing part is that one of the cartridges I have for it, Kung Fu, is bad. On top of that, a DS game I gave as a gift, Transformersecepticons, didn't want to work. I cleaned it well and eventually it worked.

Chaulk up a couple more points for downloading.

I'd really love an FPGA handheld that played NES games. I'd becin heaven.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I have a Blinking Light Win with the death grip on it too. It's a minor annoyance but it's still better than the non-working 72 pin. Eventually I will just get an NES2 since I'm fine with RG signal anyways.

worst designed console ever made. every other console I own is built like a tank and has little to no issues

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who has a 5th child on the way. I get this. 3 of my 4 current children (2 teens and an 11 year old) are all gamers. We lay down a rule that if they can't take care of their own stuff they won't get to play with our stuff. My boys are pretty careless with their own posessions. They have consoles in their room and yes, digital is typically the way it goes for them unless they use birthday, christmas, chore money etc, to get their own physical games. We have an Xbox Series X in the living room and with me and my wife both working from home, we usually have eyes on the kids. Thankfully they are not as bad as when they were younger. I do not go 100% physical anymore, because some games I just don't care if I own physical copies and realistically...If i download a game and fall in love with it, I will grab a used copy later anyways. So I am in the middle. Until my kids are old enough to buy all their own games, I typically gift them with nintend/microsoft/playstation gift cards for digital purchase.
    Last edited by Genesaturn; 12-28-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So, gonna bumpify this because I had an experience that showed me a downside of digital downloads.

Recently, my Nintendo Switch developed problems--it still plays games, but the power button doesn't register being pressed and there's a weird "bright area" on the screen. I think something got spilled on it. Regardless, I figured it prudent to get a second Switch and transfer all my account data over before attempting repairs or anything like that.

I thought this would allow me to just move the MicroSD card over as well, but nope... different Switch, so it had to be formatted. And this meant every game I owned that wasn't a physical cart had to be re-downloaded.

And since I have one of those lame internet plans where my download allowance is limited during the day but unlimited at night, well... you can see where I might have a few issues.

To be honest though its not so bad. I chose to prioritize the games I'm likely to play in the next few days (so... Puyo Puyo Tetris and Celest. I also now own Breath of the Wild but that one is a physical cart and I haven't bought any of the DLC yet). But I am looking at it being a long time before I have my entire library up and running again.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What happens if you get banned from a service? Is it possible to be banned from say your Sony or Microsoft account so you lose access to the games you paid for?