Thread: Just got one step closer to being a digital download advocate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So, gonna bumpify this because I had an experience that showed me a downside of digital downloads.

Recently, my Nintendo Switch developed problems--it still plays games, but the power button doesn't register being pressed and there's a weird "bright area" on the screen. I think something got spilled on it. Regardless, I figured it prudent to get a second Switch and transfer all my account data over before attempting repairs or anything like that.

I thought this would allow me to just move the MicroSD card over as well, but nope... different Switch, so it had to be formatted. And this meant every game I owned that wasn't a physical cart had to be re-downloaded.

And since I have one of those lame internet plans where my download allowance is limited during the day but unlimited at night, well... you can see where I might have a few issues.

To be honest though its not so bad. I chose to prioritize the games I'm likely to play in the next few days (so... Puyo Puyo Tetris and Celest. I also now own Breath of the Wild but that one is a physical cart and I haven't bought any of the DLC yet). But I am looking at it being a long time before I have my entire library up and running again.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What happens if you get banned from a service? Is it possible to be banned from say your Sony or Microsoft account so you lose access to the games you paid for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Microsoft- games downloaded still work, save for online ones.

PSN-is a little less clear. It sounds like if the account is suspended, you can't access "products and services" but doesn't specifically say "thou canst play your downloaded games".

Steam- downloaded games playable but online activity shut off.

Nintendo- even less clear than Sony. Doing a brief Goigle search I turned up nothing from Nintendo. I read articles that went one way or the other with access. A writer for CNN had their account hacked and it was suspended so they tried everything. Games with heavy online or part of a famiky account won't work. Already downloaded games seem to work.

All the console manufacturers can not only ban accounts but systems as well.

It definitely strikes a bit of fear but it takes something bad and stupid to get banned. Nintendo seems the most stringent, with what accounts to a "two strikes, your Switch is perma-banned", though will take it on a case by case basis.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

My friend who pirates anything and everything says he can't go online with his Switch because Nintendo banned him

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I mainly ask because someone on another board mentioned being banned by Sony and not being able to redownload the games he already purchased. It turned out to be a temp ban so he eventually got access again but that would scare me in case something happened to my console and I lost my downloads. It's not easy to back things up unless you mod a system, backing up a PC hard drive is pretty simple by comparison. Of course having to buy spare hard drives for backups gets expensive too. Anytime you have a drive full of data you need at least another one to have a copy of it or you could lose it all if a crash happens. If you have 5 full drives, you really need 10. If you have large drives to consolidate everything, it's easier to lose everything at once compared to using several smaller drives. Cartridges and factory pressed discs are more reliable than a hard drive, and you're less likely to lose everything at once.