Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeopardy!: Sports Edition (SNES) - Least interesting title ever made?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fair enough but I would like to point out that unlike annual releases people just don't stop liking sports. So sports trivia may be eternal for some.

And I would appreciate if you addressed whether or not vapid kids games are more unappealing than Jeopardy!: Sports Edition.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I guess maybe my definition of "are" differs from yours. take a poll of people who "are" playing retro games. "sports" will be very low on that list of genres when asked what their favorite genre is. I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain that.
    Your definition of "are" must be different as numerous people have told you that you're "wrong".

Your statement wasn't limited to retro games, you said that people won't like retro sports games because the genre as a whole(which includes modern games) is the least popular, which isn't true as sports games continue to be popular and sell well. Even if sports games aren't that popular overall, you said the genre is the least popular genre, which isn't true as several other genres are less popular than sports.

Also, why poll people about their most favourite genre? You should be asking about their most hated genre as you're trying to figure out what the least popular genre is. Even that's still wrong as the truly least popular genres won't come up as most people won't even think about them, there's so many genres that are barely known by most people unlike sports games. Less popular genres aren't necessarily the most hated of all genres, just least thought about. Least popular can also vary by region, dating sims aren't popular in North America but they're popular in Japan.

Maybe you're confusing "least popular" with "most disliked among retro gamers specifically"? Even then I'm not sure that's correct with sports games. Crappy edutainment games keep coming up when I think of what games I most disliked as a genre. Though I'm not the target market for them either as I'm not a toddler so that might be unfair as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

TBH I think to a certain extent we're all conflating quite a bit. A proper title may have been "What do you think is the most unappealing SNES title."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

mmkay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    mmkay
    It was a joke. Guess it didn't land.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca88 View Post
    It was a joke. Guess it didn't land.
    I only responded the way I did in detail there because of how he responded to you, basically acting like you're an idiot who's too stupid to understand what he was saying. Your interpretation was completely correct, he argued his point poorly. Even quoting himself again in that insult to you which shows the problem with that specific argument, his wording of "in general" and "are" which both meant all sports games not limited to just classic games and meaning that those views are still current to the genre, which they aren't.

Basically his wording suggested that sports games as a genre even today aren't liked or popular, so by that reason classic sports games are also unpopular, as no sports games are liked regardless of age.

That specific point of his talked about the genre of sports games, not specifically towards the majority of all sports games produced throughout history. He later stated correctly that the majority of all sports games in existence aren't cared about by most people, collectors, and modern sports game fans, but that's different than the genre itself not being popular.

You were right in interpreting that the view of classic sports games has changed since those games were current, and collectors view those today differently than how modern current sports games are viewed by fans of current sports games. Modern current sports games are very popular and are very profitable, they sell well. Most fans of sports games want modern rosters which is why they prefer current games over classic ones, and why older releases quickly lose popularity and value. It's not because the entire genre "in general" is disliked or unpopular. If he meant that statement specifically towards classic sports games, that's not what he actually said.