Thread: Resident Evil turns 25

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Resident Evil turns 25

The North American version of Resident Evil was released 25 years ago- March 30th, 1996. March 22nd in Japan. This to me is easily the most profoundly impactful video game ever released. It wasn't the first survival horror game and it wasn't the first game that played like an interactive Hollywood film but it was the first that did both and the first that did it really well; this was a game that scared the hell out of me as a kid (6 years old at the time.) The zombies weren't even the scariest part of the game. Really for me it was just the dread of not knowing what was around the next corner. The finite amount of ammo and herbs that was scattered about the mansion. The background music really did it for me. Unforgiving difficulty in the way of limited saves by way of ink ribbons, monsters that were faster and stronger than you, could take more hits than you. and not only are you dealing with hideous creatures that can easily overpower you, but you are faced with numerous puzzles throughout the game.

There's not much else I can say about this game that hasn't been said already but I will just say that this game was scarier than any horror movie I had seen and it's hard to imagine a world of video games where the Resident Evil franchise never existed.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

When I first got a PS1, I was bummed. For awhile it seemed like every game was crap.... Resident Evil was the first PS1 game I actually liked (I had the Director's Cut BTW).

For me tho I never found RE particularly scary, rather it had a sort of camp charm about it. I loved things like the weird dialogue (anyone but me remember "this weapon is really powerful, ESPECIALLY against living things!"?)

One reason I don't like the modern RE's as much is that they took a turn for serious and edgy, and like... serious and edgy zombie stories are so overdone.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Yeah I agree with all of that. and that line always cracked me up even as a child. like what else is someone using the weapon against? Buildings? Water?

I read a great thread on GameFAQs that explains the weird dialogue. It had to do with how it was translated from Japanese. The Japanese dialogue makes a lot more sense Ive heard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never really played RE until 4 came out on Gamecube. I think I played a demo of the first game and it reminded me a lot of Alone in the Dark. I didn't touch any of the other games until 4, which I played through and beat. After that, I didn't play any other of the games. Not sure why but I just didn't have the urge.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Yeah I agree with all of that. and that line always cracked me up even as a child. like what else is someone using the weapon against? Buildings? Water?

I read a great thread on GameFAQs that explains the weird dialogue. It had to do with how it was translated from Japanese. The Japanese dialogue makes a lot more sense Ive heard
    Stop Skeletons From Fighting also mentioned that. Apparently the script was written in Japanese but then translated into English, but the translators weren't fluent English speakers and thus did a really literal translation or something like that.

I think they had to have known some English, because stuff like "you were almost a Jill Sandwich" sounds like something only a fluent English speaker would say.

That said, there's a double-funny about the "powerful against living things" line.... like, great telling us that in a game where you mostly fight creatures who AREN'T alive, Barry!

.... At least, I think the undead don't count as "alive" technically, or do they? And then there's stuff like the giant spiders... crap I just went down a semantics rabbit hole.

One thing that still gets me about RE1 is how there's so many sequences that only happen if you do specific things, like I know there's one sequence where Barry accompanies you out onto the balcony to find Kenneth's crow-pecked body, but I can't recall how you trigger this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I think I played a demo of the first game and it reminded me a lot of Alone in the Dark.
    I would hope so, and thank god people actually remember that Alone in the Dark was a thing before Resident Evil.

I never did play the Alone in the Dark games after part three. Was New Nightmare any good?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Yeah I know that if you keep going into the hallway with the first zombie but back out before turning the corner, then go back to the main foyer area, the first zombie comes out into the dining area and Barry shoots him.