Thread: coax adapters: multiple in , one out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default coax adapters: multiple in , one out?

Hi all,

I have several old systems that all connect via coax cables to the TV. It's annoying to disconnect/reconnect the cable anytime I switch systems. Is there an adapter that allows multiple coax inputs and one output? Splitters do the opposite. I have an A/V adapter that goes 3-to-1, with a toggle switch that allows you to choose which of the three sources is active. Can't seem to find something similar for coax connections. How do others handle multiple older systems and one TV?

Thanks,
    jeff

OK- When posting this, "Similar Threads" might have given me an answer (I had tried searching before posting, but got too many results to properly review.)

Answer: coaxial switchbox. Any recommendations for/against? Thanks again.
    Last edited by jhd7; 11-14-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

the only thing i could add is to get a decent quality one, preferably an amplified one as well.

are you still using switch boxes/rf adapters on these systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    the only thing i could add is to get a decent quality one, preferably an amplified one as well.

are you still using switch boxes/rf adapters on these systems?
    Thanks for the reply...

Yes. The systems are: NES original, NES top-loader, SNES, and ColecoVision. They all have their original RF adapter that ends with a coax output. It's those outputs I'd like to feed into a single switchbox (rather than always crawling behind the TV). An Internet search showed one that looks perfect, but it's only for radio devices (ham radios, antennas, etc.). Finding anything that seems suitable, quality or not, is the hurdle. I'm no electronics expert so any advice and guidance is much appreciated. Are there other ways to connect multiple systems to one TV?

Thanks again,
    jeff

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhd7 View Post
    Are there other ways to connect multiple systems to one TV?
    You could just daisy chain the RF switches together in series, I'm not sure how the video quality would be affected but it's possible. Two of those systems mentioned could use AV cables instead of RF without needing any modding so that's another option to reduce the need to switch between cables.

I am happy to hear someone is still using the original hookups instead of modding the systems, I'm the same way but I don't currently keep my systems hooked up to my TV so there's no switching between cables.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I do recall at some point using my toploader NES (unmodded) and when it involved connecting to a TV with a digital cable box, it mattered if the game console was connected to the TV before or after the cable.
    Although I'm not sure how many people are still using cable these days, let alone any idea if modern digital cable boxes even support RF out (my guess would be, no, not with boxes made after the analog shutoff).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Thanks for the reply...

Yes. The systems are: NES original, NES top-loader, SNES, and ColecoVision. They all have their original RF adapter that ends with a coax output. It's those outputs I'd like to feed into a single switchbox (rather than always crawling behind the TV). An Internet search showed one that looks perfect, but it's only for radio devices (ham radios, antennas, etc.). Finding anything that seems suitable, quality or not, is the hurdle. I'm no electronics expert so any advice and guidance is much appreciated. Are there other ways to connect multiple systems to one TV?

Thanks again,
    jeff
    yea i see that, i guess i forgot what year it was. i've had so many switch boxes that did RF. i had one that did rf, composite, component and ethernet too. it was pretty bad ass. i at one time had a rgb extron switch box but when you move you tend to get rid of things and i know i sold those. starting to think that move was a mistake. any way i know theres something out there.

what ham radio thing did you find on your searches?

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You could just daisy chain the RF switches together in series, I'm not sure how the video quality would be affected but it's possible. Two of those systems mentioned could use AV cables instead of RF without needing any modding so that's another option to reduce the need to switch between cables.

I am happy to hear someone is still using the original hookups instead of modding the systems, I'm the same way but I don't currently keep my systems hooked up to my TV so there's no switching between cables.
    you could but it'll degrade the signal, and depending on the tv and the fact theres a coleco vision in the mix that has as weak a video signal of a 2600, if not worse, a switch box would be better. amplified would be best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea i see that, i guess i forgot what year it was. i've had so many switch boxes that did RF. i had one that did rf, composite, component and ethernet too. it was pretty bad ass. i at one time had a rgb extron switch box but when you move you tend to get rid of things and i know i sold those. starting to think that move was a mistake. any way i know theres something out there.

what ham radio thing did you find on your searches?

you could but it'll degrade the signal, and depending on the tv and the fact theres a coleco vision in the mix that has as weak a video signal of a 2600, if not worse, a switch box would be better. amplified would be best
    I can't find that webpage, but the device looked like the attached pic, but with female coax inputs. The seller was talking about radio signals and antennas, no mention of TV or video. Damn, why didn't I bookmark it?

Only the front-loading NES has A/V outputs. The switchbox (or whatever device works) can have coax, A/V, or HDMI outputs... something a new TV can take in. btw - when they start describing limits with regard to amps, ohms, frequency, Ghz, etc, I'm lost.

-jeff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switchbox-l500.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	10956

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Only the front-loading NES has A/V outputs.
    You mentioned SNES as well, that uses an easy to find composite AV cable. I wish I could find the official SNES S-Video cable just for completion. So there's really the NES toploader and ColecoVision that are RF dependent, two systems. Technically the ColecoVision needs an adapter to be coaxial with the original included two-prong manual switchbox, just something else in the mix to string together which I find a bit funny. Though you could use an aftermarket direct coaxial connection as well, which would be fine if using a multi-switchbox like you want to find.

I have seen coaxial multi-switchboxes in the past but mostly old used ones from the 1970's or 1980's, they never looked all that reliable so I never bought any. I've never really come across any new types like mentioned in this thread with HDMI, I would assume they're uncommon and expensive.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You could just daisy chain the RF switches together in series, I'm not sure how the video quality would be affected but it's possible.
    I have this setup on a TV in my basement with 3 RF adapters connected to each other, then into the TV. It's a setup I have just to test things or piddle around with, I couldn't give an accurate assessment has to how much interference there is in the video, but it's perfectly useable.

I know the NES and SNES (and possibly top loader) all use the same RF connector. Maybe if they are grouped together you could just swap one RF connector out between the 3. That's not fun, but definitely easier than unscrewing connectors on the back of the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

you know i just had a random thought.

i'm pretty sure all those systems use an RCA style connector for RF out to the RF switch box.

why couldnt we use a av switch box with RCA connectors on it. connect all the consoles with rca cables to, lets say yellow inputs to keep it simple, and then the RF adapter to the yellow RCA output?
    i mean it just needs to pass a signal right? the switch box shouldnt be doing any processing, it might amplify it a little which is perfectly ok in my book

thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A workable solution has been achieved:

On a 3-to-1 AV switch:
    NES
    SNES
    XBOX

On a 2-to-1 coax switch:
    NES top-loader
    ColecoVision

On the way: a HyperSpin box that will use HDMI. Pics later this week.

I found the AV adapter for the SNES in box of extra cables. The XBOX was in another room, but moved to this setup when an AV opening became available.

Many thanks to everyone for their insight and expertise!

-jeff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not much compared to other Rooms of Doom... heck, there's very little doom here. But it should keep me busy for awhile
    -jeff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gameroom_20221128.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	10957

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

its more than i got right now. all of my stuff is packed away still

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's not much compared to other Rooms of Doom... heck, there's very little doom here. But it should keep me busy for awhile
    -jeff
    It's still a nice setup, organised and clean.

its more than i got right now. all of my stuff is packed away still
    Same, all my stuff is packed up and stored so I can't play any of it. I have maybe a few handhelds accessible but nothing is organised so my games are all spread out in different locations, I haven't actually spent time playing anything in quite a while. For the most part the only game stuff that's really accessible at the moment is extra stuff I'm hoping to sell off.

you know i just had a random thought.

i'm pretty sure all those systems use an RCA style connector for RF out to the RF switch box.

why couldnt we use a av switch box with RCA connectors on it. connect all the consoles with rca cables to, lets say yellow inputs to keep it simple, and then the RF adapter to the yellow RCA output?
    i mean it just needs to pass a signal right? the switch box shouldnt be doing any processing, it might amplify it a little which is perfectly ok in my book

thoughts?
    I didn't think of this before but it would be nice to find out if this was possible, it could be a useful solution for similar situations in the future. It's a good idea.