Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Red face Grimace's Birthday for Game Boy Color (2023) by McDonald's

Download link:
    https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday

This is an archived file of the 2023 platformer game Grimace's Birthday, developed by Krool Toys, Gumpyfunction and Blezz Beats, and published by McDonald's for web browsers, but developed for the Game Boy Color system. It was released on June 12, 2023 as part of McDonald's currently ongoing promotion featuring the return of McDonaldland characters Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, Hamburglar and the McNugget Buddies for the Grimace's Birthday ice cream shake product served at U.S. McDonald's restaurants since June 12, 2023. The game is playable on https://grimacesbirthday.com/ as of now.

The game was originally exported using a .gb file format, however I've decided to include an alternative .gbc file format for those having issues with their emulators.
    This archive includes the original release version, version 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 revisions. Hope this helps you all! If there's something missing please review here so I can check and correct! Version 1.2 was released on June 13, 2023, and Version 1.3 was released on June 15, 2023. For Krool Toys' patch notes on revision 1.3, check their blog post on: https://twitter.com/krooltoys/status...52258168033282

The game sees Grimace, the McDonaldland tastebud (according to the McDonalds Twitter apparently) going across town to round up his McDonaldland pals: the Hamburglar, Birdie the Early Bird, and the McNugget Buddies; in order to properly celebrate his birthday party at his favorite local McDonalds restaurant.

GAME:
    Grimace must reach the end of the stage by reaching the goal point of each stage before time runs out. The first two levels see Grimace skating, while he goes barefoot on the last two stages. Grimace gets points for performing skating tricks and popping balloons. If Grimace gets hurt, he will trip and fall on the ground, losing points along the way. Hurry and press UP to get back up! For each time Grimace falls, you will lose 200 points (400 in Hard mode).
    Across the four levels in the game, there are 40 Grimace milkshakes to collect. They can be found spread across the entirety of all four levels.
    The Darkside Grind and 50-50 Grinds are automatically performed when grinding on rails if playing on the Normal difficulty. If playing on the Hard difficulty, Grimace must manually grind using the UP and DOWN buttons or else he will fall off the rails. Game points are doubled if played on Hard.

------CONTROLS------
    These are the game's controls as shown through the official website's instructions.
    --MENU CONTROLS--
    A BUTTON: Start game/Select menu option
    B BUTTON: Previous screen or menu/cancel option
    CONTROL PAD: Move selection
    SELECT: Change the color of Grimace's skateboard (only on the title screen). You can choose between purple, blue and green skateboard colors.

--GAME CONTROLS--
    - CONTROL PAD:
    * UP: Darkside Grind (if playing on Hard mode), makes Grimace get up after falling on the ground.
    * DOWN: 50-50 Grind (if playing on Hard mode), drop down a thin platform.
    * LEFT and RIGHT: Move Grimace.
    - A BUTTON: Jump. Hold A for a Super Jump. Press A and then press the B Button while in the air for a Kickflip. float higher in the air while inside the bubble.
    - B BUTTON: Kickflip (while in midair after pressing the A Button), pop the bubble while inside it.
    - START: Pause game. You can retry and skip levels here. (You can only skip levels in the main game mode)

-- SKATING MODE --
    Aside from the main game mode, there are two additional modes dedicated to Grimace's skating hobby seen in the first two levels.
    - In SCORE ATTACK, the player must score as many points as possible before time runs out in a wide area exclusive to the game mode. There are 20 presents spread throughout the area and are tallied at the end of the game.
    - In FREESKATE, the player can explore the SCORE ATTACK area without the time limit.

----- ORIGINAL GAME DESCRIPTION -----
    "Help Grimace find his friends in time to blow the candles out, and collect enough birthday shakes for his guests along the way!"

--- LITTLE FUN FACTS (from the archivist)---
    - On launch day (June 12, 2023), the game's website icon was based on Grimace's ingame sprite; however, the sprite's appearance beared a heavy resemblance to William Afton/Purple Guy from the Five Nights at Freddy's games! This was changed a day later after release
    - Archival was noticed by McDonald's Twitter management (hi mcdonalds my favorite food at mcdonalds is the chicken nuggets combo with large fries)
    - The game has an error screen if you try to play it on the original Game Boy models (original Game Boy, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light), though using certain code modifications this can be bypassed.
    - This game also has a crash handler! In 2023!
    - McDonalds please tell me why are you afraid to use Ronald McDonald again. I will understand

------

This is a officially published homebrew game by the McDonald's Corporation. It is not licensed or endorsed by Nintendo Co. Ltd or it's international divisions. This game was developed using GB Studio.

Grimace's Birthday is property of:
    Grimace's Birthday game: Krool Toys Limited
    McDonaldland characters (Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, Hamburglar and other characters): McDonald's Corporation
    Download link:
    https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I love the old school graphical layout of the website!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

did any one else get the birthday meal?
    we got some at work, i felt large purple and pear shaped after drinking the "shake"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I saw there was a video on youtube talking about this game but I didn't watch it. It's still nice that games are still being made like this for older consoles by actual large companies. That said I rarely ever eat at McDonald's anymore.