Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I might be wrong about this, but apparently the 7800 emulator is an older version (2008?!) and has pretty spotty compatibility compared to the 2600 side of things.

Way off topic, but are there any good paddle options for emulation on a PC, Pi, or console? I'd like to check out a few arcade and SMS paddle games but have never really looked into it. I seriously debated on buying the Gamestation just for its built-in paddle dial, then saw it won't work with added games, won't work on a PC, and doesn't even work too hot with the included games. I've heard good things about the VCS classic controller but didn't know about its compatibility with other systems or emulators.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I watched a couple and so far, in the rank of 1-10, around 7-8. The fact it's not 100% compatible is mentioned, especially with homebrews (and I think more so on the 7800 front). Controllers get the thumbs up and other controllers, like trackballs, seem to work fine.

I should be getting my joystick and paddles on Monday. I'll give them a try later in the week and I'll let ya know!
    I'm very interested to hear how thise paddles turn out! My old ones are so finnicky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I'm very interested to hear how thise paddles turn out! My old ones are so finnicky.
    I'm happy to report that they feel and play like the originals, at least in my opinion! I was able to try them that Monday when I got them. I hauled the ol' 4 switcher out of the basement and hooked it up to the VCR and played through the LCD main TV. Some of my kids played different modes in "Video Olympics"-two using my old school paddles (which were supposedly rebuilt when I bought them at Midwest Gaming Classic many moon ago) and the new. There were no hitches in the new paddles. I tried some "Breakout" and "Night Driver" and both played as I remember.

Same with the joystick-it feels like the original. It blows the Hyperkin Ranger out of the water with its heft and solid feel. I went to some of my "go to" games like "Spider Fighter" and "H.E.R.O." and everything worked well (though I had a sucky day playing "Spider Fighter" but that was me, not the controller).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have the 2600+ and think it is a overall OK product for its target. If people are informed and just want a HD 2600 I would say get a Retron77. The Retron77 is actually the better product if your just looking for just a HDMI 2600(SD card anyone). From a price point, and the sd card the Retron77 wins hands down. End of the day stella is stella. Does not matter what its running on. Just how it controls. If you do not care about cartridges, I would say get a Atari Gamestation Pro. Again a SD card slot. Sky is the limits for the amount of stuff you can run on this thing. Pound for Pound the best value of the 3 in my opinion.