Thread: Caveman Video Games - Bonk, Chuck Rock, Trog, Caveman Games, Primal Rage, Etc.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Caveman Video Games - Bonk, Chuck Rock, Trog, Caveman Games, Primal Rage, Etc.

What are your favorite video games starring or featuring cave people? Which games are missing from this starter list? Why were there more cavemen video games during the classic era? Do these "primitive" games appeal to our Stone Age brains? Which were the superior neighbors, the Rubbles or the Flintstones? DISCUSS!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Joe & Mac was my childhood caveman game.
    (Well, the SNES version which was pretty much a different game than the rest of the consoles it was released on. The others were more of a single-plane beat-em-up but that put an emphasis on the platforming.)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Chrono Trigger...

i guess thats technically a cave woman though so...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

My brother really enjoyed Tail of the Sun on Playstation. Such an odd game. As much as I enjoy playing all sorts of games, I struggle to think of a caveman themed game I really dug into aside from Bonk. Caveman games, the Chuck Rock sequel and spin-off BC Racers, the Joe & Macs, Flintstones games... maybe the original Wonder Boy and Adventure Island games a little bit. Oh, Adventures of Dino Riki was kinda fun.

Edit: Humans! I really enjoyed The Humans/Evolution Dino Dudes. That was a fun puzzler. I mostly play the Genesis version, but I have it on Jaguar and DS as well. I know it had a Game Boy port... I'm always surprised at how mamy consoles it was ported to!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 09-23-2023 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Big Nose the Caveman was a favorite of both my Mom and myself. It was one of the Camerica carts and its sequel, "Big Nose Freaks Out" was available as both a NES cart and as a cart for the Aladdin Deck Enhancer.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I'm going to go with Rad Warrior:
    https://thekingofgrabs.com/2018/04/2...-commodore-64/
    https://c64online.com/c64-games/rad-warrior/

You're a cave man in a post-apocalyptic jungle that starts the game throwing stones at the alien drones...then you find a suit of "ancient" (powered) armor that you use to enter the volcano and eventually defeat the alien overlords. Had it for the Apple ][ and it was during the time when a lot of games didn't have an "end" - this one did; it felt epic to beat it.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My favorites would be ones that aren't totally caveman-centric, like Chrono Trigger and EVO: Search for Eden. But for ones where you play a caveman from beginning to end, I'd go with Bonk. I've only beaten a couple games in the series, but they were fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Games that feature "Cave-Man/Dino Themes"

"I have no mouth and must scream" - A episode have a Neadethal. A military guy cursed to be ape-like.

"Dino-City" - I played this via SNES but playing the import title and seeing those breast-sprites ( the only other game that did that in 2D was "KOF" series ). In fact we should just make a thread about 2d boobies that jiggle jiggle. Fun fact the movie sorta goes with the Game, and you should watch it. I think this is as good as it gets when it comes to anything "Cave-man" based. In fact makes me think about this sitcom about cave-people.

"Mario World 2 Yoshi Island". I mean this game in general, and I forget maybe even Mario 3 had some cave-man elements. Again go watch the Saturday Morning cartoon of this. Point being I can not seperate the two anymore. I get the idea Koopa Kingdom = Dinosaur Islands.

"ECO search for Eden" ( forget the name ) but at some point you will evolve and have to face dino's and mad cave-men like creatures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you liked Ayla's story in Chrono Trigger, definitely check out Live A Live. One of the quests follows a caveman named Pogo, and you can really see how it led to Takashi Tokita and other staffers' work on Chrono Trigger.

Among caveman games Dino-Riki always stands out to me for a) having no ending and b) setting one level in ancient ruins and thus implying that the game isn't as prehistoric as it seems at first.

http://www.kidfenris.com/2016/07/lit...dino-riki.html

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that in Japanese, Dino Riki starred a Japanese wrestler. It would be like Hudson Soft to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorta. In the Japanese version a power-up turns Riki into Riki Choshu. It's still in the American version, but the wrestler now looks more like Takahashi Meijin.

https://tcrf.net/Adventures_of_Dino_Riki