Thread: How many games are in your collection?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default How many games are in your collection?

Are you sure about that? How long have you been doing this?

During my journey to catalogue my collection so i can better manage it and make it seem lest daunting, i asked my self these questions.
    I've been scanning with a cheap barcode scanner all week on the dvd, cd, etc cased games that have bar codes...

I thought i had maybe 500 games in total... i was wrong:
    https://cloud.collectorz.com/nikusama/games

809 at time of posting, some of that is hardware but not much, less than 50.
    i also haven't really scanned in NES, SNES Atari anything, most of the cartridge systems games.

It might be a good idea to keep track to put things into perspective.

oh that answer to the 2nd question is 30 years... ...30 years of unorganized chaos

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I can really only give some sort of ballpark figure because I don't catalogue my games. I think a box has been lost during a move because I am actually missing a box of games that I know of and since I don't remember all that was in the box I don't exactly know what has been lost.

I also only started collecting once the PS1 was released, I had a lot more SNES and NES games but traded and sold games as most kids did to play other games.

I own more than 300 PS4/PS5 games combined.
    I own more than 120 PS2 games.
    I own more than 100 PS3 games.
    I own around 100 PS1 games.
    I own around 90 PSP games.
    I own around 90 Vita games(sadly this is a platform I kept throwing money at despite nearly all games being ports.)
    I own around 80 3DS games.
    I own more than 100 DS games.
    I own more than 30 Sega Genesis games.
    I own more than 20 GBA/GB/GBC games.
    I own more than 20 NES games.
    I own more than 20 Switch games.
    I own more than 10 GC games.
    I own more than 10 Wii/Wii U games
    I own more than 10 SNES games.
    I own a few N64 games, a few Sega CD games, and two Xbox One games.

So I have more than 1000 games atleast, most are Playstation games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably just under 2000. I do keep a list, but it's not 100% up-to-date. With used games, I usually clean and test them before adding them to the list, and there's some I haven't done that with yet. Then there are a few games I've paid for but have yet to receive. And a while back, I noticed I had some Genesis games that weren't on my list, so I know I've made some mistakes in accounting for everything over the years. I also have some duplicate stuff I plan to sell and thus haven't added to the list. This total doesn't include the games my husband and I have bought digitally, nor the small assortment of physical PC games we have. It's just physical home console and handheld games.

It's been around 30 years of collecting for me too, with the bulk of my collecting happening from the late '90s through the '00s, though I did go pretty hog wild with Vita collecting.

I've actually been keeping a collection list since around '99 or '00. Believe it or not, I used to handwrite the thing. I'd group games by system and write them down in alphabetical order. At the end of the list, I'd write down new acquisitions until I had enough added that I felt it was worthwhile to rewrite the whole list and put everything in their proper spots. This obviously didn't last much beyond me hitting my 100th game, haha. I got a clunky old HTML file I've been updating for a couple decades now. It used to be a web page, but now it's just a file on my PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Let's see... I cut and pasted from a different thread, and adjusted accordingly.

Atari 2600 - 400 to 450
    Atari 5200 - 50
    Atari 7800 - 45
    Atari XEGS - 18
    Atari Lynx - 60
    Atari Jaguar - 45
    Intellivision - 90
    Colecovision - 40
    Vectrex - 7
    Magnavox Odyssey 2 - 25
    Fairchild Channel F - 2
    Astrocade - 12
    Emerson Arcadia 2001 - 6
    Microvision - 1
    Sega SG-1000 - 2
    Nintendo Entertainment System - 60
    Sega Master System - 30
    SNES - 25
    Sega Genesis - 150
    TurboGrafx-16/TurboDuo/PC Engine - 50
    ActionMaxx - 3
    ViewMaster Interactivision - 1
    Supervision - 3
    Sega Game Gear - 20
    GameBoy/GameBoy Color - 4
    Sega CD - 30
    Sega 32X - 12
    3DO - 15
    Pioneer Laseractive (with Sega Pak) - 2
    Philips CD-i - 30
    Memorex VIS - 10
    Playstation - 30
    Sega Saturn - 20
    VirtualBoy - 7
    Nintendo 64 - 6
    Tiger R-Zone - 5
    Game.com - 4
    Sega Dreamcast - 100
    Neo-Geo Pocket Color - 15
    Nuon - 7
    GameBoy Advance - 15
    Playstation 2 - 80
    GameCube - 160
    Xbox - 250
    GameWave - 5
    XaviX GamePort - 4
    Tapwave Zodiac - 4
    Nokia N-Gage QD - 45
    Gizmondo - 6
    Nintendo DS - 5
    Nintendo Wii - 120
    Xbox 360 - 70
    Playstation 3 - 684
    Nintendo Wii-U - 15
    Playstation 4 - 360
    Sony PSP - 5

I honestly can't sit down and record all the games I own, I just don't feel any motivation to do that. It just seems boring. For more modern systems like the PS3 and PS4, I alphabetize my games on shelves, and take photos so I can keep a record on my phone so I can check before I end up getting a double.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Backloggery.com says I have 944 total:
    https://backloggery.com/calthaer

I know I'm missing some. There are a few physical games I've acquired over the past decade or so but just haven't entered (ex: NES games I found cheap, like Excite Bike). More than that are Steam games - sometimes in a Humble Bundle. You get a ton of them and then I just don't enter them all in.

Backloggery helps me keep track of what I have and haven't finished, but for a lot of games my interest peters out around the 10-20 hour mark. Just finished Hollow Knight - not 100%, but there were a bunch of ultra-hard optional bosses that I just said: "Forget it" to, and went in to tackle the "final" end-game boss that was much easier and completed the game.

It's way too many. More and more of my time over the past 5 years has been spent on board games - maybe it's the slower pace, or just being able to be in-person with friends is something I appreciate a lot more now than I did prior to 2020 / 2021. Definitely won't be picking up more physical games for legacy platforms, and even those I do own - I've been eyeing Steam sales for some of these. Capcom has been releasing lots of older Castlevania / Mega Man games, for example - do I just sell off the Mega Man Anniversary Collection that I picked up for GameCube and get some of the ones on Steam? Then again that GCN game goes for like $10, so probably not.

Over time I'll probably slowly pack it away or occasionally bring it out - just been too many other things in life wanting my attention and when I have a chance to slow down a game like Viewtiful Joe with frenetic action doesn't seem like my idea of a good time any more. Guess that sounds old?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HELP! Can someone tell me what happened to the DP's Online Rarity Guide? Is it no longer accessible anywhere? All I seem to be able to get to are Forums.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I hadn't had a reason to check for awhile, so I did tonight for kicks. I had to make a few adjustments over the last few years, but the overall number is about where it had been.
    If I counted correctly, I have:

Atari 2600- 23
    Intellivision- 27
    Arcadia 2001- 6
    NES/Famicom- 532
    Master System- 58
    Turbografx/PC Engine- 86
    Turbo CD/PCE CD- 42
    Genesis/Mega Drive- 140
    Sega CD- 28
    32X- 12
    SNES/Super Famicom- 307
    Neo Geo AES- 35
    CD-i- 14
    3DO- 39
    Jaguar- 25
    Jaguar CD- 6
    PC-FX- 6
    Saturn- 129
    Playstation- 190
    N64- 36
    Dreamcast- 121
    PS2- 174
    Xbox- 29
    Gamecube- 43
    Xbox 360- 52
    PS3- 46
    Wii- 68
    Wii U- 18
    PS4- 143
    Switch- 25
    Game Boy/GBC- 27
    Game Gear- 7
    Virtual Boy- 9
    Neo Geo Pocket Color- 27
    WonderSwan- 6
    GBA- 22
    Nintendo DS- 83
    PSP- 32
    3DS- 22

All told, my calculator says that's 2695 games for consoles and handhelds. I'm not going to count my arcade cabinets and pcbs. They're a pain to get out. I'm pretty content with much of what I have being pretty curated at this point. I have a little bloat when it comes to NES games and SNES sports games, but I like 16-bit sports games quite a bit. I don't like to have stuff for numbers, because I really just want stuff I'll actually play and enjoy.

I'm a player more than a collector for sure, but the really bulky NES number has more to do with the late '90s when I was thinking about completing the NES set while I was working at FuncoLand. I could've come really close, as I recall holding every single game aside from Bandit Kings of Ancient China and Stadium Events. However, I realized that also meant paying money for Fischer Price and Sesame Street games, and that helped me realize that I'm no collector. I just like to play everything. However, I still vestigially have stuff like Videomation, Dudes with Attitude, 10 Yard Fight, etc., and they remind me that I don't care to buy everything.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 12-19-2023 at 11:23 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldoofus View Post
    HELP! Can someone tell me what happened to the DP's Online Rarity Guide? Is it no longer accessible anywhere? All I seem to be able to get to are Forums.
    This has been discussed recently in another thread. Currently it's sort of available in a difficult way but also not really.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...e-Rarity-Guide

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

digitaldoofus (12-20-2023)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks much!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

One of my local FuncoLand/GameStop stores once had a Stadium Events (for $8.99) that I passed up, because I wanted to collect games I think I'd actually play, and I didn't know if I could play it (I didn't know the FFF was just rebranded the Power Pad). Also, I thought that it had to be a joke that people online would play a thousand dollars for a NES sports game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not many but I shared the site a couple places and…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oof...I haven't looked in a while. I did do an inventory of my 2600 games as I was planning on selling them off and that I think was in the 40 range. I have a Harmony cart so I really haven't touched my single carts in a while.

NES is pretty small these days as there too, I have an Everdrive cart. My individual collection is probably 19 cartridges.

The WII I went all digital with a hard drive, so I only really have I think two actual games-Animal Crossing City Folk and then the original Animal Crossing (with my original memory card) for Gamecube.

WII U....I have maybe 20-25 games as I bought a bunch when they were being blown out at Family Video.

Xbox-I think I have about 10 games but there too, it's softmodded so I have a bunch of ISOs on there.

Switch-I seem to have a lot but I've never counted. Probably about 20.

Nintendo DS/3DS-I have a bunch of games that are mine (my original collection) and my kids'. Probably in the range of 25 or so.

Vita-6-7 carts

GBA-uh....10 carts maybe?

Tandy Color Computer: This became an instant collection with maybe a total of 20 cartridges (including my CoCoSDC) between the CoCo 2 bundle I got from someone at Atari Age and then a CoCo 3 I got off eBay with a a cart I already had (Downland) but also Castle of Thorrogad (sp-it's the sequel to Dungeons of Daggorath that's CoCo 3 only).

Macintosh computers (512K and PowerBook 180)-no original disk games for them, just MacWrite/Paint and such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Prob like 6-7

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ive cataloged my stuff since day 1 so Ive never questioned what I have/dont have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 8,529 games but they're all Captain Skyhawk for the NES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not many. Been downloading ROMs since the 90s without much concern for getting genuine copies.