Thread: PS5 and the case of the register-able Disc Drive

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default PS5 and the case of the register-able Disc Drive

So i was all set to get a PS5 after the slim down. i was going to get a disc version because of well, reasons that should be obvious to most any one on this message board how ever i found it strange when leaked pictures of boxes show that internet is required to register the detachable disc drive on the version that comes with it.

Why?

Is it not 2023?

I thought we had figured out that letting people service their own stuff and not keybonding drives and consoles together was a better thing for everyone. Is this not the case any more or is it 2003 again?
    If its 2003 again i need to go warn my self not to do things and buy some bitcoin and other stocks before its too late.
    I was all set to run down and grab one when i saw one but i am now thinking no. This will be a problem when it comes time to repair. not a IF but a WHEN it needs to be repaired. Sure that might be 20 years from now but again most people on here should understand that people keep consoles a looonnngg ass time some times. I still have my childhood systems, and systems older than me.

I think until then i'll just stick with what i got or until they reverse course as this will be a right to repair issue and its wholly un needed in this day and age.

does any one see a reason for this other than to be ass holes wanting more monies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I bought a original,PS5 earlier in year so i'm good.I got no need for the slim model currently still it didn't make sense to me for the price of the new slim digital model to be doubled.When you do a revision for said console the price is suppose to go down and not up shesh !! Beside the fact if want to install a disk drive later on for the slim you need a internet connection to authenticate it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I actually didn't think of this before but what happens if the PS5 goes kaput 20 years from now, how will you register the disc drive then?

My thoughts on it though are that they're doing this so people can't use non PS5 disc drives which could possibly more easily hack the system. Either way the PS5 will be hacked though so the whole thing about, what about my console in 20 years, well, you can still pair them, you just have to hack the system first.

I do agree though that it's not a hassle for other past consoles, why will it have to be one now?

If I was going to buy another PS5 though I'd say wait for the PS5 Pro, it might still have this same issue though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I thought we had figured out that letting people service their own stuff and not keybonding drives and consoles together was a better thing for everyone. Is this not the case any more or is it 2003 again?
    This isn't 2023 for you? Which era happily let people buy physical media that could easily be resold, lent out, traded, or given away without issue? And which era moved focus to digital releases with DRM that aren't transferable in any capacity? In 2003 there weren't single use download codes for add on bonus content either, that started with the next generation post PS2. People have far less rights with their property today compared to the past, from game consoles to modern vehicles.

As for 20 years from now, I doubt most of these modern systems like the PS5 will still be working. Modern consoles from the 360 era onwards are basically considered disposable like old laptops or cell phones from the last 15-20 years. I mostly avoid buying used consoles from these generations at thrift stores as I assume most I come across are defective, I never had that feeling with older cartridge systems, though I did somewhat with the PS1 and PS2 consoles.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

@Gameguy

My favorite console, but PS1 for sure. Have you known anyone to have a PS1 that didn't eventually have disc reading issues? I haven't. Everyone I know who put a lot of use into the PS1(I do know one person whose PS1 didn't because they almost never played it) but otherwise, all the others had disc reading issues within 10 years. My OG PS2 was a purchased within a year of launch had no issues. I later gave it to a friend of mine but even then which was at the end of the PS3 life still had no issues(I had a BC PS3 so I felt I really didn't need it.)

My BC PS3 still working.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-10-2023 at 06:16 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    @Gameguy

My favorite console, but PS1 for sure. Have you known anyone to have a PS1 that didn't eventually have disc reading issues? I haven't. Everyone I know who put a lot of use into the PS1(I do know one person whose PS1 didn't because they almost never played it) but otherwise, all the others had disc reading issues within 10 years. My OG PS2 was a purchased within a year of launch had no issues. I later gave it to a friend of mine but even then which was at the end of the PS3 life still had no issues(I had a BC PS3 so I felt I really didn't need it.)

My BC PS3 still working.
    I've come across PS1s with bad lasers or struggling lasers, but I've never had one develop problems after I've owned it. I guess it mostly comes down to use, the less used consoles are often in much better condition, besides the launch console which is known to have a poor quality laser assembly and will die with any regular use. The later lasers might depend on use of burned discs, or using the swap trick for both burned discs and imports as it prevents the laser from refocusing between discs. Certain games really cause a lot of stress on the lasers as well, I've heard Crash Bandicoot is hard on lasers. Really, every disc drive will eventually fail with enough use from wearing out the laser. At least it's easy to service a PS1 console. I've come across a few PS2s with similar laser issues as well, but I mostly avoided beat up looking ones and I never had one actually die on me. I just assume that modern consoles won't be as easily repairable compared to the PS1 or PS2, more difficult to solder components without specialized equipment and more difficult to replace lasers as with the Xbox 360 the drives are paired to the specific console they come with. Overheating issues will become more common with modern consoles as components age.

A friend of mine bought a backwards compatible PS3, and it died within a month of use. She ended up replacing it with a later slim model instead.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lets be fair. Remember that scene in the crack-house where the violent dealer wanted sex from the druggies daughter? The crack-addict slumped over with her runny make-up, she literally was submitting the idea just to get her high on from a small bag of powder. That is how SONY see's it's consumers.

In fact remember when Dan Harman was going berserk on SONY and the way it views it's writers?
    Remember why we do not have any new "Boondocks". That is how SONY pictures ( etc ) see's it's writers.

Your going to keep letting SONY push you around while they are itching to promote "Pay-DLC". The only real reason to purchase a console nowadays is to.

A. Play games online with your nephew or niece who has one and will not get off one.
    B. It cost in energy consumption then a decent PC setup. Figuring that out.

Looking at all of these generations passed gone, only when a game company is doing terrible ports ( looking at SEGA and "Sonic Adventure" ) the console is really worth anything to invest in. Further-more
    The higest rated GPU card is around $7,000 but even a low-end card could run many games that are new right now at a reasonable rate of maybe even $100 give or take repairs pending.

Why should anybody have to tollerate this? For the children? Right?