Thread: Is the switch crippling you to purchase DLC?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Is the switch crippling you to purchase DLC?

I had this funny chat with brother about him about using the Switch console. He was like

"Remember Gameboy and how simple it was to just pop in a cartridge and and pull it out?
    Well with the Switch now you have to do all these things, turn this out, flick this in, etc just
    to get something in and out".

So he is like

"I just would rather get the DLC version and avoid all of that together".

He makes a valid point. We are being coaxed into the DLC because of the hassle it takes
    to put a Switch game in. Same with the PSP UMD,s if you could remember those systems.
    Whatever happen to just popping in a CD, that is secured by the cover or even some kind of
    motorized locking method? Where is the fun in "doing work" just to play a physical copy.

I could understand the ware and tear that a Switch console could get over time, as it is literally
    just a tablet calling itself a game-console. But thinking about his comment. They are turning
    us off from actually purchasing physical real products.

Then once you get into the DLC it is like "I am paying to play on the official Nintendo-Network"
    and not to purchase the actual game", then we start to think Wii. Okay I see what they did there.
    I am getting an X-box game-pass because I do not want to fiddle with a $$@#$$ slot.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What "hassle"? You pop the damn card in an out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Osirus View Post
    What "hassle"? You pop the damn card in an out.
    You have to lock it in, and is not like a gameboy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gametrek View Post
    You have to lock it in, and is not like a gameboy
    Oh the horror.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm sure some gamers are too lazy for popping games in and out, and that motivates their decision to go digital, but it sounds like a massive first world problem to me. If you've got the free time to spare to play a game, then you can spare literal seconds to swap a card or disc. I can't say I find it any more of a hassle to put a modern physical game into a system than to put a game into a system made prior to the existence of DLC. I mean, look at the toaster NES. You gotta slide the game in, push it down into place, then see if it'll even work properly (and this was a problem even when the system was still on the market), then possibly turn the system off, pop the game up, pull it out, and try all over again ad nauseam. Or with the PS1, people were turning their systems upside-down and all sorts of crazy things trying to get their games working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Or how about the N-Gage where you had to take the back cover off and remove the battery to insert and remove games. Changing games on the Switch is nothing compared to that.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wait, the complaint is you have to push the cart in slightly more than flush so it’ll click in like an sd card? This is an all new level of laziness

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leatherrebel5150 For This Useful Post:

Tron 2.0 (03-19-2024)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    Wait, the complaint is you have to push the cart in slightly more than flush so it’ll click in like an sd card? This is an all new level of laziness
    Okay think about this.

Switch

1. You carefully pull the game card door open forward towards the screen. Hoping not to break a nail ( if you have any )
    2. Then you grab by the sides of the door and some how pull it up and reverse the other direction.
    3. Insert the card in till it snaps
    4. Then reverse Usually just closing the top back, which goes back down in a odd manor

Now if it was like my SD slot on my camera, where.

1. I remove the rubbery cover that dangles by a thread of my $2000 purchase.
    2. I insert the card, if a card is in there then I press down the card to eject
    3. I put back that dangling rubber in it's place.

or

1. I insert into my printer, or computer, and we are good to go.

.................................................. .................................................. ...............

That is like four moves. In comparison to a NES. ( the fact no cleaning or hot air required ) and all parts are working normally without any other steps.

1. You open the door of the NES,
    2. You click up and insert the game firmly.
    3. You close the door of the NES. Pressing power ( however chance is even a blinking NES could load and pull at random while putting another game in ).

For a gameboy ( the way it should be ), but there is no slide safety door.

1. You insert a game and slide the power button that secures the game.

For a SNES ( the way it should be ).

2. You insert a game and push power switch ( locking into place half of the time ).

I guess that extra moves on the switch is literally for "Water protection" or even to prevent a dirty-slot situation from happening since kiddies are spilling and dropping the stuff all the time ?

But honestly that door pull it foward and then back again. How often does it break and is there any real protection or advantage from having a door at all ?

I am talking about out-of-the-box ripping-open-Xmas-gift seven year old. Not some guy who still uses a a CD-rom drive that resembles something out of a PSP UMD situation. Which is why we ask ourselves. Why didn't Nintendo just made the GCN portable and hold an age requirement ( there lack of safety ).
    Oh wait I know? the user does not even need to know how to read any instructional manual, despite it being displayed ever five seconds.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gametrek View Post
    Okay think about this.

Switch

1. You carefully pull the game card door open forward towards the screen. Hoping not to break a nail ( if you have any )
    2. Then you grab by the sides of the door and some how pull it up and reverse the other direction.
    3. Insert the card in till it snaps
    4. Then reverse Usually just closing the top back, which goes back down in a odd manor
    The extent in which you are trying to make this sound difficult and convoluted is quite bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Or how about the N-Gage where you had to take the back cover off and remove the battery to insert and remove games. Changing games on the Switch is nothing compared to that.
    Interesting and pretty weird, thanks for reminding me of that! I should check it out again.

For me, I get how the ease of DLC can seem kinda pushy. But, you don’t have to buy those cards at Wal Mart. Now, if they ever stopped selling carts that would be more the scenario you’re describing.

/endrant