Thread: Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

This game is hard to find on GameCube. It isn't at EB or Gamestop locally. EB offers $30 for the Cube version trade-in, and it has one used copy selling for ... $50!

The EB clerk/gamer has been raving about this game to me, telling me it's pretty good and not many are floating around, so I've been on the lookout. Today I found it new at Target ... $29.99! So I'm passing this on for two reasons.

(1) Doing the math Jaguar-style , you see that you could buy this game at Target (if you find it), play it for a while, then trade it in for the same $$$ amount. I love finding these deals ... no clue on how long it will last, though.

(2) Chances are I'll like this game and not get rid of it, but does anyone else have anything to say about the game, even if you didn't play it on the Cube ? I will try it out tonight, if FzeroGX releases its stranglhold on my Cube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i actually ordered the PAL Version yesterday for 9 EURO incl. Shipping, i'm pretty sure the game isn't rare in europe, i'll hopefully get it during this week....

afaik it is a good game, but the pc version was/is better, graphics are a bit out-of-date, but the atmosphere should be great, i have Dark Forces (Jedi Outcast is in fact Dark Forces 3) and this is one of the best fps ever made
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it for about 15 minutes last night, but I was very tired and not in the mood.

Who is this Kyle Katarna guy anyway? I don't know Star Wars beyond the films.

It starts off very FPS-like. You shoot stormtroopers and imperials at some planetary base, try to open the door to get in. It was very dull, this first level. I'll try again tonight.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been searching for the GC version at a good price but the only place that has it is EB and they charge pretty much the same for a used copy as they do for a new copy (about $70 CDN). Maybe someone will trade it to me someday.

PG

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman
    I played it for about 15 minutes last night, but I was very tired and not in the mood.

It starts off very FPS-like. You shoot stormtroopers and imperials at some planetary base, try to open the door to get in. It was very dull, this first level. I'll try again tonight.
    Keep playing !!!!!!!!!! It doesn't get good until the 4th level and later. Trust me you'll like it if you keep playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman

Kyle Katarn appeared in the PC Star Wars FPS Star Wars: Dark Forces (whose storyline falls around and after A New Hope). He was a mercenary who was hired by Mon Mothma to get his hands on the Death Star plans (that's how the game starts) and is then hired to investigate this new form of stormtrooper called "Dark Troopers". Very solid game and a good story to boot.

He again appears in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight where Kyle finds out that his father was a Jedi and that he too has the power of the force. You then follow Kyle on a quest to find a place called the Valley of the Jedi where it is said the source of the Force lies before a Dark Lord finds it first. This game is kinda like KOTOR as you can chose which side of the Force you will turn to. There was also an expansion disc called Mysteries of the Sith where I think you control the character Mara Jade (though I could be wrong as I never played it).

This all cuminates in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast where apparantly Kyle renounced the Force and became a mercenary type again (I never finished Dark Forces II, so I'm not sure how it ends).

All of the games are good (though Dark Forces II is kinda complex as all Force powers are assigned to Function keys and is no where near as easy to pull off as in JK2) and yes, definitely play through as it gets better. Once you get Force powers it all comes together. There is no greater high in this game than having enough power to push a group of storm troopers against a wall and then pull them towards you to smack against the other wall.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    definitely play through as it gets better. Once you get Force powers it all comes together. There is no greater high in this game than having enough power to push a group of storm troopers against a wall and then pull them towards you to smack against the other wall.
    I totally agree.....Keep playing! once you get the light sabre (so you can change between 1st and 3rd person)
    and force powers, it becomes a good game!
    BILL & TED: "Okay, wait. If you guys are really us, what number are we thinking of?"
    FUTURE BILL & TED: "69, dudes!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the background info. I will keep playing, the guy who raved about this game basically said the same thing, that once you get force powers the game really takes off.

The visuals looked very good to me, maybe a bit too dark, and I didn't find any gamma options. I killed the girl Kyle is working with, it's cool you can do that (though you don't want to, of course). I also zoomed in on her butt.

yep, entertaining game. I'll play more tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is it really that hard to get the us version? i can get the pal-version <$20 (my 9? was a short time offer, it's not that cheap anymore) if anyone needs it, don't know what shipping to us would cost, but not to much....
    -Jan