Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what the "F" is up with the PS2 online adaptor????

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to be one of the system-war type of guys, but I would say Sony wins over Microsoft since,

a) They have 2 AAA online titles in Madden and SOCOM

and
    b) Microsoft has 0 titles, let alone system-selling ones, since they have no online service period.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Madden, Socom, Everquest, Tony Hawk 4, and Maybe Final Fantasy.

All are going to be HUGE sellers wether you're online or not. So in that respect, sony DEFINITELY has the advantage.

(Some of these games are available on the x-box, but who wants to play THPS on xbox controllers?) (Everquest might be a multiplayer only game, not sure?)

I imagine Sony is going to "surprise" us with an online Gran Turismo soon, Maybe a better Twisted Metal online as well?

Sony also has rights to Grand Theft Auto for a few years, imagine THAT online?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone here played online with a PS2 yet? I'd like to know what there impressions are. I've had XBox live beta now for a few days and I have to say that I underestimated the power of voice in online gaming. I wouldn't slag any service before trying it so it's quite possible PS2 service is great. BTW are they selling both network and 56K adapters for the PS2? I really have to wonder what the use of a 56K adapter is at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Online gaming is the realm of the Computer.. always will be.. The Xbox will be fine as it's just a PC.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SylentWulf
    Flash forward. I haven't seen ONE SINGLE PIECE of media stating that the PS2 went online, no store displays, no commercials, BARELY even mentioned in any gaming magazines OR online.
    Are you serious? Have you seen this month's EGM? The COVER is about the PS2 going online, and that's like all OUSPSM has been talking about for the past several months.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used the adapter, but only to play frequency and I really didn't care for that game much. Seemed VERY buggy while I was trying to start a game. Played PERFECT, IF you could get the game going, always froze up while loading for me....

Haven't gotten socom, no other games interest me yet. Need to grab myself an extra USB Keyboard too.

Re: EGM - I know, there was that. But I don't know how many people read EGM either. EGM is the only Videogame magazine I like personally. Not that I dislike any others, but this is the only one I subscribe to.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentWulf
    Flash forward. I haven't seen ONE SINGLE PIECE of media stating that the PS2 went online, no store displays, no commercials, BARELY even mentioned in any gaming magazines OR online.
    Are you serious? Have you seen this month's EGM? The COVER is about the PS2 going online, and that's like all OUSPSM has been talking about for the past several months.
    I remember a N64 Disk drive being on the cover of several mags..

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to be one of the system-war type of guys, but I would say Sony wins over Microsoft since,

a) They have 2 AAA online titles in Madden and SOCOM

and
    b) Microsoft has 0 titles, let alone system-selling ones, since they have no online service period.
    It's really unfair to compare the PS2 online game lineup to the Xbox's right now, since Xbox Live won't officially launch until November.

It's just beta right now, so at least wait until then before declaring a winner.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no winner here, all the console producers are just trying to cash in on the online gaming frenzy that was Everquest.. X-Box is the worst, making you pay a basic service is just lame. Microsoft is just looking for a quick and easy buck, otherwise Asteron's Call would have been a online launch title.. little work (p2p game server) + charge service=Xbox online..

the PS2 online will be ok, at least all you need to buy is a online adapter, buying pay to play games is optional.

There was a letter to the Editor in this months GI where the guy says he would rather pay $100+ for a game then pay a monthly fee is right on.. I played EQ for 3 years so I had to pay $360.00 just to play.. Now look at all the gotta pay console games.. play 4 on them and you'll need to shell out $500 a year easy. People don't realize that each of these online RPG's are going to cost you $10-12 a month, and if you don't pay then all your characters get deleted.. bye bye hard work..

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by congobongo
    Has anyone here played online with a PS2 yet? I'd like to know what there impressions are. I've had XBox live beta now for a few days and I have to say that I underestimated the power of voice in online gaming. I wouldn't slag any service before trying it so it's quite possible PS2 service is great. BTW are they selling both network and 56K adapters for the PS2? I really have to wonder what the use of a 56K adapter is at this point.
    So far my experience with playing the PS2 online has been mixed - sometimes it's reliable, sometimes it's not. I think it'll always be that way unfortunately due to the set up. Voice does make a huge difference as well...I've been talking just because I can. :lol:

The network adapter has a 56k and broadband connection. It's everything in one.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The only game I'd wan to play on line is Twinkle Star Sprites, and there's LESS than a snowball's chance in hell of that ever happening! :lol:

Seriously though, I just hope all these companies don't forget that there's a lot of us (how many? I don't know.) who have little to no interest in getting on-line and playing games. I thought the Dreamcast hit a nice balance where there were lots of on-line games, but you didn't need to be on-line to enjoy most of them. I kind of think FF11 is going to be a huge mistake if it's online only, and broadband at that. But we shall see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can someone clarify for me.. Are any/all the systems going to be compatible for both dialup AND broadband connections? Reading through the above, I've gotten rather confused. I've heard some rumors...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default and it goes like this...

SOME ps2 online games to date work on both dial-up & broadband, BUT you lose speed and features with dialup. some are broadband only. the network adapter is bb. if you have an dialup isp and connect through sony's service with that, expect a busy signal most of the time on the more popular titles. xbox is bb ONLY, no dialup, nintendo is coming out with both a dialup and broadband adapter (2 different units). hope that helps...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So.. Xbox is broadband access ONLY, while both the GC & PS2 will allow dialup or broadband. Interesting. I wonder how this will affect things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

most hard core gamers have broadband already.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default yah yah...

THAT'S just what sony & microsoft wanna hear, lol. but you're sorta missing the point: the people who want bb access and CAN'T get it for whatever reason are s.o.l. until there's a solution (other than dragging a console to the nearest backwoods/mountain LAN party, lol). those are the ones left out of that "most" in your post...

and, some folks could care less, from what i've been hearing lately- they just want good games that they don't have to pay to play once they get home... :wink:

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tritoch
    So far my experience with playing the PS2 online has been mixed - sometimes it's reliable, sometimes it's not.
    I guess this is what you pay for with Live. Reliability. Online gaming for me is a bonus. A lot of my friends are scattered across the globe and to be able to hook up with them again and play like old times is a real bonus.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another huge problem the companys have are thing not comming out that they got the system for look at the n64 never came out with the 64DD in the US and did not have the adapter to make game boy games play on it like a super gameboy for n64, sega waiting too long comming out with the BB for DC, sony and microsoft saying that the systems were internet ready and tons of peeps got halo just because of online play and had a hard ass time getting it to work. Nintendo is doing it again with gamecube that said it would have all this cool shit to work with GBA and there is not much out to do that if any. Why spend the few 100 u need to have a chance of getting online like claimed and not comming out with FFXI in the US will just push away fans.