Thread: I've finally decided to start a collection....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default I've finally decided to start a collection....

I've managed to ward off the desire to collect a platform's entire library until a day or so ago, when I decided that I'm going to start collecting for the NGPC! Makes perfect sense to me, as the library is rather small (in comparison with many other readily-available systems), the prices have bottomed out (thanks in no small part to the packaged re-release at EB/Gamestop, and the system has a great hit-to-shit ratio. How did you guys start? And do you collect all things pertaining to that system or mainly just system/games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NGPC prices haven't bottomed out at all. ONLY the cart only prices have. Complete NGPC games still go for excellent money!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I bought one and a bundle of games a couple of months before SNK pulled the machine off the shelves. I picked up a few just afterwards, and the rest from eBay and other collectors. I now have all 39 UK releases in 100% complete condition, though it wasn't easy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Well, they haven't bottomed out, but it seems to be a lot easier to find them now . Plus the NGPC is home to one of my top 10 games of all time: Cardfighter's Clash!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Careful, it always starts with one system.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Yeah, I now realize that. I'm considering starting to collect for the DC as well, but I haven't even got a good start on the NGPC yet! AAAAGGHHHHH!!!!

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Yeah, I now realize that. I'm considering starting to collect for the DC as well, but I haven't even got a good start on the NGPC yet! AAAAGGHHHHH!!!!
    Heh. I thought it'd be easy to put together a nice set of Master System games because the library's so small -- then I really started looking.

I also thought it might be nice to get some more Genesis games -- then I thought, "why don't I just get a Sega CD too? There's not many of those games, actually..."

Now my brother's given me back the old NES, and there's a few games I miss from those days too. So...

...no, it doesn't ever really end once you've started.

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you need one, I have an NGPC to DC link cable new in the box!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too figured out that collecting Master system games is actually kind of hard. Especially Buster Douglas and Slap shot. I will almost have a complete collection by the end of 2003 though.

Then im going to go for Sega CD.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The NGPC is also a 'gateway' system to the real Neo, as much as I love the NGPC, it's made me want a home MVS setup very very badly now, which is the project I'm currently saving up for.

-AG

p.s. 18 hours into CFC on SNK side, just got a second Geese and Akuma, and haven't lost in 56 straight matches!
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent topic, when I collect games for a system, I put full effort (time, money, resources) and if I'm to seriously collect, I want complete collection, I'm currently in the middle of Dreamcast frenzy as I'm aiming for complete collection, all in new/sealed condition, I'm down to 4 rare games now and the prices have almost bottomed out. What makes me want to collect games for a system, I make the following criteria:

1. At least 2/3 of the games have to be decent or better.

2. Variety of genre with total games between 100 to 300, under 100 doesn't interest me.

3. Not overly mass-market (if DC kicks butt in US I probably won't collect as most games will be franchise-related and lots of junk games to compliment, just look at PSX and PS2)

4. Lots of 2D, or even 3D animated games, especially those made by Capcom.

5. I happen to be at time when the game prices bottomed out.

DC meets all of the above, I don't think I even like Saturn as much as DC, certain games are FMV (something I absolutely loath) and they take up too much space, but they're still many games I like, I still have about 25 just to play.

The other 2 systems I seriously collect are Neo-Geo and LaserActive, a word of caution, if you don't want to spend too much money, stay away from Neo-Geo like plague. Back in 1994 when I got the first Neo-Geo system, I only wanted a few good games like Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special, thinking I'd be satisfied, wrong, the system and gaming is a major money pit and I just kept wanting more and more games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like I've joined the fold of collectors instead of standing back comfortably from the position of player only . And I can totally agree with what AdamG said, just enjoying the NGPC has gotten me to realize how much I'd love to play Metal Slug with bigger and more fluid sprites! And that can only mean one thing outside the realm of emulation.....my poor goddamn wallet!

And Adam....that 18 hours ain't shit bro! I put 60+ hours into CFC, and was STILL missing quite a few cards! Not to insult your game of course, but I was addicted HARDCORE!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was in mcvan's video games the other day. an indiana based game store and i saw a NGPC sitting behind a gameboy box in the gameboy case.......and i'm not real big on ngpc's yes so i asked him if that's what it was and he confirmed that it was but it wasn't for sale. so i said ok......and they have about 3 stores in ft. wayne indiana and he said if i wanted one i could go to the maplecrest(rd.) store and buy one for about $50-$60.......i just kind of chuckled and bought what i had picked out already. he said it's more of a collector's item now........thats a full load of BS, i'm not an expert but i think that's a ripoff.......a totally loose clear NGPC for $50-$60.......can i get any confirmation of that. and to toss into this topic, it appears to be a great system to collect for......heard nothing but good stuff, and it does seem reasonably bottomed out on the loose end. but those complete ones.......wow......not for me. one day i may own one tho.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Yes, McVans guy was full of dogshit. EB and Gamestop have these on their website in a package deal with 6 games for $79.99 and $69.99 respectively. I have 3 complete and 3 loose (but all with manual) so far so I'm diving in with a rather shitty start but hopefully this will all work out . Loose NGPC's on Ebay can be had for around $20 and boxed ones are BIN on there all the time for $30-40 by themselves, so take any further comments/advice from that guy with a bucket full of salt.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well this is the guy that either has serious eye problems or needs to stop smoking so much grass cuz i can use his eyes as mirrors........and they always have weird pricing in there..........

PGA golf tour II(something like that) for genesis $26

PGA european tour for genesis $24

but i managed to get a gamecube platinum controller and a gameboy player for $53+tax.......some ok prices but most are laughable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    And Adam....that 18 hours ain't shit bro! I put 60+ hours into CFC, and was STILL missing quite a few cards! Not to insult your game of course, but I was addicted HARDCORE!
    Oh no, I'm on the hardest 60 cards to get, that's why I'm going to be cheap (game wise) and get a second NGPC and link cable so that I can get most of the other 60 when I play through the capcom version, and keep trading to get the last two. Heh.

-AG
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    .a totally loose clear NGPC for $50-$60
    Too high, but still a tad bit harder to find than the normal colors for the NGPC. $50 loose? Yes, a rip off.

-AG
    -AB+

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Damn, 60+ hours? I'm still on like hour 13, I haven't been able to find the time to get working on it. I don't even have 150 different card yet, I don't think.

I got ripped off when I bought my NGPC, I paid about $60 complete for it, and I don't even remember getting any games with it. But hey, I've gotten my money's worth from it, so there's no issue. I just wish I knew where to shop for great stuff like this.

Oh, and BTW, I've slacked off on my game of Cardfighter's Clash, most every time I've played my NGPC recently has been to play Biomotor Unitron, Pac-Man, or Metal Slug. Now I NEED some REAL arcade NeoGeo stuff, dammit! Torture!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

see, I have both card fighters, bust a move, and sonic. I NEED a fighter badly, and also Metal Slug. But damn me for saving up for a MVS setup as I won't spend money till I get it.

-AG
    -AB+