Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Favorite Video Game Magazine of All Time?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats Your Favorite Video Game Magazine of All Time?

I love T&T, but i always go back to my Game Player's.
    So whats yours?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. EGM (love everything about it, cept for the new review article design)
    2. Nintendo Power
    3. Play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.The original Electronic Games

2. The first few years of Next Generation
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

1. T &T
    2. T&T
    3. T&T

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gah, no offense, but I feel that T&T kind of sucks.

Then again, I am not a cheater at my videogames, but the little retro sections at the end are pretty nice I guess.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best:
    Next-Generation, the first few years.
    Edge(like Next-Generation: The Early Years but alive and well today)
    Games TM
    Gamefan
    Gamer's Republic

Worst:
    Nintendo Power
    Official Anything
    GamePro (unless you are 14)
    EGM (unless you are 17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like lots of video game magazines but if I had to choose...

1. Most definitely the original and best.. JOYSTIK!!!

2. Tie between Video Games & Electronic Games magazines
    3. Late 80's EGM

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Electronic Games Magazine followed closely by the excellent Classic Gamer Magazine. Sigh. I miss that pub.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I miss the original Electronic Games, because of the most excellent writing, tons of pictures of stuff to drool over, and because I could sign my name with that little all-in-one-character "EG" symbol. (Hey, I used to do that too!)

Behind that, I'll say Electronic Fun With Computers And Games. They were no EG, but that mag was a good read.

And I'll second Snider's mention of Classic Gamer Magazine. Any mag that had his name, my name and Bill Kunkel's name all under "staff writers" on that second or third page couldn't be all bad, y'know. Check out some of the free articles at http://www.classicgamer.com.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Games TM, too bad it is only available over seas otherwise I'd have a subscription!! They have an incredible Retro section, and very colorful pages with intermittent (sp?) full 2 page spreads of sceenshots for older stuff! word!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to let nostalgia run rampant here and say that the original Gamefan, 1993 to 1997, is my favorite gaming magazine. It was often crudely written and haphazardly assembled, but its enthusiastic approach, extensive coverage of imports, and obsessive focus on detail really awakened the gamer within me. If it hadn't been for Gamefan, I might not even

Other favorites: Gamers' Republic, Electronic Games, Next Generation, and Nintendo Power (nostalgia rears it head again)

As much as I liked Next Generation, I'd say that it (and, by extension, Edge magazine) is slightly overrated. The mag's articles and features were generally superb, but its reviews, though well-written, often fell prey to nonsensical elitism. In the magazine's first year, the editors were infected by the "3-D is TEH FUCHAR" fervor that was going around the industry, and they severely underrated many 2-D games, including Guardian Heroes, Pulstar, and Night Warriors.

My least-loved gaming magazine is also Gamefan, but in the form that it took around 1998, after most of its staffer left to form Gamers' Republic. What remained of Gamefan became a shambling mockery of its roots, more intent on venting inane criticisms and claiming "hardcore" status than providing relevant content. The abomination took nearly three years to die.

I also hated Flux, though I have a hard time remembering why.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1. Zero
    2. Super Play

These two will never be surpassed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, this question is an absolute no brainer. Die Hard Game Fan (The Dave Halverson years) is without question, the best video game magazine of all time.

Ok, so that is my own biased personal opinion, but still.... I'm amazed that anybody that has read the early years of GameFan cover to cover, could possibly put any other magazine above it.

Here is my list

1. Die Hard Game Fan (the early years)
    2. Next-Generation (the early years)
    3. GAMES tm (the only negative, is that they are new and weren't around in the glory years)
    4. Game Players (when they had decent paper)
    5. EGM (more by default than anything. Their issues were so huge, although they wasted lots of pages with nothing more than rewriting what is on the back of the game boxes for their preview section. Their previews were basically worthless, other than the pictures)
    6. Video Games and Computer Entertainment - (I wasn't a PC gamer at the time, and I hated that pages of the mag got spent on PC gaming, but still solid)
    7. XBOX Nation - One of the best current mags, even though it's platform specific.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oh sweet bliss! The boards are back and I'm gonna get in trooouubbbllle....

Anyway, I'd have to say VG&CE is by far my most favorite. Thick magazine in its heyday, good content on both consoles AND computers-this mag got me to desire a 256 color VGA card in a very personal way. I was so pissed when my mags got water damage and I had to toss them. If anyone knows a good source of these magazines (other than Ebay, which is a rarity to find them) PM me.

Second: Game Players. Another staple which covered stuff VG&CE would sometimes miss. They also had decent strategy guides and buyers guides that I'd use for a "played it, need it, have it" check list.

Third: Classicgamer. Not to schmooze or anything with some of its writers that reside here, but for a pretty much a hobby mag it was damn good. It had a foot in both the past and present and was a great read. In fact, those mags were the ONLY ones I took to Texas with me when I had to do some tech work for the home office about 3 years ago.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Gamefan, though it's true the reviewers were weird, "I finished Tomb Raider in one weekend" !?! and always trying to prove how much more hardcore they were than you. It was cool that it had lots of glossy pics and they covered stuff you would never see anywhere else(late release Jaguar games, NUON, Metal Slug series). Later when they started focusing on anime and import dating sims/girly RPG's it became very gay.

Joystik was cool but I NEVER saw it on a newstand, only a couple old issues at my library.

Intelligent Gamer was pretty good IIRC. They were the first magazine to ever regulary do any kind of coverage on classic systems. I could only find it at Waldenbooks though.
    dud
    adj : failing to detonate; especially not charged with an active explosive; "he stepped on a dud mine" n 1: (informal) someone who is unsuccessful [syn: flop, washout] 3: an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual [syn: turkey, bomb]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Maniac
    2. Power Play
    3. Mega Fun

all german
    -Jan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    As much as I liked Next Generation, I'd say that it (and, by extension, Edge magazine) is slightly overrated. The mag's articles and features were generally superb, but its reviews, though well-written, often fell prey to nonsensical elitism. In the magazine's first year, the editors were infected by the "3-D is TEH FUCHAR" fervor that was going around the industry, and they severely underrated many 2-D games, including Guardian Heroes, Pulstar, and Night Warriors.
    EDGE scores:
    Guardian Heroes 8/10
    Nightwarriors 8/10
    Pulstar 8/10

Don't know about Next Generation as most of my old issues were sold off years ago, but as far as Edge goes....The scores speak for themselves. 8/10 is hardly underrating. Though Edge is a bit elitist, their scores are almost always dead-on. Afterall only four 10/10 scores in ten years. Respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#1. DieHard GameFan. I really think I got the most enjoyment out of GF's many years of (usually) great issues.

#2. Joystik from the 80's. How else could I have beaten Dragon's Lair, reached stage 3 in Sinistar, or plow through Pterries in Joust?

#3. Electronic Games from the 80's. Great mag, usually filled to the brim with tons of stuff -- 2600,Intellivision, computer games, you name it.

After those top three there's quite a gap but the next choices would be Game players and Next Generation (the early years of it). I really do not like GamePro. T&T (other than Santulli's cool little section which is all I read there), EGM, GI, or Electronic Boutique's new mag I get in the mail.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to love this mag. Funny, edgy, and had great articles about computer gaming.

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Sensei
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    EDGE scores:
    Guardian Heroes 8/10
    Nightwarriors 8/10
    Pulstar 8/10
    Next Generation scores:

Guardian Heroes: 3 out of 5 stars
    Night Warriors: 3 out of 5 stars
    Pulstar: 2 out of 5 stars (and sneeringly likened to Defender)

I was under the impression that Next Generation drew most of its material from Edge. It seems I was mistaken.

Don't know about Next Generation as most of my old issues were sold off years ago, but as far as Edge goes....The scores speak for themselves. 8/10 is hardly underrating. Though Edge is a bit elitist, their scores are almost always dead-on. Afterall only four 10/10 scores in ten years. Respect.
    Perhaps I will once I get my hands on the latest issues of Edge, but I fail to see how limiting one's highest ratings automatically demands respect. EGM never awarded 10s until 1998, and such a restriction didn't exactly make the magazine's reviews the best in print.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.