Thread: Could there ever be a device that would play every game?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could there ever be a device that would play every game?

Imagine that some Hong Kong company creates a device that could play NES carts, Turbo Hu cards, Genesis carts, Super Nes Carts, Turbo CD's, Sega CD's, Saturn discs, PSX discs, Nintendo 64 carts, 32X carts, Dreamcast discs, etc, etc.

Could you freaking imagine? Plus the controller input would have adapters for every controller for these individual systems. So you basically would be able to play every system, NES to Dreamcast, with the actual controller, and use the actual real games, the real CD's and the real carts or Hu cards, and it was all housed in one system.

Plus it had a special video adapter in it, that was capble of taking each systems true video signals, and it would boost these signals, like a XRGB2 and have them output a progressive scan video signal that you could use on HDTV's, so that the video would be the best possible video signal that each of these systems could possible produce. Of course it would also output S-Video and composite if you needed it.

I mean could you freaking imagine? It would have to have 4 different cartridge slots on it. One for NES, one for Nintendo 64, one for the Super Nintendo, one for Genesis and 32X. It would also have the one slot for Hu cards. As far as the CD drives, I'm not sure if it would be possible for there to only be one CD drive that coud read all this media. They might actually need two CD drives.

Now, of course, because this is a Hong Kong device, no Atari Jaguar or 3DO support. Although if it supported those systems too, it would be super sweet. It would also be sweet if it played Neo Geo discs too.

How much would you pay for this device? Just think of all the freaking space it would save?

Yeah, yeah, I know. There is already such a device. It's a freaking PC. You could get a video card with a TV output, and emulate almost all these systems and play the game on a freaking TV, and it would almost be the same thing.

But that's just it..... Almost.... Not totally. You wouldn't be using the actual carts and the actual controllers. Plus it's very unattractive to have your PC tower right next to your TV. My wife just ain't gonna go for that.

I mean sure, this device that I'm talking about, would also be the size of two freaking XBOX systems, side by side attatched to each other. But that is still alot easier to hide than a PC tower. Plus a PC can't emulate all these systems with perfection yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This gives me an idea.
    I think I'll take all my extra systems , take them out of the cases, and put them in 1 big case.
    Put 1 power cord going in , with a power strip.
    Put a switchbox on top for the rca and rf outs.
    Extend all the controller ports to the front of the unit.
    Only cart slots or cd rom doors on top.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    This gives me an idea.
    I think I'll take all my extra systems , take them out of the cases, and put them in 1 big case.
    Put 1 power cord going in , with a power strip.
    Put a switchbox on top for the rca and rf outs.
    Extend all the controller ports to the front of the unit.
    Only cart slots or cd rom doors on top.

Kinda like this: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...381862,00.html

I thought of doing something like that. I started taking apart some old systems, but then I wrecked my NES somehow so I stopped... I tried to make it smaller...

Wouldn't a computer play every type of game through emulation. Then you can get adaptors, or make your own adaptors...
    ~Rich

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In fact, such a device has already shipped, and is now on its way to stores everywhere. But I think it's a bit bigger than two Xboxes.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

There was a game copier that used adapters to play/copy like 10 different systems at one time...that was virtually every system back then, lol

http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/backup/

It's in there somewhere...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, they KINDA tried this but it didn't go over too well:
    Pioneer Laseractive

I remember reading about this when I still worked at Sears. I practically jumped for joy until I saw the outragous price tag. It played Sega CD, Mega LDROMS, Genesis carts, TG-16 Hu-Cards and CDs, Super CDs and Super LDROM2's. I couldn't find what the main unit retailed for but the system packs were about $600 each. Due to price (and probably consumer confusion) it didn't sell too well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

It's called a PC with emulators...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I never actually saw one but half of the kids that came into the game store i worked at had one.

Their dad built it for them but they couldnt show it to me because they werent allowed

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Well, they KINDA tried this but it didn't go over too well:
    Pioneer Laseractive

I remember reading about this when I still worked at Sears. I practically jumped for joy until I saw the outragous price tag. It played Sega CD, Mega LDROMS, Genesis carts, TG-16 Hu-Cards and CDs, Super CDs and Super LDROM2's. I couldn't find what the main unit retailed for but the system packs were about $600 each. Due to price (and probably consumer confusion) it didn't sell too well.
    Yep... can be had cheaply now, though. In fact, a lot of members (myself included) have them.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.