Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What all can you do with a modded XBOX? (special apps)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What all can you do with a modded XBOX? (special apps)

Now, I'm not talking about backing up games, or storing them on a huge hard drive or anything. I'm talking about all the other stuff. I heard that there are tons of cool things you can do on a modded XBOX.

Like this type of stuff:

1. I've heard that you can emulate almost all the systems that PC's can emulate. So you basically could be playing NES roms and Genny roms and stuff on your TV all, from an XBOX.

2. I've heard that you can get AOL instant messenger running on a XBOX.

3. I've heard that you can have all your Music and MP3's stored on it.

4. I've heard you can even get it to play Windows Media clips and stuff like that.

Basically, I've heard that there are alot of neat tricks that you can do with a modded XBOX, and I was wondering if anybody who really knows this subject could give all of us the lowdown on it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I guess there isn't anybody here that knows all the tricks that you can do with a modded XBOX?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    So I guess there isn't anybody here that knows all the tricks that you can do with a modded XBOX?
    You can use it as a paper weight ?

I know, I know, not very helpful.

Seriously though check out www.xbox-scene.com and check out some of their links.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Now last weekend i saw some cool shit in regards to emulation on the X-box, with simpsons menus and all, makes me want to get one, but I'm not allowed to buy one.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can do all the things you've mentioned. It can also do MAME really well. I've seen pics posted by NE146, who lives in my area. In fact NE146, where did you get your mod stuff? was it locally? if so, where?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HA HA not allowed. CHUNKY =

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    HA HA not allowed. CHUNKY =
    Iwas told, no sex if there is and x-box in the house. err so um i bought a kite, it's just as fun right?
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, now that is one rabid Anti M$ fan there. Does your wife use linux?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[Eh, nevermind. I better not assume anything]
    ProtoPages.net
    It's about the prototypes, baby!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe most games that have an emulator out there for them, can be downloaded to the HD of the XBox. You would need to buy a bigger HD than what it comes with though.
    The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better', so I bought a Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my XBox a year ago (I think??) and that was only for Steel Batallion. I have yet to mess with any of the menus or the like. Hell, I have yet to turn it on after 6 months.

This emulation thing intrigues me to no end. Can you install the emulators, and read the ROMs off of a CD?

Are there any good solderless chips out there that I can deactivate in case I want to use Live (I hear your XBox gets banned if they detect a chip)

How hard are these to install?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    This emulation thing intrigues me to no end. Can you install the emulators, and read the ROMs off of a CD?
    Yes. You can also play MP3's, movies(region free and no macro encoding and no remote kit needed). Movies can also be ripped right to the HD if you want. MPEG videos. Internet radio is available on it as well. AOL instant messenger is news to me. As of now, that hasn't happened. Pretty much all EMUs have been ported. So as of today, anything from Atari 2600, to the PS1 can be played. In some cases like the TG 16 and Sega CD, original CD games can be put in the drive and played. I would recommend a larger HD installed for many reasons. less wear on the DVD drive, no need to get up to change games or power down the system and any size drive will work now. You can FTP into the system and do any updates or changes at will.

Are there any good solderless chips out there that I can deactivate in case I want to use Live (I hear your XBox gets banned if they detect a chip)
    The chip can be shut off, so go with a good solder chip, one suggestion would be the Xecuter 2.2 lite. Solderless chips are OK, but in some cases are longer to install. Banning from Live WILL NOT happen if the chip is disabled no matter what you have heard. Also, there are many non subscription online services that are fine. XBLink enables voice chat and no need to be on the PC to set a game up - all can be done fron the XB

How hard are these to install?
    There's alot more involved than just the soldering. I know someone that can do it if you're ever interested.
    The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better', so I bought a Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you network your PC and run the files from that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you network your PC and run the files from that?
    Yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.modchipman.com is a good place for a chip, or you can send him the xbox and have them mod it for you (for 50 bucks I think). Great service there.

As far as other info.. I always defer to the tutorials and forums at www.xbox-scene.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

finally!!.....i just contacted somebody today and for $50 they're going to.........

solder in the chip(xecutor pro) - $60
    install new HD - whatever HD costs(seagate 120GB)
    set up the HD for regular use
    set up all the emulators so i can put my systems at rest and reduce my clutter

and i think that's a better than good deal. he even said i could drop it off friday and he would do it over the weekend.

i went with the pro chip because you can link it to your computer and update the bios faster(something along those lines) which allows you to toy with the settings much easier. if i were to go with the lite chip then i would never get around to updating things......cuz man.....i don't like taking things apart. if i were to do it myself......then i wouldn't have a problem with the lite chip because by the time i got it running i would know the thing inside and out.....but seeing as i won't. i'm going to stick with an external connection. good luck with yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What all can you do with a modded XBOX? (special apps)

1. I've heard that you can emulate almost all the systems that PC's can emulate. So you basically could be playing NES roms and Genny roms and stuff on your TV all, from an XBOX.

2. I've heard that you can get AOL instant messenger running on a XBOX.

3. I've heard that you can have all your Music and MP3's stored on it.

4. I've heard you can even get it to play Windows Media clips and stuff like that.

I've never understood why people pay money and risk damaging their game consoles to basically do things on them that you can do a lot easier, cheaper and better on a standard PC.

I bet that you can write and print out your shopping list on your Xbox as well but again, why bother?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can easily answer that question for you. i have nester on my computer and while it plays just about anything i want it to.......i hate it. the controls suck. and i don't want to take the time to hook up a gamepad. and while i'm not willing to take the time to do that.....and on top of the discomfort of the controls.....the keys are soooo noisy. i'm an up all night kind of person.....and keys wake people up. it's one thing to type a few paragraphs. but to sit there and press a key every couple seconds and in some games mash the keys, and it goes on as long as you're playing the game........i can't hack it. the noise almost bothers me.......i hate gaming on pc's period. the only game i ever liked was UT ver400 with a LAN full of players. that's it.......and i really don't think there is much risk in damaging the console.....you have just the same risk not doing anything to it.........IMO

EDIT: unless you are a total idiot and shouldn't have your hands inside it anyways.....then you run a bigger risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do emulation on my computer and on my Dreamcast.
    And I must say that it is more fun on the Dreamcast with a 35 inch T.V and on the couch, than on a 16 inch lcd in a straight back chair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What all can you do with a modded XBOX? (special apps)

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I've never understood why people pay money and risk damaging their game consoles to basically do things on them that you can do a lot easier, cheaper and better on a standard PC.

I bet that you can write and print out your shopping list on your Xbox as well but again, why bother?
    Easy.. First of all, just know that anyone with emulators running on their Xbox most definitely has the exact same thing (and more) on their pc. So PC emulation aint no big secret.. but then why bother? I'll tell you why, exactly what nesuser2 said.. there's a big difference sitting at a desk playing on a computer monitor using a MS Sidewinder pad.. vs. sitting on a couch at ANY tv of your choice with a console and a nice pad in hand. Of course you can get allmost the same thing with a pc w/ tv out, but then in that case the portability is a pretty big factor for me.. My xbox constantly alternates between my living room and bedroom tv's.. as well as my work sometimes *cough*. :P Or of course you can also make a "white box" pc with a tv-out that you can move from room to room... but hey, it's whatever floats your boat. Emulation is no big secret. We all can do it one way or the other. To me, console emulation (starting on the Dreamcast) and now on the xbox is one nifty little thingamagic to toy with in addition to emulation on pcs. IT'S ALL GOOD