Thread: Guilty Gear series

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Guilty Gear series

Any other fans of this fighting game series here?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guilty Gear X is THE greatest fighting game of all time. Guilty Gear X2 is basically the same game, slightly updated graphics, few new characters. I think that Soul Calibur (1 or 2, same game basically) is my second favorite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I've got Guilty Gear for the ps1 and it ranks right up there with the other great fighters on the system (Capcom vs SNK Pro, Street Fighter Alpha 3). Some of the character designs are cool while others are fairly weak though, and some will make you go WTF? (see: Dr. Baldhead/Faust, dunno why the renamed him x_x )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Eh, its ok.

Guilty Gear 1 had some issues (uber powerful instant kills), but it looked pretty.

Guilty Gear X wasn't too bad, and there was quite a bit of interest around here, but I never got into it a whole lot.

Guilty Gear XX, isn't too bad. But it suffers the problem of having too much stuff for me to have to keep track of. Roman Cancels and False Roman Cancels and Dust combos and just crazy crap thats beyond even me. And I can take alot of crazy crap! That said, the widely believed best Ky Kiske player in this part of the world lives not too far from here, which is a neat piece of trivia.

I-No is pretty cool though. I don't know what to make of Guilty Gear Isuka. 4 player fighter sounds cool, but I think it'll end up having alot of stupid crap in it, from people hitting someone on both sides, and the like.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I enjoy this series quite a bit, and am yet to be defeated when I play as Bridget....

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the series also. It's not my favorite, but I do appreciate the work that they put into it. There's a lot going on in the game, and I'm nowhere near good enough to be really competent at it. It's nice to look at though. I'm not in love with any of the characters. If I could find one that I really liked, I'm sure that I would like it more.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Ehh, never got too much into it. The only GG I've played extensively was GG X Advance Edition, and when I first played the Survivor mode (the second day I had it!) I won something like 65 fights in a row. Doesn't make the best impression on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    I enjoy this series quite a bit, and am yet to be defeated when I play as Bridget....

-AG
    Bridget's one disturbing um..guy, er girl?

Any recommendations on characters to practice using at first?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use Sol-badguy. Hes friggin awesome. However, if you want to become undefeatable, use Chipp. Hes got warp moves, moving you from anywhere on the screen to right next to or behind your opponent, or in the air just above him. I think the combo is something like down down then an attack.

Anyway, my friend, using Chipp, is almost undefeated with him. This method will also piss people off, seeing as it is extremely cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Guilty Gear X and think its the best 2D fighter around. I love the combo, Instant Kill, and Roman Cancel systems.

I have yet to land my hands on XX, but I will eventually.

I also like the advance edition (got it for $.88 brand new at CompUSA ) but some minor things have changed. For some reason I can't pull off the ultimate combo with Ky on the GBA, but can on the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to rate Guilty Gear as my favorite fighting series. It's not as suited to competition as the best of the Street Fighter or KoF lines, but the GG label employs wonderfully frantic gameplay and an amazing excess of style. It's as though the designers mixed the exaggeration of Darkstalkers with the detail of the Samurai Shodown titles, and then threw in a bunch of heavy-metal references and bizarre storylines. Fun stuff.

I didn't really care for the GBA version, though. It looks like a GameBoy Color game at times, and it offers little that can't be found in Guilty Gear X. I've heard that the Guilty Gear Petit games for the WonderSwan Color are better, but I haven't tried them.

It's best to try all of the characters and stick with the one that most appeals to you, but Sol and Ky are pretty safe bets for starting players. Millia's also easy to use effectively. (In other words, she's cheap.)
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    I'd have to rate Guilty Gear as my favorite fighting series. It's not as suited to competition as the best of the Street Fighter or KoF lines, but the GG label employs wonderfully frantic gameplay and an amazing excess of style. It's as though the designers mixed the exaggeration of Darkstalkers with the detail of the Samurai Shodown titles, and then threw in a bunch of heavy-metal references and bizarre storylines. Fun stuff.

I didn't really care for the GBA version, though. It looks like a GameBoy Color game at times, and it offers little that can't be found in Guilty Gear X. I've heard that the Guilty Gear Petit games for the WonderSwan Color are better, but I haven't tried them.

It's best to try all of the characters and stick with the one that most appeals to you, but Sol and Ky are pretty safe bets for starting players. Millia's also easy to use effectively. (In other words, she's cheap.)
    Dunno about the competition thing. It seems pretty popular in Japan for competitive play, both XX and Reloaded (even though alot of the japanese feel XX was better). It's just a game that one has to put some real time into to be good at.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've gotten Sol and Al's first endings and may's 2nd already. Learning also that difficulty level doesn't determine endings, it's your path, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Dunno about the competition thing. It seems pretty popular in Japan for competitive play, both XX and Reloaded (even though alot of the japanese feel XX was better). It's just a game that one has to put some real time into to be good at.
    How do they deal with the instant-kill moves in tournaments? Is there some agreement that they won't be used, or are they employed as usual? The only Guilty Gear competition that I witnessed barred the death moves, but it used the original game.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Actually, in tournament play, the IK moves rarely come up, because for the most part, they aren't very easy to land, and once you enter IK mode, the other person tends to watch out for em. I think the only times they get landed is when one person is dizzied. Plus, since it takes meter to enter IK mode (or else your life drops), it's not considered helpful there, since most of the time GGXX players are using that meter for combos and to avoid chip damage, and the like.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the original Guilty Gear, which let you do IK whenever you wanted. That game literally came down to who landed theirs first
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives