Thread: Intellivision controller woe

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision controller woe

I took out the intellivision for a spin last night and after a while noticed the controller was getting a little unresponsive. Being in a good mood I took it apart for some cleaning... no luck

Multimeter comes out... testing...

well looks like the plastic cicuity thingy has a bad area in the fold, where 8 (yes 8) lines are just barely connected (I did on continuance test to find the area, and then pulled out a magnify glass).

I tried to tape tin-foil (tested for conductivity) over each line, but they kinda flake out - the fold seems to push it out of place after a few minutes.

Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves? (Short of finding a new system, I've never seen one in the wild)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, normally, I'd replace with a working MPCB (that's the flex circuit you just multimeter tested). fact is, I'm running out of working MPCB's, and it's been a while since I've found a parts deck.

I've been keeoing my non functional MPCB's in hopes that there might be a way to repair the traces. I'm thinking about some kind of "conductive pen", that would allow one to 're-draw' the traces. Is there such a thing?

I've also read something about some sort of conductive paste that can be used to repair the heat elements in rear windshield defrosters, that could also be used to repair traces.

I don't know enough about this stuff, buy maybe someone here does. I'm certain these difficult to fnd and replace MPCB's could be repaired with the right treatment.

There is no endless supply of these MPCB's. I think we need to figure something out.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a one conductive pen - but I also worry about the location - even if a pen re-traced it, it might just break off when re-folding it.... I don't mean to be a pessimist.

Here's a link for a conductive pen I found:
    http://www.web-tronics.com/2200-mtp.html

My local active electronics doesn't carry it (or alternatives) and won't order it. It could be a very handy item, though....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally found where to get a conductive pen for $20.00 bucks. Bitting the bullet I justified the purchase by saying I could always use the stuff for other projects.

It seemed to work great - but after re-assembly, the very same joints were broken again. I'm not giving up yet, I'm sure there's a way to revive this sucker... I think I'll have to let the circuit cure while folded.

Not an easy task though - the traces are pretty close together and the conductive "ink" is more liquid than one might think. Smells great too...

I really really want to play my Inty - esp. with since I recently replaced the powersupply

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you just jump the fold with a small wire?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried that too... as soon as I fold it the wire dislocates as soon as it's folded. There's not alot of places the tape can get... um... traction? purchase? as the traces that are broken are so close together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got some pretty ratty MPCB's. I've got a pic in my head of one of those folding sections with so many traces.

WHAT IF a person cut that whole chunk out, and re-routed, say over a patch of thick cellophane tape? You cut out the offending square, make a square of cellophane style (packing) tape as a patch, and say ran it across the fold point with single strand 30 awg wire?

It almost woudn't make sense to do one part, but maybe cut out the eitire folded trace section, and replace. IF ( a big if) that could work, it could end up being hard to gert everything lined up perfectly again after refolding. the MPCB's have to line up exactly, or it's all pointless.

I'm just blue skying here to bounce it off you guys. I have some crap MPCB's I could sacrifice to the cause. I think it's a longshot, but if the pen doesn't do it, maybe one could replace the fold with a wired cello hinge. It being adhesive may make it easier, and if you use wire that's insulated, less risk of inadvertent shorting.

Am I nuts?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not nuts at all.
    That's my "Back-up plan" hehehe the one I don't want to do but probably will end up having to do.

I have some old IDE cables I'm willing to sacrifice to the cause (small, flexible, flat, folds as one) .

A good long-weekend project.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bleah... no luck with the connective pen or wires for me. the area my breaks are in is just too small/awkward to get everything in place and not have them move/pop out of place when re-assembling them.

x_x