Thread: DOLPHIN BLUE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOLPHIN BLUE

I went by an arcade today and found something incredible, sorta. I found the arcade game DOLPHIN BLUE. I don't know if it was developed by Sammy but it is put out by them. It plays almost exactly like Metal Slug. Even some of the enemies and boss characters share the same designs. What separates the two is the presentation. Handrawn well animated characters against realtime 3d environments. The game looks like it runs on the Naomi board. I don't know that for sure but I do know that Sammy is still developing with that system. If anybody has some links to articles or confirmed info please post it. This game is awesome. If it doesn't come out for one of the home consoles i think i might have to buy the arcade machine. It is that awesome! Did I mention that DOLPHIN BLUE is awesome? HA!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: DOLPHIN BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    The game looks like it runs on the Naomi board. I don't know that for sure but I do know that Sammy is still developing with that system. If anybody has some links to articles or confirmed info please post it.
    Nope, it runs on Sammy's Atomiswave system.

http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_atomiswave.html

I hope to get one of these setups at some point. Dolphin Blue does look really cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ME WANT PLAY

Ahem. That is to say, I would like to locate an establishment that hosts this particular title. Where was the arcade you visited, RCM?

Anyway, here's the official page for Dolphin Blue.

http://www.sammy.co.jp/japanese/prod...swave/dolphin/

It was apparently shown at E3, so I guess it's out in America.

http://millartime.com/e3expo/

http://millartime.com/e3expo/pix/dolphin_blue.jpg

From what I gather, it's an impressive little action game. The world could always use another Metal Slug rip-off, and Dolphin Blue's art style reminds me of those fine Psikyo illustrations of games past. It's a shame that most arcades wouldn't order something called "Dolphin Blue" unless they mistook it for a racing game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Butta (i forgot the rest of your name)

Thanks for the link. The Atomiswave hardware is basically a dreamcast so I wasn't far off when I said it looked like Naomi! Here is an excerpt from the link u sent me:

Notes : This is a joint venture between SAMMY and Sega to produce their own hardware, it is basically a dreamcast on a Jamma PCB.
    It is possible to connect the systems on the network using both 56K modem or broadband connection, the software can be exchanged easily by swapping the ROMs, and it supports various types of input such as joystick, light gun, and track ball via a common interface.

As for the location. I live in Northern Jersey so happy hunting. ANybody that does live in Jersey or NYC and wants to check out the game and needs directions email me at bblue138@aol.com and I will be happy to tell you how to get there! As for everyone else, find this game and play it! It rocks

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who knows, we may get a PS2 port at some point. In fact, I'd almost guarantee a JPN PS2 release, with way less of a chance for a US release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: DOLPHIN BLUE

Whoa, thanks for cluing me in to this one. I've been admiring the oh so sexy design of the Atomiswave system for a long time, but I'd say a Metal Slug setup is more my style than Guilty Gear X v1.5. I'm guessing the system (no cabinet, just the system and artwork, i.e. an upgrade kit) would run about $700 since that's about what GGX1.5 was when I looked.

Go Sammy! Moving on from softcore pr0n to hardcore games

Oh, and I'm glad to see you're sticking with us RCM, despite all the controversy of your first post. We really don't mind that sort of thing at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ed-
    I am glad that you're glad i stayed! I pride myself on being a great and well informed gamer. Just because someone doesn't agree with me doesn't mean i will run. I am very confident in the good word (mine). That was sorta a joke people! Anyway, all must play Dolphin Blue! It feels like a sequal to Metal Slug so I am all for it considering there aren't many (or any?). I really haven't gushed over a game like I did DB in a while. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that besides hearing the name I knew nothing about it. Go Dolphin Blue Go!!! By the way, What sort of thing don't you mind at all?

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correction to my last post. When I said Anyway, all must play Dolphin Blue! It feels like a sequal to Metal Slug so I am all for it considering there aren't many (or any?). I was talking about Metal Slug knock offs. I know there have been sequels. I am own em! Sorry bout that people!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM