Thread: 8 SNES games that should be on everyones top 10 list

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8 SNES games that should be on everyones top 10 list

When it comes to the Super Nintendo, to me, there seems to be a much more clear Top 10 list, then just about any other system. Especially a top 8. You can have your favorite games, in whatever genre they might be, but it would seem to me that it would be really, really hard to leave any of these 8 games off of a Top 10 Super Nintendo games list.

And here are the nominees:

1. Super Mario World : I personally believe that Super Mario World could be the most underrated game out there. This game was such a solid piece of classic work by Nintendo and Myamoto, but it seems that people tend to forget about this game, and gloss over it, because it's the game that everybody had, and that everybodies already played to death. Sure it's not a sexy selection by any measure, but it is just so freaking solid. An absolute classic, and a game that should be ranked in the Top 10 of not only a Super Nintendo list, but a 100 best games of all time on any system list.

2. Super Mario Kart: Please, try to leave Mario Kart off a top 10 Super Nintendo list. You can't. Nobody can. This game has playability and fun factor just oozing out of the seams. Again, not the sexiest choice out there, but it's hard to think of a more solid and fun SNES game period!

3. Super Metroid - Metroid is just such a classic action adventure game. It took a long time for Nintendo to give us a Super Nintendo version of Metroid, but the wait was definitely worth it. You have to consider Super Metroid to be one of the best action/adventure games of all time.

4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - The SNES Zelda, is just a magical game, that transports you to a different time and place. To a magical world. This game just has that magical Nintendo quality that you can't put into words. Like Super Mario World, Link to the Past should be ranked not only in a Super NES top 10, but a top 100 games of all time list's top 10.

5. Castlevania IV - Konami's action adventure masterpiece definitely belongs on anybodies top 10 SNES list. Some of the best music, and best visuals that the SNES has ever seen. Just pure Casltevania bliss.

6. Contra III: The Alien Wars - Another Konami action adventure classic. I remember first getting Contra for the SNES, and thinking to myself, that this is what I was dreaming about, when I thought about the potential of the SNES.

7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Is there a more beautiful game then Yoshi's Island? One of the last SNES games, was also easily one of the best.

8. Super Mario All-Stars - Some people might have a problem with this game being ranked in here, because it actually is a game that contains games from the previous Nintendo system. So some people think that you need to disregard this game, when it comes to rankings. But I think you have to give this game the credit that it deserves. It has Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros. 3, and it has these games redone with 16 bit Graphics and Sounds. Plus you can save your game. Both Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3, belong in the top 10 of a all time top 100 games list, and the fact that these games have been redone with better graphics and sounds, pushes it over the edge. I rank it in the top 10, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ok, these are the 8 SNES games that have to be ranked in everybodies top 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Sounds pretty good to me, you tagged all 3 of my bases (Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, Mario Kart) and then rounded 3rd for the home plate (Contra III), so I declare you safe.

As for all the Mario titles, I much prefer Bonk or Sonic, but then again, we aren't gonna see those on the SNES are we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: 8 SNES games that should be on everyones top 10 list

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    2. Super Mario Kart: Please, try to leave Mario Kart off a top 10 Super Nintendo list. You can't. Nobody can. This game has playability and fun factor just oozing out of the seams. Again, not the sexiest choice out there, but it's hard to think of a more solid and fun SNES game period!
    Never got into it, sorry.

4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - The SNES Zelda, is just a magical game, that transports you to a different time and place. To a magical world. This game just has that magical Nintendo quality that you can't put into words. Like Super Mario World, Link to the Past should be ranked not only in a Super NES top 10, but a top 100 games of all time list's top 10.
    After playing through it a few times, I haven't touched it since.

5. Castlevania IV - Konami's action adventure masterpiece definitely belongs on anybodies top 10 SNES list. Some of the best music, and best visuals that the SNES has ever seen. Just pure Casltevania bliss.
    Played it once.

Ok, these are the 8 SNES games that have to be ranked in everybodies top 10
    8 out of 10? Doesn't leave much leeway for personal opinion, does it? ^_^

I prefer Super Punch-Out, Kirby's Avalanche, Tetris Attack, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Chrono Trigger, and probably a few others I'm forgetting to those games. But that's my opinion. No one else has to like those games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: 8 SNES games that should be on everyones top 10 list

Fickle like a woman...forgotten about Demon's Crest, have we?

I'd also agree that the RPGs are sorely lacking here, as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never saw the appeal of Castlevania IV . . . Well, that's not entirely true. I enjoyed it back in the day due to its pretty visuals and soundtrack. Yet now it seems sluggish, bland, and slow to interest. And since it's an ostensible remake of the original Castlevania, it feels like a step back from Castlevania III.

Castlevania IV is a decent game, but I don't think it's even top 30 material as far as the SNES library goes.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It IS a remake, plain and simple. Not that I mind Konami US interns writing up the manual and causing some confusion, the names for characters we get as a result are hillarious.

Hmm. I've always like Super CV4 a lot.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had figured that people that were big time RPG fans, or big time fighting game fans, would have a problem with this list, and that is understandable. If you are a big time RPG fan, then that is what you are going to mostly play, and your list is going to have Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy II and stuff like that, but I'm saying that you have to kindof remove your own personal genre's from this ranking. This is a ranking that you would be giving to somebody who just got a SNES and was wondering what the 10 best SNES games were. You wouldn't give that guy a list with 6 RPG's and then 4 other games, or 6 fighters, and then 4 other games, or 6 sports games, and then 4 other games.

You would give them a list of the 10 best overall games, that you feel pretty much appeal to everybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wholeheartedly agree with 6 of your 8. However, I would bump Yoshi's Island for Donkey Kong Country. YI may have been much more original, but DKC is fun, fun, fun!

The other problem I have is with Castlevania IV. I don't think this game is a strong point on the SNES or in the CV series. Compared to it's predecessors it is just so bland. Everything is more subdued. The music tries to set a sombre tone but makes me feel like hunting drac is a burden. It has more moodsetting sound effects than actual tracks. Compare that with CV 1-3 where the music is composed of killer upbeat tunes that pump you up and keep you in that 'Dracula is mine' frame of mind. And why are all of the colours so dark and washed out? There is something wrong when all 3 of the 8-bit titles are more colorful than a game with much better technology to work with.

Okay, my CV IV rant is over. In it's place I would pick from: Simcity, Lemmings, FFII, FFIII, or The Lost Vikings.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some very good selections, but I would have to agree with some of the other posts, castle 4 has to go, Mario kart is definitly top 10 (I never cared for the n64 version but I could still pop this one in and have a blast, zelda, metroid, and mario world, I would also throw in Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, I'm one of those Cult Classic Earthbound Lovers, I mean I believe earthbound is the best game on the system(obviously not for graphic reasons, although I love the graphics on that game)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are forgetting Rock N Roll Racing and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

2 of the more underrated games for the SNES.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

aHEM.

Axelay? Space Megaforce? R-Type III? Gradius III?

Where are the shmup fans, I ask?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthbound

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you wcmiker, Thank you :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wondered why people thought that Castlevania IV had good graphics. I bought that game the DAY it came out at the local Software Etc. and even back then the game looked plain! I remember being dissapointed but stuck to it because I was in such need of SNES games. :P Ohhhhh the long days waiting for Street Fighter 2!!

Good choice on the Mario Kart though. Only those who've delved into that games innermost gameplay will understand how much of a huge innovater it was and above all CRAZY FUN. Thankfully, most people who play vids have done so

Only other game I agree about is Zelda.

Also Chrono Trigger should be in there. Not because it's an RPG... but because it truly is one of the top games for the system. Even better than the FF's and beats them out as the RPG "representative" imho.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you may recieve some flack concerning the abscence of some "square" titiles to that list. I think you have a somewhat solid list, I do agree that with the super nintendo it is very easy to list awesome titles that nearly everyone agrees upon.
    I think that those who argue your list, would still probably not leave the titles that you mentioned out of the top twenty. It is purley based on opinion on who gets the top spot. Personally, I am akin to Turtles in time, Donkey Kong, and Megaman X. I think that you would agree that those are some slammin titles, but maybe not good enough for the top eight.
    But people are different, and so are opinions! Learn to embrace it people!

All that aside, I can't say that you have a bad game up there. They are all solid gold, god bless the SNES.
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the problem with snes lists is: you easily do find let's say 10 games everyone agrees that they are great(though i have to say CV IV is not worth being on that list) BUT there are about 30-50 games like this where 95% of the people will agree that this game is superb
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Hey folks.

This subject is still open for discussion in the "official" Top 50 list thread.

Let's continue it there.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1160

Thank ya.