Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on the new castlevania

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thoughts on the new castlevania

its pretty good, extremely better then the n64 versions, it feels like devil may cry though, so far its a really tight game.
    "Oh no, the dead have risen and they're voting Republican!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: thoughts on the new castlevania

I loved the N64 versions...platformer fans like myself might not like the apparently blander castle design.

I swear, Igarashi wouldn't know an exciting design if it whacked him upside the head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the N64 ones too...they're cheap as hell, but fun As for the new CV, if it's too much like DMC, I'll probably hate it. I haven't liked the paths that the new androgynous logoed Konami has been taking with the series since SOTN myself. I might buy it used later on...but I'm not paying full price for Lament.

addendum: just realized how many bloody abbreviations are in that statement! I'd love to see someone try to puzzle that out without gaming knowledge
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I really liked it.
    The castle seemed bland, with no interaction.
    And you battle monsters dynasty-warriors style:
    just reaming on the buttons.
    I'd pay about $20 for it,
    but not more.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after playing it a bit longer, i can safely say that unless you're a diehard castlevania fan, wait til it goes down in price, its definitely worth owning, but not for 50 dollars.
    "Oh no, the dead have risen and they're voting Republican!"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what everyone was expecting. But I like it alot. Voice acting is a little crappy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far I've gotten through the first boss and I like the game. It's not the best thing out there, but its fun. To me, it feels like Castlevania. The camera is a bit wierd, but as far as gameplay goes, its dead on. I mean come on what did you do in the others games that you couldn't do here (SotN aside becuase of the RPG elements). I'm not sure how long the game is, but I don't mind paying the 50 for it. I could however change my mind, but who knows.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    The camera is a bit wierd, but as far as gameplay goes, its dead on. I mean come on what did you do in the others games that you couldn't do here (SotN aside becuase of the RPG elements). I'm not sure how long the game is, but I don't mind paying the 50 for it. I could however change my mind, but who knows.
    You don't like the camera? I LOVE the camera. It's very nice to play a modern action/platformer that doesn't require manual camera control.

My major beef with Lament is simple: too much fighting, not enough platforming or exploration. And I'm a sucker for the added depth that RPG elements bring with 'em, so I miss those a great deal.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what I've heard, it's easy to lose sight of Medusa during the boss fight there, and I've heard a lot of people say they hate the camera.

To each their own, eh? I don't think it will bother me much since I'm an old time FPSer and good at tracking things I can't see.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    From what I've heard, it's easy to lose sight of Medusa during the boss fight there, and I've heard a lot of people say they hate the camera.
    Yep, there are camera issues during the boss battles, but nothing overwhelming.

Maybe players have become so accustomed to controlling the camera that they resent NOT having manual control, whereas I love focusing on the gameplay while the game handles the cinematography.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    The camera is a bit wierd, but as far as gameplay goes, its dead on. I mean come on what did you do in the others games that you couldn't do here (SotN aside becuase of the RPG elements). I'm not sure how long the game is, but I don't mind paying the 50 for it. I could however change my mind, but who knows.
    You don't like the camera? I LOVE the camera. It's very nice to play a modern action/platformer that doesn't require manual camera control.

My major beef with Lament is simple: too much fighting, not enough platforming or exploration. And I'm a sucker for the added depth that RPG elements bring with 'em, so I miss those a great deal.

-- Z.
    I do like the camera a bit, but sometimes its a pain to see the enemies. I do also enjoy the RPG elements of SotN more, I was just referring to how the game feels like the other more action based castlevanias. I mean all you ever did in the past was whip the shit out of monsters and jump around. I do agree with everything you said, but I still am enjoying the game as it is. Remember, almost every game can always be better.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do like the camera a bit, but sometimes its a pain to see the enemies. I do also enjoy the RPG elements of SotN more, I was just referring to how the game feels like the other more action based castlevanias. I mean all you ever did in the past was whip the shit out of monsters and jump around. :) I do agree with everything you said, but I still am enjoying the game as it is. Remember, almost every game can always be better.
    Oh, it definitely has the old-school feel. They just went too heavy on whipping the shit out of monsters and too light on the jumping around. I'm confident that the next CV will redress the gameplay balance.

And, hey, "almost" every game can be better? What is this perfect game you speak of? (I'm just giving you good-natured shit.) Every programmer I've ever met "laments" -- giggle, snort -- the fact that he has to ship the game instead of improving it in perpetuity.

-- Z.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

What is this perfect game you speak of?
    Super Monkey Ball

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in this new Caslevania game...the fact that it lacks RPG elements makes it that much more appealing to me.

Scooterb23 - Impatient gamer
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dove into it last night and I'm enjoying it. I'm a fan of the NES-SNES Castlevania games, so the straight-out action suits me well. Not being a fan of RPG's kinda turned me away from SotN, since the RPG element is very much a key part of the gameplay. I do, however, enjoy the 2D action it provides. Sad thing is, many are spoiled on SotN, so I don't think that this game will fare as well as it could have--but a true Castlevania fan will enjoy it.

EDIT: After reading the topic on the CV forums, I can see that my claim above is not without merit.

If there's any fault that I can find in the new game, it's the fact that much of the action is repetitve to an infinite degree. Much like a previous poster said, it's much like Dynasty Warriors. However, there are some added elements, such as the artifacts, that add a bit of depth to it.

Overall, I have to say that I am impressed with the game and I think that my money was well spent.

Oh yeah, and the music is simply superb. I need a soundtrack to this game.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I like it quite a bit myself. It feels like CV to me, much more so than the N64 games did (sorry, I just wasn't crazy about 'em). Whether or not it's going to end up being ranked with the "classic" CVs remains to be seen, but I certainly feel that my money was well spent.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I bought the n64 CV the day it came out. Needless to say I was sorely disappointed. I am however enjoying Circle of the Moon right now, just put it down a couple minutes ago.

I'll hold off on LoI until it drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For once, I'm glad a game came out in the states first. Too many 'ifs' for me to buy it new. I like the series, but I"m not in love with it by a stretch. I'm stickler for bad camera work, so I'll pick it up used.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I'm getting it tomorrow. I'll tell you all about it on Sunday... if I can drag myself away from the PS2. :P
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played a bit more today and I'm digging it even more. Now that I learned some combos and get some orbs (changes the way items are used) fighting is pretty fun. The puzzles are kind of non-existent which kinda sucks, but like I said before, I'm enjoying whats given to me.