View Poll Results: Which game do you prefer?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Castlevania IV

26 53.06%
  • Contra III

23 46.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super CV IV versus Contra III

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Super CV IV versus Contra III

http://www.forumplanet.com/classicga...3&p=1#12737349 o.O

Well, I won't say too much about this one. From that link you'll see that the majority of respondents from the CV Dungeon Forum have chosen the CV game...which I doubt to be the case here. Forgot a poll there but I suppose that's alright.

Sorry about a poll so close on the heels of the last one I put out, but I must find out the answer to this question.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I chose cv 4 because cv is one of my favorite gaming series, but so is contra, but i really suck at contra games so i go with cv 4 because I can beat it.( i know my excuse sounds really lame)

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Contra III is (and I guess it always will be) my all time fave SNES game. Would that answer your question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, it certainly does. I see a lot of good in Super CV IV, but there's no doubt that it's slower paced. Perhaps the length of play is an issue..?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I go with Super Castlevania IV, easily and this is coming from a die hard Contra fan. While I love that Konami used the SNES hardware to create unique levels in their games (ie, the rotating room in SCIV), the overhead levels in Contra III was asstacular. I absolutely HATE them, and they feel totally out of place in a Contra game. It would been way cool if they wouldve included base levels like those in the original Contra, but gave them the Mode 7 treatment.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I had to go with Contra, but really I love both games about equally. I think the reason I ended up choosing Contra III are all those intense online 2-player games I've had with friends!

Also, Jay, you mentioned you hated the overhead levels (I can't blame you, I hate them as well), try out Contra: Hard Corps on the Genesis! I'd have to say that CHC is BETTER than Contra III. There are NO (from what I've played) overhead levels or those crappy psuedo-3D levels that were in the first one. Just side-scrolling action!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

What about the highway chase when you're fighting Deadeye Joe in CHC? That's in 3-D.

I had to pick Contra III. I like it just a slight bit more than SCV4 - but not much. If anything it rates higher by a few percentage points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

@Dire, CRAP! I forgot all about that. It's in psuedo-3D, but it's still a hell of a lot better than the top-down atrocities in CIII. Good memory though!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can't answer this really cause these are two different kind of games.
    I know that both are plattformers but that's it.
    I love both.
    Contra for it's incredible leveldesign and it's fast action and gfx
    SC4 for it's atmosphere(still the best Castlevania IMO) and for it's music which is still the best of any castlevania.......the theme of level 3 (the cave-stage) is UNBELIEVABLE
    I listen to it for relaxing
    Go here for Castlevania 4 stage 3 music midi:
    http://www.laurasmidi.com/0vg/SuperN...levania4.shtml

..and Contra:HC is NOT better than C3
    C3's leveldesign(beside the overhead levels) and gfx are unbeatable

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I had to go with Contra, but really I love both games about equally. I think the reason I ended up choosing Contra III are all those intense online 2-player games I've had with friends!

Also, Jay, you mentioned you hated the overhead levels (I can't blame you, I hate them as well), try out Contra: Hard Corps on the Genesis! I'd have to say that CHC is BETTER than Contra III. There are NO (from what I've played) overhead levels or those crappy psuedo-3D levels that were in the first one. Just side-scrolling action!
    Hey, those crappy psuedo 3D levels from the first Contra ruled! Putting a round in that red dude doing the ballet leaps was always a good time

And you're right, I need to try Hard Corps. I just got into Genny gaming last year, and I need to pick it up.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I can't pick. No, I can't, really. They were both awsome games I bought the second they came out and played for months on end before I got tired of them. Super Castlevania IV I got right after I got my SNES and it keep me amused while I was in bed all week recovering from a nasty case of wisdom teeth surgery. Contra III blew me away with it's graphics (I enjoyed the 3D levels) and the awsome rooting-shooting game play. I still play both games today (although normaly the GBA version of Contra 3).
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to go with CV4 as well. I've gotten more play out of it than Contra 3, although I love them both
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I voted for Contra III. I have already ranted about the problems of cvIV in a different topic. I intrepret this vote as "which series do you think Konami did a better job with in terms of their first effort in upgrading from an 8 to 16-bit system?" My answer to that is Contra III. Yes, the overhead levels suck. However, there are only a few of them, and the other levels absolutely rock. CV IV just seems so generic.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I voted for Contra III . That game is the Bombdigity. I dont mind the overhead levels too much, but they are kinda corny. Also I never played a Castlevania game hehe :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thought on the Contra III overhead level...yes, I too think they sucked. That boss was pathetic. Would've been nice if they could've done something along the lines of Hard Corp's psuedo-3D levels (like Dire mentioned, the highway chase) and the other action sequences (fighting on top of the wing of your team's jet) or perhaps even some GI-JOE style action (i.e. behind the back running forward; I would've said Space Harrier but this is not only a Konami arcade game, but a bit more fitting as you're constricted to moving left and right). The bike chase was great, though.

I liked the overhead levels in Super C...the isometric levels in the original Contra really aren't too hard, but they're not a lot of fun for me either.

Still haven't voted. 9 and 9, a tie.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    @Dire, CRAP! I forgot all about that. It's in psuedo-3D, but it's still a hell of a lot better than the top-down atrocities in CIII. Good memory though!
    Thanks. Personally, I like the overhead levels in Contra III a bit more than the pseudo 3D ones in CHC. Of course, I like Contra III more than CHC anyway. *shrug*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say that Contra III better represents the use of new hardware to enhance a series. The new gameplay features are excellent (carrying two guns, grabbing onto walls and overhead rails, etc.), and the visuals look just as you'd expect a 16-bit Contra to. The game also includes one of the most exhilarating moments in action-game history: at the end of the fourth stage, where you leap from missile to missile while firing at the core of a floating battleship's engine.

For the record, I enjoyed the overhead scenes in Contra III. They weren't as tight as the side-scrolling levels, but the freedom to choose your order of attack provided a entertaining break from the directness of the other stages. And the fifth level's sand boss was incredible.

Castlevania IV, on the other hand, is mired in the flaws of its predecessors. It may have a few new techniques and impressive effects, but the control is sluggish and it takes a long time to get anywhere. As a remake of the original, it's a step backward from the exploration of Castlevania II or the character-switching of Castlevania III.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Someone does'nt like the Castlevanias? The horror!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Don't forget Cv4's other flaw, the weak bosses. All you had to do to win was outlast them in a tit-for-tat duel. Bosses with inklings of challenge didn't start until you reached the boss trio, Slogra, forgot winged demon's name, and Death. And that was at about the very end of the game.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I don't know, I thought both games had wonderfull graphics, awsome music, very good gameplay, and were made by Konami, one of the best gaming companies around. SC 4 was slower then Contra, but that's due the nature of the games. Castlevania has always been a more slower paced game theme then the run and gun Contras. And neither game has been matched since. I think both games were the best ones in the series.