Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you keep track of all your games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gaming Inventory

Oddly enough, I am in the middle of my weekend (Sunday and Monday) project to do a complete, up to date inventory of my collection. I am doing a database using Microsoft Works. Sunday was the classic systems - RCS Studio II through Commodore 64 , and today I started on NES and hope to finish.

I was thinking on printing it out, but had another idea that I was wondering about. Does anyone know anything about PDAs and other handheld devices that can connect to my PC to share data - would it be possible to use one as a portable inventory? I'd much rather get one of those than carry around a printed version of my list.

Would this be possible, and how much do those things run?

Ruffie

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Default Re: Gaming Inventory

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffie
    Oddly enough, I am in the middle of my weekend (Sunday and Monday) project to do a complete, up to date inventory of my collection. I am doing a database using Microsoft Works. Sunday was the classic systems - RCS Studio II through Commodore 64 , and today I started on NES and hope to finish.

I was thinking on printing it out, but had another idea that I was wondering about. Does anyone know anything about PDAs and other handheld devices that can connect to my PC to share data - would it be possible to use one as a portable inventory? I'd much rather get one of those than carry around a printed version of my list.

Would this be possible, and how much do those things run?
    As I said earlier, I have all my collections on my PPC. Maybe what I didn't mention is that HanDBase 3.0 is also installed on my laptop, which means I can updated my databases on either machine.

When creating my 'rarity listings' I simply create a csv file and then import it. Next time I sync it's on my PPC.

As for pricing you're on your own - just check around some web sites (like Best Buy - they carry PPCs). You can also get programs like HanDBase (and HanDBase itself) for the Palm OS. Actually I find that there is *way* more Palm freeware out there than PPC freeware. But I still like my PPC more (maybe playing a VCS emulator on it helps ).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Ive got an Excel sheet goin for everything, but i only keep the modern (Disc) systems up to date, Ive also got an IGN page... but ive got enough on there that it loads horribly... lookin into getting an Acess database up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    You can also get programs like HanDBase (and HanDBase itself) for the Palm OS.
    Which version of HanDBase should I buy? Plus, Professional or Enterprise?
    search engine @

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just keep a list on my personal freewebs page. I assume if someone wants more information on a game, they'll ask me or look it up somewhere.

I had been keeping an online CD list (see my sig for a link) for a year or so. The CD list came to mind one night when I was really bored. I just wrote down every CD I could find and arranged it alphabetically when I typed up the list, which took about 45 minutes. A while ago, I decided it was time to make an online list for video games too. So I wrote those down and typed them up. Since I have more CDs than I do video games, it took a lot less longer to type them up!

Btw, you're more than welcome to view my video game list. Click the "Game Collection" link in my signature.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

[quote="Nicola"]
    Which version of HanDBase should I buy? Plus, Professional or Enterprise?
    I think it's just Plus (the cheapest version) that I bought. All you want is a good database progrgam for the PPC - one that you can create the DBs on your PC and then sync down to the PPC. The other programs, I believe, are useful if you're syncing with multiple users.

I've actually just changed my DBs from "one database per medium" (which just contained the games I owned) to "one database per console" (which has *every* game listed, it's rarity, if I own it or not, and if it's on my want list or not - it's *fantastic*). And yes, I *manually* entered a *lot* of rarity values (I'm quite *clearly* insane)...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And yes, I *manually* entered a *lot* of rarity values (I'm quite *clearly* insane)...

That's a HUGE work!

And thanks for the info!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use Collector at playright.dk. There's an english version of the site at uk.playright.dk. Still in Beta though.

I only have about 260 games in all to keep track of, though...
    Setup Stuff (1 MB) Hall Of Fame
    Say what? This is no fluke. This is why I'm here every year.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a SQL Server 2000 database with a vb 6.0 sp5 front end. Works good but it bombs every now and then. No data lost.

Just last week I started working on a Web interface for this using ASP.Net. I plan to finish this up sometime this summer. I keep track of everything and since I have sold a lot of stuff I also keep track of what I have sold and how much for. I have a personal goal of breaking even on my collecting by 2005 Selling as much $ value as total cost, and having my collection for free. That would be nice .

I have thought about making my app open source and freely available, but the thing is it won't run on just any computer. It is a server based app which the complexity of a server based app puts a lot of people off. They won't use it. It would need extensive work if it was going to be made multi user. I am putting searches into the database, so that any time I want to look for something I can just click on a link and get that item on Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon.com (well 3 links, one for each site). This is a lot of work though and so I have recently taken a break from it.

DP, PM me if you think that you can use this in some kind of way.

Vic
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use IGN...very nice way to organize the list...the link is in my sig, but I just bought like 40 games that aren't on there yet...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by v1rich

Just last week I started working on a Web interface for this using ASP.Net. I plan to finish this up sometime this summer. I keep track of everything and since I have sold a lot of stuff I also keep track of what I have sold and how much for. I have a personal goal of breaking even on my collecting by 2005 Selling as much $ value as total cost, and having my collection for free. That would be nice .

I have thought about making my app open source and freely available, but the thing is it won't run on just any computer. It is a server based app which the complexity of a server based app puts a lot of people off. They won't use it. It would need extensive work if it was going to be made multi user. I am putting searches into the database, so that any time I want to look for something I can just click on a link and get that item on Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon.com (well 3 links, one for each site). This is a lot of work though and so I have recently taken a break from it.

DP, PM me if you think that you can use this in some kind of way.

Vic
    I very much like what you say in both paragraphs...
    Braking eaven is my goal too..

Intrested in learning more about your program too.