Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N64 Must Haves (gimme a little help)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N64 Must Haves (gimme a little help)

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-18-2020 at 06:32 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Goldeneye was solid for this system, and UMK3 was ported the best for this system. (Eat lack of loadtimes, PS1!) But other than that, you should take it out back and shoot it. And curse Nintendo's black heart for bolloxing up what could have been a great platform with too many bad decisions.

SF

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Look here, for the answer lies within:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1572
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After going over the notes (and ignoring Theaveng's posts), I have one thing to say:

If you like racers (which it looks like you do), I cannot reccomend Excitebike64 and Ridge Racer64 enough. Both are awesome games. Ridge Racer takes the three levels from RR: Revolution and gives them a redesign, and adds two new levels as well as support for 4 players and enhanced graphics with an expansion pak. It's a ton of fun, and controls similarly to RR: Revolution, my favorite of the series (control wise).

Excitebike64 is a great motocross game, probably the only one able to draw me in. And draw me in it did; I played that game for the better part of three months almost every day while I was at work. In addition the the many levels in the game, there are some great mini games, including uphill climb, downhill climb (more fun than they sound), soccer (the ball is huge!), the original excitebike, and an endless randomly generated desert (Which is rad). There's also a trick system which is pretty good in it's own right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpasticFuctard
    Goldeneye was solid for this system, and UMK3 was ported the best for this system. (Eat lack of loadtimes, PS1!) But other than that, you should take it out back and shoot it. And curse Nintendo's black heart for bolloxing up what could have been a great platform with too many bad decisions.

SF
    Other than going to a cartridge platform, which depending on one's view is good or bad, Nintendo seemed to do a pretty good job with the N64. They may not have busted down the doors like they did in the past but the last console cartridge system set standards that the current generation uses today.

-Analog sticks: true these sticks were used on the Atari 5200 but no one adopted it for their system. We don't see such a thing packaged with a system until the N64. Sony was quick to follow up with the Dual Shock.

-Rumble: even though it was not built in, Nintendo started the rumble craze with the rumble pack. Past "feedback" devices on consoles used sound to generate vibrations but it was a first for consoles to have a device that rumbled when the game told it to.

Yes there were bad games on the system (but there are bad games on all systems) but we got a lot of major leaps that helped usher in an era of 3D gaming (like it or not). For a new game system to sell off the shelves on the power of only 2 available launch titles (Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64), that says a lot.

Personally, I'd rather take a Playstation out back and introduce it to Mr. Sledgehammer as I wouldn't want to waste the ammo in shooting it.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Default Re: N64 Must Haves (gimme a little help)

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    I'm trying to get a few of those Must Have n65 titles. I hardly have any at all... what should I be looking for?

So far I only have:

Super mario 64
    Mario Kart 64 (J)
    Wipeout 64
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario

I have been thinking about getting Sin & Punishment, but is it really worth the price tag?
    Wow, the N65? Was that a Japan-only follow-up? :P

Anyway, as to what are the best, I'd say pick up Conker's BFD, Star Fox 64, and if you like sports games, I'd say NFL Blitz. But the one on the top of my list of the best would be CBFD. That game is just so much fun, and you get to fight an entire room of poo! What other game lets you do THAT?

I don't know about Sin & Punishment, but whatever you do, DON'T buy Quest 64. That game is just horrible for playing (unless you want it for collecting purposes), as is from what I've heard about it, Aiden Chronicals.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been thinking about getting Sin & Punishment, but is it really worth the price tag?
    isn't sin and punishment japan only?
    I'm pretty sure it is......but IT IS worth every cent.

other great n64 games:
    Bond Goldeneye
    Banjo and Kazooie
    Banjo and Tooie
    Mario Golf
    smash brothers
    Bio Freaks (Hey!I like it)
    Mace-The dark age
    Ridge Racer 64 (better than PS1)
    Excitebike 64 (awesome)
    Gauntlet
    Shadowman 64
    Bomberman 64
    Quake 2
    Perfect Dark
    Conker

there are just too many great titles
    N64 rocks

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-18-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is Ridge Racer 64 worth getting if I have already played R4 (PSone) to death?

also, are there any good shmups on the system?

I'm pretty suprised that no one busted out with Zelda on the lists above, but I guess you all just assumed that I have the Gamecube version of OOT.
    you don't have to mention the Zeldas
    It's clear that u can't have N64 without Zelda(Those games were better than all others).

shmups eh?
    2d ones are very rare on N64
    There is "Star Soldier - Vanishing earth" which is great IMO and "Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh" a Treasure shoother.
    Go here for "Bakuretsu" screenshots:
    http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/b...reenindex.html

3D shmups on N64:
    Starfox 64 (GET IT! Amazing 3D shooter with sick GFX and action-non stop)
    Aerofighters Assault
    Knifeegde (A lightgun-shooter without lightgun support )
    Star Wars_Rouge Squadron (Get this too)
    Star Wars -- Battle of Naiboo (?) (also good)
    add "Jet force Gemini" if ya want;it's also great

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is Ridge Racer 64 worth getting if I have already played R4 (PSone) to death?

also, are there any good shmups on the system?

I'm pretty suprised that no one busted out with Zelda on the lists above, but I guess you all just assumed that I have the Gamecube version of OOT.
    You can do alot better than RR64 if you want quality racers. The N64 is no slouch on racing games, its my favorite console for racers in fact. Try the San Fransisco Rush trilogy of games on this system, there's alot more depth and crazy fun to be found in these games, especially multiplayer Stunt courses. Rush:2049 tops RR64 in every category you can think of, Graphix, SoundFX, Music, Control, Imagination, Depth..and what I mean is it has Stunt, obstacle course, Shortcuts, secret cars, secret paths and an awesome system of collecting coins to unlock secret tracks and vehicles...keeps you coming back for more. If there's one point that this series has over other racers, is the AIRTIME baby!!! Give it up for the big Air...hoot hoot. It's probably the best game on the machine if you ask me, and easily the best racing game. Make sure you have an expansion pak.

The F1 racing games I've played on this machine have all been top notch, with great sound effects and plenty of simulation style options/controls etc...great for sim fans. There's also some cool GT type racing games like World Driver Championship and GT64...I don't really dig those types of games, but they are graphically nice...don't know much more about them.

1080 snowboarding, another stellar racing game, and cheap too. Beetle Adventure Racing gets alot of raves about it, never played it though. Micro Machines 64 is OK, although I gotta be honest, its not a very big step even over the NES version, and I still hate having all the racers on the same screen. Split screen is the way to go, so not having that for multiplayer is a big minus on MM64.

Oh well, there's lots of games to get for the N64, you should read the top 25 thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RR64 is definitely worth it if you're a big RR fan like I am. I also enjoy the SFRush games, but I like pure racers too. There was a short lived phase of which RR is a part of where racing games couldn't quite reflect real racing, so they developed a unique stylized version of racing (Daytona and RR are the two that come to mind that exemplify this). I really enjoyed this style, and if you did too, you owe it to yourself to pick up RR64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Space Invaders was on the 64 (the remake of it, anyhow) and that was pretty nice. F-zero X was a fantastic racer. I cna't recommend Star Fox 64 enough though-that was my only 64 game for about 2 months, and I played it constantly because it's just so damn fun.

I'll take on anyone in that game's battle mode who thinks they can beat me :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    I'm trying to get a few of those Must Have n65 titles.
    Wow, the N65? Was that a Japan-only follow-up? :P
    What? He clearly said the n65..!

Anyhow, I know I should've picked up a copy of Sin and Punishment long ago, but I don't think the price has climbed enough to be considered terrible. Wonder how it stacks up against Star Fox 64 as both are essentially rail shooters, but Sin and Punishment has to animate human characters and human-scale surroundings (which if you ask me isn't quite the same as naturally triangular starships and spacescapes).

@ Gunstarhero: How would you rate Xtreme G 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ogre Battle.

The only Non Horrible RPG on the system other than the Zeldas

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

big ups for rogue squadron! i like it even better than the GC follow up, excellent control and great dog fights.

you should also pick up conker's bad fur day, theres the imfamous factor but its also a good game, pretty hard even with a lot to do.

i like the battletanx games for just crushing around.

pod racer is a good once in a while arcade type game.

avoid that naboo fighter game, same engine and team as RS but none of the cleverness and care, well i hated it anyways...
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting thing about that Naboo Starfighter game...the Naboo Starfighter itself is inside of Rogue Squadron, you've got to enter a code of course but I think its appearance was the first time it was shown. Game was released before the movie, don't know if anybody found out about that fighter until later, though.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are so many great games on the 64. It's hard to recommend just a few. But.....

......as far as the racers are concerned, it was primarily the type of game that I enjoyed the most. I didn't care for Ridge 64, and I absolutely love the Ridge Racer series. The racer that I clocked the most time on was Top Gear Rally 64, although in retrospect the AI all but pulled over to the side of the track to let you pass. If you want a racer that you have to pay your dues on, try World Driver Championship. It was the closest "answer" to Turismo. There's also the Star Wars pod racer game, Episode One Racer. The final races are guaranteed to make your eyes water and your heart rate climb through the roof. You'll swear that you're headed for a coronary. I shake for about 15 minutes afterwards.

Like time trialling? Mario Kart's one of the best. We've gotten it to the point where we CANNOT shave another fragment of a second off of our bests. impossible. Same with Wipeout 64 and FzeroX.

Beetle Adventure racing has insane tracks, just like the Cruisin' series does.

There's tons of stuff. It makes me mad to think that the bulk of the population slammed the N64 for being too "kiddie", a term I really hate. The system is incredible. A 64 bit processor with the strangest texture mapping that you'd care to imagine...all wrapped up in a bombproof cartridge format. What's not to love? The games were F-U-N.

That's why it's my fave system of all time, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    That's why it's my fave system of all time, I guess.
    You know, I think I'm finally man enough to admit that it might be my favorite too. For awhile (before I'd gone old school) I boycotted the PS1 and the N64 was all I had. Good times... Anyways, WWF No Mercy should be added to that list, best American wrassler.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Zubiac666
    Go here for "Bakuretsu" screenshots:
    http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/b...reenindex.html
    Hmm... that looks somewhat different from the Dreamcast version.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played all of the racers that you guys have recomended and other than RR64, I dont care for any of them much. I'm a hardcore Ridge Racer & Wipeout guy. I stand by the Wipeout series as getting the most hours of gaming in my entire life, more than FF7 or Radiant Silvergun.

Conker is one that I have been thinking about b/c I keep seeing it for 9.99 along with Perfect Dark.

The Shmups that I have seen have been impresive, but I wanna get a shooter if its better than the ones that I currently have (favorites being Ikaruga, Raiden, Einhander, RS, and yes Xevious (nes).

I think that I'm going to get Starfox for sure though!

Oh yeah and I did say N65, its the best system ever! LMAO