Thread: No arcades!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No arcades!

It's just occurred to me that I don't know of any arcades around where I live! This is bad. I just moved here a couple years ago and haven't had the chance to look around much... I know there WAS one a few miles down rt 1 but it was closed when a semiretarded employee allegedly molested a little girl at a birthday party there last year...

There HAS to be a good arcade around here someplace. I'm dying for some good vector action.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the same way here in Muncie, Indiana, the only arcade I can think of is small, and in the mall, and they have barely a few games...the ones I remember are:

19XX (!)
    Space Invaders

That's all I remember, but they do have an uber Air Hockey table, in which I own all challengers

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a few in the area, but none of them have any classic games. In fact, just last Sunday I was at Funway in Walpole. I was looking around at all the new games feeling a bit disappointed when I heard that distinctive Pac-Man sound. Turns out it was one of those lame machines where you drop a token in and hope that you knock some tokens from the big pile at the bottom out of the machine.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

i have a couple of gameworks/dave and busters.

Gameworks is next to the mall and blows with little chuckleheads. Dave and busters has some sega only contract, so your missing 80% of the other cool shit. I need a real arcade!
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gameworks, Jillian's, Dave&Busters all suck, I hate those cards you have to use... the only decent arcades around here are actually in bowling alleys, though there is actually a Chi-Chi's near me that has a lot of classic games and they're still just a quarter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Cactus Jack's is 10 minutes from my house. The front 1/3 is new DDR and ticket games, the rear 1/3 is pool tables, but the middle 1/3 is basically all classic/vintage games. Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Tetris, all there.

That's the only non-mall one I personally know of around here.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Try your local laundromat.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: No arcades!

Last edited by Jive3D; 07-18-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Try your local laundromat.
    Funny thing...best arcade I've seen (never really looked for them) in terms of rather obscure/awesome action games was in the back of a laudromat in Salt Lake City, Utah (or very close by). They had a Punch Out machine, R-Type, SNK's old Search and Rescue (SAR) and some other stuff (a Hogan's Alley type shooter, for example). Fun, didn't have any quarters, but it was fun to look at 'em.

...it's halfway across the country and I don't know if the arcade in my local mall is still open, nevermind whether it has any good games.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I know I've brought it up before, but my local laundromat actually has a better selection of games then most arcades do. Metal Slug 3, Strikers 1945 II, Capcom vs. SNK, Ms Pac-Man, Cruisin' World, plus more.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Well, Circleville...the podunk town it is...has a nifty little arcade in the underground bowling alley known as Circle D...they have Simpsons bowling...a Golden Tee game (may be 2K3 or 4 don't remember...) and a 4-slot Neo Geo cab. I think they only have 2 games in it right now though...

They also have a hunting game, and an off road racing game.

And last time I went to the Pumpkin Show (3rd weekend of October every yearin Circleville) they had no less than 6 arcades setup...mostly very old arcade games (a couple Stunt Cycle machines I remember...)

and Starcade...looking for arcades in Muncie (is the Villiage Bowl still there? North of McGalliard on Wheeling IIRC...it has been 19 years They used to have a pretty decent sized arcade) I came across this article...pretty interesting read I thought. There also used to be a great arcade in the building where Big Lots is...on the corner of McGalliard and Wheeling (older building...not where the newer Marsh is.) I miss that one...

http://www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/di...7?in_archive=1[/quote]
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The building where the arcade once was where my older brother and I hung out a lot circa 1981-83 is now vacant. I drive past it nearly every day. I'm telling ya, my skull just crackles with the desire to lease that space, find enough classic machines to fill it (and I remember which ones were there!), and bring it all back the way that it was.

But alas...I can't.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Chad, I think the only place around here would be the Dave and Busters in Providence Place Mall -- mostly newer games, but they have some older ones also, and I like it. We should go sometime.

Beyond that, what's the name of that mall just over the border in Mass on 395? Is there a arcade in there?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've thought about opening a pizzaria loaded with classic games and pinballs, which are even harder to find. Stand-alone arcades can't survive. I also wanted to have custom tables with monitors and joysticks built in so you could play games right at your table(MAME?). I know you could use cocktail tabbles but they're too short with no room for your legs. You wouldn't want to eat a sit-down dinner at one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woo, that idea kicks ass. Gotta tell us where to find this magical place when it does open, though :D

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bah! I have no arcade around in about 100 miles!
    They all closed.
    We had an awesome one(the games were good not the people....) with the newest SNK shit and classics like Final Fight,Double Dragon and Captain Commando.I remember the Samurai Shodown1 machine with it's oversized screen and seatings. Now that was great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i've only seen 4 arcades in MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!!

2 of them are included in a Theme Park though, one in the Netherlands and one in Germany

the third one was on a france<->uk (calais<->dover) fairy

the fourth one was part of a bowling-center in Peterborough (UK)

so, in fact, i've never seen a real arcade at all, that's a shame, and i also don't know a single one here in germany!!!!
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't someone post a site that locates arcades and lists the games they have? I can't seem to find it.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: No arcades!

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    I know there WAS one a few miles down rt 1 but it was closed when a semiretarded employee allegedly molested a little girl at a birthday party there last year...
    You're not talking about Archie's in Norwalk, CT are you? That would be hilarious if you were.
    No, I don't remember the name, but it was on Rt 1 in North Attleboro, MA. It closed shortly after I moved to the area and I never did go in there. Kept meaning to, but didn't. I wonder what that guy did with his cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Chad, I think the only place around here would be the Dave and Busters in Providence Place Mall -- mostly newer games, but they have some older ones also, and I like it. We should go sometime.

Beyond that, what's the name of that mall just over the border in Mass on 395? Is there a arcade in there?
    Eh, I hate going into Providence. It's a major PIA. I don't know of any malls along 395 but there is the Emerald Square Mall right off of 295, if that's the one you mean. No arcade in there.

There really aren't much for laundromats around here, but there is a big bowling alley on rt 1 in North Attleboro by the Stop and Shop where Jolly Cholly's used to be (I think that's what used to be there). I'll have to take a look in there. The total lack of arcade machines in places like pizza parlors around here has me thinking maybe it would be profitable to buy some cabs and place them.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.