Thread: Todays purchases + help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Todays purchases + help

Today I got a Game Gear and some stuff for it for $25. Came with:

-Game Gear system (bubbled plastic screen version)
    -AC Adaptor
    -Game Genie
    -Games (carts only): Jurassic Park, Shinobi 2, Pac-Man, Sonic 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Chaos

I would have preferred the glass screened one, but I didn't have a Game Gear at all before this. Didn't seem like too bad of a deal. The screen has a few light scratches, nothing annoying though, unlike most used GG's I see where the screen looks like it was scrubbed with a brillo pad. I do have one question...how do I remove the screen? I don't want to replace it, but there is dandruff or dust or something underneaath the plastic bubble screen. Don't know how it got in there, but it is (and I'd like to remove the screen, blow the crap out, and put the screen back on. Other things: Speaker works, no burnt out pixels. Does the GG have a blur effect with the picture? It seems like (text especially) that on say, a white screen with the level listed, it seems to smear the letters vertically. The backlight covers the whole screen, but I swear it doesn't look perfect. I think it's too bright, and makes the screen look washed out. I don't see how the screen can be that crisp and clear, because looking washed out makes it look sorta blurry (not sharp). Opinions aside, how do I open up this thing so I can clean out the particles in between the screen.

Also, used I picked up for $5 (!) at GameStop, what is a PS One Battery Pack. The GameStop price/item number sticker lists (Innovation-Used), but the thing itself doesn't have any brand name listed on it, nor item numbers. It is light gray, has 'grilled' sides and the PS One snaps on top. aThe back has an output cord to go to the PS One, and there's also an input jack. The front has (from left to right) a LOW light, FULL light, and a POWER light and switch. Any clue as to what this is, other than the obvious? I'm assuming you plug the PS One AC Adaptor into the Input on the back to charge the thing. How long does this thing take to charge, and how many hours should it work for? I really need to know how long proper charging time is on this thing. Either way, I was very shocked to find this $5, let alone find it AT ALL. How much does this generally sell for? I wanted one of these, so this is quite pleasant.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

There were glass screened Game Gears????

Anyway, I just opened my Game Gear up completely and went that route. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but I'm an idiot. I see replacement screens on E-bay once in a while, so there must be a way...I'm sure someone will know.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use a small small flathead screwdriver and insert it in the corner of the screen.
    Then pry up slowly. It will come up just use constant slow pressure.
    Most of the time you can just pry up a small portion and blow it out and then it will be sticky enough to go back down and stay down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bump for info...

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the PSONE battery is 2-3 hours to charge and 2-2 1/2 hours powering a PS1 and a screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On the topic of a Game Gear with a glass screen:

http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/GGEAR.html

Check out that crazy 90s ad at the bottom of the page, too. Oh how I miss such ads (oh wait, they're just beverage ads now :/)