Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the poor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Tips for the poor

Looking at "Rooms of Doom" and other outrageous video game collections, I can't help but feel incomparably small. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only small fry?

Anyways, the quality that I think sets one "Room of Doom" apart from the rest is not the sheer abundance of games: I don't need more games than I'll ever be able to play, most of which aren't even worth playing. Rather, what I really admire about the good "Rooms of Doom" is tasteful use of video game decor! I sit back in amazement, wondering what it would be like to play my favorite games in a room filled with unique treasures such as display posters, neon Nintendo logos, and other one-of-a-kinds--all while sitting in a Pac Man banana chair! It's pure heaven!

Anyways, seeing as most of those unique items aren't available at retail stores, how do you come across them?

If your answer to that quesiton is something along the lines of: Well, every year I attend such-and-such annual video game convention, and I'll occasionally pick up a few rarities... STOP right now. I can't do that! I was hoping if anyone would be able to provide a few "tips for the poor". For example, does anyone have a systematic way of obtaining those awesome display items that you KNOW the store is going to throw away at the end of the month? I've tried asking, but most employees' logic is clouded by fear of breaking rules. If I show up on the last day of the month, will things be different? Are some particular stores better than others at giving away free stuff? Any tips at all? If need be, I'm willing to scrounge through the back dumpster!

Hopefully, this will spark some good discussion; there are so many freebies right under our noses!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

For store displays, be nice to the manager I guess. Buy a GMR card or something (Good deal anyways, 10% off used games... more games that way ) And if they 100% cannot give them to you, maybe you can ask them to not throw them in the trash, but leave them next to the dumpster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I recently got a bunch of Nintendo signs from a Kmart that was selling all of its fixtures (It's gone now ). I went into the place where the electronics were, and found them scattered everywhere. The people that were selling everything just let me take them.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has nothing to do with displays but if you want to increase the size of yuor collection you could try selling things on ebay. I sell videos, video games and some DVDs that are out of print. You can pick up a video at thrift stores for a buck and at pawns for $5. There are some that can collect a decent price. If I didn't need to use the money for other bills I would have a room of doom that would rival some of the pictures on this site. As it stands I have a bookshelf of doom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    I recently got a bunch of Nintendo signs from a Kmart that was selling all of its fixtures (It's gone now ). I went into the place where the electronics were, and found them scattered everywhere. The people that were selling everything just let me take them.
    Sweet! You're making me jealous.

But, the local K-Mart doesn't go out-of-business every day, y'know! Surely, there's someone who has this process down to a 'T'--perhaps an employee at a retail store? I venture out as often as I can, but I've yet to have a breakthrough...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Oh, and I forgot: Don't feel bad about having a small collection-mine is only 3 bookshelfs (Not including console space). Check the VIntage games part of eBay often-I once got a CD-i with 35 games for $35 BIN. It's all about timing (And having $). Check any and all thrift stores. Although not all have something, you'lll find something in due time.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Yeah, I don't have much to show either (aside from the box for my tabletop Coleco DK Jr.), but you can try to decorate with some posters, either from recent magazines (Play recently had a different Baldur's Gate art card for a few months) or older ones (go to thrift shops/used bookstores and look at old videogame mags. Some of them may be complete with a poster.).

The only other collectibles I have is the Jet Set Radio Future music sampler, a set of JSRF mini buttons (pretty cool!) and sew-on patch, and a set of GTA: Vice City magnets.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My collection is kinda big, but scattered about where I keep most my games (NES games I play in the game case w/ deck, DC, PSX games in a cd case near my tv, N64 and SNES games I play in a cart case or boxes). My main collections are on a bookshelf though.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you try to do is go to a game store, or somewhere else that sells games and has signs to promote them, and become friends with some of the guys. Just buy something every once in a while, and make friendly chat with them, then after a few times ask if they have any crap they dont want. Most likely the guy will think, "Hey this guy is my friend, and friends help each other out."
    Just try to sucker some saps, and 9 time out of 10 youll walk away a winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did you see the recent thread about dumpster diving?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well at my local Ebgames the employees always get first call on stuff like that.You can look behind some signs and see their names on it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon Fight
    What you try to do is go to a game store, or somewhere else that sells games and has signs to promote them, and become friends with some of the guys. Just buy something every once in a while, and make friendly chat with them, then after a few times ask if they have any crap they dont want. Most likely the guy will think, "Hey this guy is my friend, and friends help each other out."
    Just try to sucker some saps, and 9 time out of 10 youll walk away a winner.
    It sounds simple enough. I'll try my best, but it does seem a little slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Did you see the recent thread about dumpster diving?
    Not yet. I'll check it right now; it sounds interesting.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Too bad I can't update my pics in the Room Of Doom..
    Man have I added a lot of stuff since then,,sheeesh..
    Those empty wall spaces seen in my old Room Of Doom pics are no longer empty..lol..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of it is getting lucky at flea markets and yard sales.

Hit them up when you can, and bring cash.

Learn the art of negotiating, and don't be afraid to either!

I've brought a box of intellivision games from their original price of $72 to $15!
    This weekend I just brought a box of peripheral goodies from $10 to $3!

Some people will haggle, others won't....it just depends on how good and stubborn you can be.

Since I've started this, I have amassed a good 20% of my collection in the matter of two months.

Oh...and stay the hell away from my stake-outs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko

I've brought a box of intellivision games from their original price of $72 to $15!

Some people will haggle, others won't....it just depends on how good and stubborn you can be.

Since I've started this, I have amassed a good 20% of my collection in the matter of two months.

What??? Flea market vendors never have display stuff! Well, at least in my experience they don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My tip would be don't leave junk out in the open. Recently, matters concerning cheap Genesis and SNES titles came to a head when I bought a lot of (badly needed and greatly appreciated) various stuff from members off this board. I say this:

Buy lots instead of single games, especially when you have to pay for shipping! You may get some junk in there, but you can always sell the worst off.

Hang around these boards! Some people here have promotional stuff to get rid of at times, and I myself just amassed a small collection of Capcom freebies for the cost of shipping & handling. Though I'm quite sure the amount of items that have shown up within the past two weeks is a fluke, I would never have gotten the items I did without being here.

Look into Japanese items! You'd be amazed how easy it is to find many of the legendary Nintendo titles, but beyond that you can easily pick up strategy guides and other items, that (for the most part, with the possible exception of certain Nintendo titles, actually LOOK GOOD as opposed to many of ours). Just use a service like celga.com; and remember: animation cels are usually good for the collection too :D

Beyond that, though, getting a great collection may require being a nice guy and paying just a bit more than what somebody's asking for, or finding the place with the highest price (for all their slowness I still say gamechoice.com.hk is honest and sells items of the best quality).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    Quote Originally Posted by sisko

What??? Flea market vendors never have display stuff! Well, at least in my experience they don't.
    I do find display stuff at my local flea market..."but" the vendors want way to much money for this stuff,..They are ridiculous,they can stick it..

A few months ago I met some people at the flea market..A very nice couple.
    They had some boxed GBA games for a dollar..I grabbed them..As I walked away the lady noticed the Xbox shirt I was wearing and asked..I'd like to show you this stuff I have in a box.
    She says it says Xbox on the box but I don't know what's inside.
    I open up this big box and it's filled with Xbox store displays..Nothing is touched..(I play stupid)
    There are tubes with Xbox window signs,boxes of these suction cup Xbox signs,A big roll of long magnetic signs..These magnets are huge..
    I stuck one on the door of my wifes car and it was as long as her door.
    (Someone who works in an Video Game store will know what I'm talking about)
    I play stupid again and offer her$10.00 for the box,,She says thats too much and haggles"me" down to give her $8.00 x_x

After I buy the box she says her son works at a video game store and brings boxes of stuff home all the time..

She makes an agreement with me,to bring me something every week..
    I never see her again..She never came back to sell at the Flea market.

Hopefully I'll run into her again someday..and she'll have some more stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    Those empty wall spaces seen in my old Room Of Doom pics are no longer empty..lol..
    Sure you can! Just email Joe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

She makes an agreement with me,to bring me something every week..
    I never see her again..She never came back to sell at the Flea market.

Hopefully I'll run into her again someday..and she'll have some more stuff.
    Or maybe her son tore into her for selling off his stuff for nothing o-O

Great find though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    Sure you can! Just email Joe
    Thank You so much,punkoffgirl.....