Thread: How do I open a PS1 LCD screen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do I open a PS1 LCD screen

Title says it all. I can remove the 3 screws in the base unit, but seperating the 2 halves of the base doesn't really help. Any tips on seperating the screen halves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOO...........

It is possible. It's really hard to get it back together again, with the spring loaded hinge set up properly again. You have to pry the plastic apart once all the screws are out (i remember 4 though... ). It's not for the faint of heart. It better be real broken first, as I consider the risk of damaging the hinges pretty high.

I have not successfully repaired a real SONY one (it had a dim dim DIM screen, and I couldn't source the fault within my skillset), but I have repaired the crappy interact one, which simply had a bad power pass thru connection.

In short, if it's yours, go nuts, it's busted! If it's someone elses.... ummm.. I'm sending good thoughts...how's that?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... I did manage to get it apart. There are 2 rubber bumpstops toward the upper left and right of the screen. I extracted them & discovered 2 screws (making 3 in all). Then, viciousness was employed to seperate the halves.

The hinges don't seem that tough to put back together, but who knows. I spent 8 hours changing a clutch master and slave cylinder last weekend, so tough is a relative term.

I did discover 2 blown SMD fuses (for posterity, both are Littelfuse, Inc. P/N 04340025 - FUSE 2.00A 32V CODE N FAST 0603). They're $.85 a piece, so hopefully they'll fix the little bugger. Between those two blown fuses, and the 3 or so in my PS1, I wonder what catastrophic event caused all this fuse-blowing mayhem.

I tried bypassing the fuses, and I saw some activity on the LCD, but nothing conclusive. I was using an NES as a video source, so who knows.