Thread: Overpriced Game Store, Stupid Employee, Free Game!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Overpriced Game Store, Stupid Employee, Free Game!

Here in Atlanta we have a road with FOUR gamestores on it within a 10 mile radius... two EBgames, a GameStop, and a privately-owned store.

I hit the three chain stores once in a while for PSX games and to dig through their Genny and SNES games (nothing good except for a complete Genny Scooby Doo for $12 a while back)

The privately-owned game store is the most interesting of the three, but it is also the most expensive. They carry everything from 2600 on up, plus they have plenty of imports and weird stuff. Too bad they charge $25 and $30 for common PSX, DC, and N64 games, plus $10 EACH for loose Genny and SNES games (but you get a third free if you buy two.)

Anyway, price is not the point... the rude and stupid employees are. They never acknowledge you're in the store and they are always crowded around whatever game system is plugged up to the TV, playing a game. Their buy-back prices stink, and they are just slack in general.

TO THE POINT... I dropped by and found a boxed T-Mek game for the 32x in the Genny section. This is a fairly hard game to get, and I can sell it or trade it. I also found Silent Bomber for the PSX (AWESOME GAME) and Fantastic Four for the PSX (SHIT GAME) plus Battle Monsters for the Saturn (ANOTHER SHIT GAME)

I bring all four games to the counter... the lump behind the counter grudgingly goes looking for the 3 CD games and leaves the 32x game on the counter. He charges me for the games, puts everything in the bag, and I leave. Driving home, I look at the receipt and see that he forgot to charge me for T-Mek.

Free game!

I know this is a stupid and rambling post, but stupid-rambling is my middle name.

By the way... the people who work at the chain stores are always VERY friendly and helpful. The EBgames at the mall sucks, but the ones in suburbia are great (probably because they don't have to deal will mall a-holes)
    The Saturn was thinking long before the Dreamcast... mine still is!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Overpriced Game Store, Stupid Employee, Free Game!

Heh, that sounds like a great deal. If only I could get free stuff at my local game stores (for crying out loud they scanned the two free Nintendo catalogs I picked up and they showed up on the reciept, though for $0.00 o_O)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One guy that worked at a indy store gave me an Atari 2600 JR and three shopping bags full of boxes and manuals from various systems. It was stuff he was cleaning out at home and he knew I collected.

At another store the clerk gave me a nice mint boxed 32X and Sega CD model 2 for free.

Befriending the clerks can pay off.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to work at an EB. when the manager cleaned out the back I got a Game Gear & a Genesis II for free!

Super Score!
    I really miss working there sometimes.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for Gamestop, watch the differences, the stand alone store in the shopping plaza are mostly ex-Funcoland. I generally avoid Gamestop in the mall, bunch of shameless bastards (you guessed it, selling used games as new games) who are so full of themselves. Clientele in the mall stores tend to be mostly jerkoffs too, one reason I stopped going to Gamestop in the mall.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You wouldn't happen to be talking about Game Swap USA would ya? :-)

They have the nerve to charge $5 for combat. I fullheartedly agree about the customer service (or lack there of).

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default Re: Overpriced Game Store, Stupid Employee, Free Game!

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnRox
    Here in Atlanta we have a road with FOUR gamestores on it within a 10 mile radius... two EBgames, a GameStop, and a privately-owned store.
    Whereabouts exactly are these places located?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mospeda
    You wouldn't happen to be talking about Game Swap USA would ya? :-)

They have the nerve to charge $5 for combat. I fullheartedly agree about the customer service (or lack there of).
    Ding Ding Ding! I would indeed be talking about Game Swap USA, aka "We have cool games and we're going to reem you for them, especially when you want to trade"

I found a complete USA version of Dragonball Z: Final Bout GT at an EB a while back, took it home, played it a few minutes, and realized that the game is indeed dreadful and not hardly worth the $24.99 I paid for it. I figured I'd sell it to Swap USA. They offered my FOUR FRICKIN FIFTY. That's $4.50 cash.

The four stores are all conveniently located on Roswell Road near the 285 junction. The Gamestop is outside the perimeter in the Kroger shopping center near the Toyota dealership. The Swap USA is located nearer to 285 in the shopping center with the Blockbuster. The 1st EBgames is almost across the street, closer to 285 on the other side of the street. The 2nd EBgames is inside the perimeter, on the left in a strip mall next to a Starbucks (both EBgames are next to Starbucks, actually.)
    The Saturn was thinking long before the Dreamcast... mine still is!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just return it to EB?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea that area on Roswell is flooded with Game shops. I'm surprised they can all operate and make profit having so many in one locale. Game Swap i can understand, because they cater to the hardcore gamer. They've scoffed at me on numerous occasions. Their pc engine section is crap.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    Why not just return it to EB?

Because a complete USA version of Dragonball Z: Final Bout GT goes for $125.00 on EBay maybe ??

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    One guy that worked at a indy store gave me an Atari 2600 JR and three shopping bags full of boxes and manuals from various systems. It was stuff he was cleaning out at home and he knew I collected.

At another store the clerk gave me a nice mint boxed 32X and Sega CD model 2 for free.

Befriending the clerks can pay off.
    Damn straight! One of my best friends just became a manager at Game Crazy, and is on the management fastrack to become the GM for their new store. Free video game crap, here I come! I already gave him a list of trade-ins to watch out for too.