Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh... the Capcom--> M$ rumor.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Uh-oh... the Capcom--> M$ rumor.

Just rumor for now, but... sad.

Capcom profit warning fuels buy-out rumours

Rob Fahey 11:17 30/09/2002
    Vultures closing in as one of Japan's finest scales back operations

New guidance for the financial year ended March 2003 has been released by Capcom, showing the company posting a loss of 12.7 billion Yen (€106m) - a massive swing from previous estimates, which had anticipated a profit of around 3.8 billion Yen (€31.7m).

The difficult financial status of the company - which is also thought to have significant debts - has caused widespread rumours that it may now be an acquisition target for more cash-rich companies seeking to expand their development base in Japan. Capcom is an attractive target, particularly for platform holders, due to its extensive range of popular franchises such as Resident Evil, Onimusha and Streetfighter.

As ever, the main predator is thought to be Microsoft - who has reportedly sent a team over to Japan for discussions with Capcom's senior management. However, Nintendo is also thought to be in the frame, with the Kyoto-based company keen to continue its newly forged development relationship with Capcom, whose Resident Evil titles have given the GameCube much-needed credibility in the adult market.

Both companies could certainly afford to bail Capcom out without being in any danger of breaking the bank - and certainly, the money Microsoft has just paid Nintendo for its stake in Rare would be considered well spent on a venture like this. Nintendo is not traditionally acquisitive, but much has changed at the company since Satoru Iwata took the reins from long-serving president Hiroshi Yamauchi earlier this year, so the possibility cannot be discounted. Microsoft, meanwhile, certainly has the resources to swallow Capcom, and the desire to break into the Japanese market in a big way; however, the company has had no success in convincing Japanese publishers to sell in the past, despite highly publicised approaches to the likes of Sega and Square.

The drastic reversal of Capcom's fortunes is thought to be mostly due to some very bad investments in the Japanese property market on the part of the company. Japan's economy is intrinsically linked to the value of property, and the downturn experienced by the country in recent years has depreciated property massively, especially in the Tokyo area.

It's probably wise to consider any rumour of a buy-out in this instance with a hefty pinch of salt. Microsoft's name is generally associated with any company that underperforms in the games industry at the moment, but in fact, the Seattle-based giant has only acquired successful companies such as Rare, sensibly leaving those in dire financial straits aside. While Capcom would certainly be an attractive prospect for MS, and it is no doubt making investigations into the possibility of a purchase, it's far too early to seriously consider the prospect of a Microsoft-owned Capcom.

Source:C&VG, Nikkei Interactive and others
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re:

No..... NO..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dave

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default good!

welll, i'd rather see capcom get acquired by a company that can afford to buy it, rather than go under like the titanic. if it *does* happen, it's not like they're gonna make capcom put bill gates as a playable character in the next street fighter or resident evil game, geez... :wink:

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont think it will happen. but if it did happen, i'd be fine playing all of capcom's great fighting games on saturn and DC.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

While I love MS as much a the next person (please note sarcasm) if it was between MS and Nintendo, I'd MUCH rather play Street Fighter on the XboX controller than the GameCube one.

In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown... (Woodstock, IL)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: good!

Quote Originally Posted by geelw
    welll, i'd rather see capcom get acquired by a company that can afford to buy it, rather than go under like the titanic. if it *does* happen, it's not like they're gonna make capcom put bill gates as a playable character in the next street fighter or resident evil game, geez... :wink:
    No, but they MIGHT make all Capcom games X-Box exclusives after the aquisition...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM2112
    No, but they MIGHT make all Capcom games X-Box exclusives after the aquisition...
    doubtful, unless they make everything in 3D to take advantage of alllllll that processing power ( )- and capcom isn't going to do THAT, now are they?...(*snicker*)...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have a link to the sight this came from?
    I'd rather be rich than stupid.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be overly upset if Nintendo acquired them. But if Resident evil goes Xbox exclusive, I'm going to HAVE to hurt someone.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default lol!

:shock: wulf, you're a nice guy and all, but you gotta stop laying the smack down on everyone. i went to get some chicken, last week, and the guy was all beat up- i asked him "what the sam hill happened to you", and he was able to blurt out (through a toothless, bloody mouth) that he thaid that capthcompth wath putthing outh a rethidenth evilth forth the gamethcubeth, andth thath allth heth rememberth beforth hith lighth goth sockth outh...

anyway, if it does happen, MOST likely, it''l be like sony's acquiring 17% of squaresoft (remember that?)- square japan makes games for nintendo, bandai, and sony and sony could care less (or at least they can't stop square from making money). capcom isn't a stupid company- they'll have to make as much money on whatever systems they can, and i'm sure microsoft isn't going to even TRY to reign them in.

imagine: bill gates on the throne at home, reading the latest issue of popular science, when cammy, a bunch of zombies, a really big robot, AND sylentwulf bust in and threaten him with head scissors and missing teeth. trust me, if i were billionaire gates, i'd be afraid...be very afraid, indeed...=^P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys forget that ole Billy boy is in the habit of buying stock in his "competitors".. Am I wrong or doesn't he have a good percentage of AOL?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Gates owns a controlling stake in Apple as well. At least that's what I've heard.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite frankly? I never want to play anything on the XBox that includes Megaman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie
    I think Gates owns a controlling stake in Apple as well. At least that's what I've heard.
    I'm pretty sure it's NOT a controlling stake, and here's why:

1) Under 50% he can't control anything, which makes the Apple folk happy (relatively speaking)

2) If he HAD a controlling stake, the allegations of monopoly would be stronger.

Let's face it, he put money into Apple to keep his only competitor alive, or he'd really been in trouble with the Justice Department.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does every one hate the X-Box? ( Or so it seems)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be nice to kick the crap out of him though...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default it's like that (what?), & that's the way it issssssss...

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Why does every one hate the X-Box? ( Or so it seems)
    i don't think people hate the xbox as much as they hate microsoft and their business practices. everyone else who hates the xbox just hasn't played games on it yet (or hasn't replaced that bulky original controller, lol)...=^P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bill Gates

I still love the Simpsons episode where Bill Gates "buys out" Homer's Internet startup by trashing his place "You didn't think I got rich by signing checks did you?" or the delightful dark fantasy of Bill Gates explaining how good Windows is and is shot in the middle of his speech in South Park The Movie (Strangely I love the movie but never cared for the South Park show, go figure)
    Visit Allretrogames.com - www.allretrogames.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Gotta love the terminology in the article. "Swallow" huh uh-huh huh....

I wonder if MS buying Capcom would make much of a difference in the Japanese market for them. Would consumers perhaps still shy away from them because they aren't Japanese? Unanswerable by me but interesting to ponder.

I think Nintendo should take a look at acquiring them. Use the money they got from the Rare sale. Keep RE Gamecube exclusive. Keep MS from getting a foot in the door in Japan. It's MS you're fighting with for market share at this point, not Sony.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    ...Keep MS from getting a foot in the door in Japan. It's MS you're fighting with for market share at this point, not Sony.
    well, considering that microsoft was behind the msx computer way back in the 80's, i'd say they have most of their body in that particular door, lol...=^P