Thread: Need help playing a ps1 import...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default Need help playing a ps1 import...

Alright, so I really need a Neo Geo MVS, but until then I'm trying to enjoy their games almost any way I can (sans emulation) without biting the bullet and plunking down the cash (that I don't have) for an MVS unit. Anyway, here's my problem...

Went by a local import shop today to check and see if they still had Cotton for NGPC, and while I was looking around I saw Metal Slug for the ps1. I asked how much it was and after calling the owner I was quoted $19.99, a price I couldn't refuse. I went to another shop to get a ps1 import boot-disc (called "Ps-x-change version 2.)"

Here's the problem: I have the little plastic piece in my ps1 but when I turn on the game and swap out the disc like normal I can't seem to get into the actual game. As soon as I swap the discs I get some kanji in a box (hell if I know what it's saying), and I can hit O to get to another little similar screen, but this one with 2 options. Picking the first option causes the game disc to keep spinning but nothing to happen (essentially freezing), and the second option just takes me back to the first screen. Is there any way to get around this? I checked about copy protection and anti-mod stuff but I can't find anything. Anyone else have this and successfully play it on their us ps1? Any help at all is appreciated, I have a world to save here!

PS: the screen I get isn't the usual "anti-mod" screen, so I'm clueless.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I run MS on my PS1 all the time. I know the screen of which your speak, and I'm pretty sure you're picking the right option when you pick the first one (you are pressing O when you select it, right?)

If I get a chance, I'll hook my PS1 up and try it out, then let you know what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Thanks! I REALLY want to play this. So much so that I looked for import ps1's on ebay (only one TRUE Japanese system, and it's in GB). I do pick the first option, but it only gives me that choice when I have no mem. card in for some reason. The first option just lets the disc spin and spin and spin, but with no results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

It could be that MS1 doesn't work with boot swaps. Vib Ribbon doesn't. You can go through the menus and all, but when you try to play the game, you just can't.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you need either an import or modded system to play it from what I remember.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'm pretty sure Achika and Azazel are right. I tried it out on my PS1, which is modded, selected the first option and the game booted right up. Unless you can locate a mod chip, you're best bet would probably be to go with a Japanese PS1.

Maybe someone here can hook you up with one. I've been wanting to get one myself for a while now, but I haven't actively pursued it.