Thread: VB video problem

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default VB video problem

Okay, I got a VB in the mail today. It has video artifacting, though... In some screens (not all) there's extra crap in the display graphics... wish I could get a screen cap. Is something like this common in the VB? I fear that the stereoscopic display is complex enough that this unit is probably just toast.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I had a similar problem with the original headset I got on my VB display unit before I put a new headset on it.
    I had a lot of extra display graphics when I started up a game in it..Oh man,it really stunk.

I determined it was caused by either two things..

1 overusage,because the unit sat "on" in stores hour after hour..

2 Dirty connections..Sort of like what happens with a Nintendo with the carts are dirty or NES itself.
    I would suggest trying to clean the connectors on the cart & headset.

This suggestion being somewhat virtually impossible...
    You'd have to open up the Head unit...+ I believe the connectors in the headset are pins that can't be touched or they might bend out of place..
    I'm not sure if you can even get near the pins..they may be enclosed.

The carts you can get a toothbrush in somewhat.

I haven't bought the security tools to open this type of stuff yet..(I really Need to)

Here's what I would suggest..
    Leave the unit on with game in it for awhile..turn the system on and off "quick"and see if the extra display graphics go away..
    If this occurs then I thinks it's an overusage issue and may be toast..but still playable somewhat..
    Also try another Power Supply..

Another thing to try is the cleaning method..try to blow out the carts with compressed air..or try just blowing them out.
    Try to blow compressed air in the unit where the carts go..

Push the cart in and out of the unit a bunch of times and see if you get any changes in the display graphics..If you notice it getting better then dirty connectors is the issue.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. So it's pretty much what I figured, then. Either dirty contacts or a VB for parts...
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

If you end up needing another head unit, I have one that displays everything fine, but the case itself has some scratches (So I'd let it go for shipping). I'd imagine that you could switch the cases, or sand mine down, if needed.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, though I don't need another VB. This one is actually my third... I got it in a package that I bought for the games that came with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a very common problem with VB's... the cause is the connection of the cable on the back of the LED board. There's no connector, it's just kinda stuck on there, and that comes loose after use (and abuse). Heh... I'm a poet and didn't know it :P .

What I've found to fix it is to get the system to show the problem (it only does it on certain shades of red because of the way the displays work), then kinda move the cable a little until it stops, then take a piece of electrical tape and tape it so it doesn't move. I've fixed a few of my displays this way with no probs, otherwise, just use it for parts (which I've also done too ).

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    That's a very common problem with VB's... the cause is the connection of the cable on the back of the LED board. There's no connector, it's just kinda stuck on there, and that comes loose after use (and abuse). Heh... I'm a poet and didn't know it :P .

What I've found to fix it is to get the system to show the problem (it only does it on certain shades of red because of the way the displays work), then kinda move the cable a little until it stops, then take a piece of electrical tape and tape it so it doesn't move. I've fixed a few of my displays this way with no probs, otherwise, just use it for parts (which I've also done too ).

DogP
    Dude, SWEET info. I'll give that a shot when I have the chance. Thanks!