Thread: Neo Geo Fighting Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo Fighting Games

There are so many different series of fighting games for the system. It's hard to choose just one! King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury and many others. Which ones would you recommend for the Neo Geo AES system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

SAMURAI. SHODOWN. ROCKS.

The games I find myself playing the most are SS2 and SS4.

King of Fighters is also good. I think the best in the series are 98 and 99.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Art of Fighting is a greatly underappreciated series. It's also difficult as hell. However it's one of my favorites.

Fatal Fury is also excellent, although probably hits it's stride in Fatal Fury Special.

you can't really go wrong with KoF, however the '95 iteration is cheap as hell CPU wise. I prefer '97 out of all of them but most will say '98 or 2000 if you like the striker system.

don't forget the Power Instinct series, which spawned such wacky fun fighters as Waku Waku 7 and Matrimelee (which I sorely need to get)

In short, if you like 2D fighters, get some sort of Neo setup. You won't regret it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Samurai Shodown owns it. Having played I-III and part V, I must say that it's a consistantly good series.

I've just recently began getting into King of the Fighters heavily, and I'm digging 97, 98 and 2000. SNK made a bold move to the gameplay by adding Strikers from 99-01, but I commend those crazy bastards for shaking the series up. Here's hoping for another shake up sometime soon (mmmm...tag team).

I have a love/hate conflict with the Fatal Fury series. Good gameplay, but sometimes the line shifting drives me nuts. I REALLY need to get FF Special, which pretty much couldve bought and sold my ass in the 90s.

Gotta love SNK. They pumped out a ton of fighters, but you can't accuse the different series of being the same ol, same ol
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ragnagard and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer are tops.

Seriously, Samurai Shodown 2 is excellent, and it's among the few great Neo fighters that don't cost an arm and a leg on the AES.

I'd also recommend Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade 2, Waku Waku 7, and any King of Fighters after '97. However, all of those can get pretty expensive as far as the AES goes. They're much cheaper on MVS.

Adam, is Waku Waku 7 really part of the Power Instinct line? I thought it was in a series of its own, with Galaxy Fight and Astra Super Stars.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

My top picks for a neo geo game...
    Fatal Fury Special
    Samurai Shodown II and V
    King of Fighters 98
    Power Instinct Matrimelee
    Art of Fighting 3
    Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
    King of Fighters 2k1
    Galaxy Fight

Waku Waku is NOT a Power Instinct game. matrimelee is the only one in that series on the neo.

I also suggest Last Blade 2 and mark of the wolves, but they are REAL expensive. The games at this list will run you 300 tops, for SSV (which will see home release december). SSV I think may just be as good as II...Mina, my biggest concern, isn't even that good anymore. It's all come down to enlightenment mode, which will ultimately decide how good this game ends up being.

I say 2k1 over 2k2 simply because I like how they did the strikers in it, and the lineup is good. Foxy, Iori, Heidern, and Lin may be a bit hard to fight against, but its still an awesome game-damn near a year of constant play at FNG has proved this game is good.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All Samurai Shodowns are good, although I really like the style of 4. 2 is still one of the best videogames ever.

Last Blade series tops as well, although I'd play SS to LB any day of the week.

KoF, I can't really get into as much, I like '96 and '98 the best.

The best of the Fatal Fury games is Real Bout 2. Very fast and combo friendly game, lots of fun.

A very underrated fighter on the Neo is Ninja Masters. Sure it kinda has some cheesy dial-a-combos, but the overall design and artwork of this game is just awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

See, I didn't like the combo engine in 4 at all. I think thats the problem most people had with it...although I do know a few people who think it was sweet, its really one of those games you like, or you really hate.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    All Samurai Shodowns are good, although I really like the style of 4. 2 is still one of the best videogames ever.

Last Blade series tops as well, although I'd play SS to LB any day of the week.

KoF, I can't really get into as much, I like '96 and '98 the best.

The best of the Fatal Fury games is Real Bout 2. Very fast and combo friendly game, lots of fun.

A very underrated fighter on the Neo is Ninja Masters. Sure it kinda has some cheesy dial-a-combos, but the overall design and artwork of this game is just awesome.
    Ninja Masters, huh? Or should we say, "Ninja Master's?"

I'm a freak over weapon-based fighters. I love SS, LB, Soul Calibur (even though SC isn't on the NG! :P ) and I'm glad to hear that Butta enjoys Ninja Master's [sic]. That is a real cool game. My favorite character is Goemon. He gets points for using a crude, huge-ass rifle as his weapon.

Last Blade is the shizzle, especially LB2. I'll kick your ass across Nippon with Setsuna.

SS2 is definitely my favorite fighter on the NG. Genjuro, Earthquake, and Hanzo all rock and rule, and I'm not bad with them either!

99 is underrated as far as KoF goes. I think it has the greatest graphics and music in the series. K' kicks ass. Nuff said. \^_^/

RB2 is cool, huh? It's like RB Special, but on steroids. Mark of the Wolves is probably my favorite out of all FF games, but RB2 is my second favorite. It's just one of those series that got better with each new installment. A direct sequel to MOTW would be so cool...

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Adam, is Waku Waku 7 really part of the Power Instinct line? I thought it was in a series of its own, with Galaxy Fight and Astra Super Stars.
    I couldv'e sworn that WW7 was part of the Power Instinct line. Welp, time for some research!

My mistake: Waku Waku 7 is in fact it's own title and part of a separate series. Matrimelee is in fact Power Instinct 4 of sorts.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts on Neo Geo's Double Dragon? I own that and Art of Fighting in MVS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

The Neo's old Double Dragon fighter, eeeeehhhh. It wasn't as bad as say, Fatal Fury 1, but its definitely not a memorable title.

Mark of the Wolves rocks. I always wanted to get into the game more, but its a rough game to just jump into, since to do anything really damaging, you need to figure out the timing to "break" your moves, which isn't easy with alot of people. Cool game though-Grant is the shit.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I wasn't that impressed with DD on the NG. DDV on the SNES wasn't too hot either... DD should have stayed a beat-em-up, but then again, I haven't yet playede Rage of the Dragons. What's everyone's opinion on ROTD?

MOTW is teh rool, huh? I will TOAST YOUR ASS as Terry, Rock, Gato, or Freeman. Grant is a real bastard as a CPU opponent, and he's damned cool. Of course, Kain is an excellent final boss; one of the most memorable on the NG. I find myself playing MOTW a hell of a lot lately. It really is that great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

MOTW on dreamcast is far more easily obtained, as is Last Blade. If you're looking for either, going the DC route isn't a bad idea.

Rage of the Dragon's wasn't too bad. The combo engine was a bit loose, but the tagging was done interestingly. Given a choice though, I'd rather play Matrimelee.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    MOTW on dreamcast is far more easily obtained, as is Last Blade. If you're looking for either, going the DC route isn't a bad idea.

Rage of the Dragon's wasn't too bad. The combo engine was a bit loose, but the tagging was done interestingly. Given a choice though, I'd rather play Matrimelee.
    Matrimelee... damn, I really need to play that game. I'm quite familiar with Power Instinct, having played the first two games. I's also like to play Power Instinct 3: Groove On Fight. I would like to play Matrimelee just to listen to the fantabulous music. I've heard some samples, and IT ROCKS!!! Especially the forest stage- too cool. \^_^/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think that's the reason I got my Neo Geo cab so cheaply. The cabinet had three problems. #1, the right hand side controls didn't work. #2, the sound was all garbled, and #3, it was Double Dragon.

I just popped off the control panel 10 mins ago and found the common ground running to the right hand side is broken off. 1 drop of solder, fixed. Also, when I got it I unplugged/replugged the MVS cart to see how that worked. Voila, sound fixed.

I've ordered some other MVS carts off of eBay, so that takes care of number three! I'd still like to get a Puzzle Bobble and one of the Metal Slug games, but fighters are always cool to have too.