Thread: Super Baka Technique...real or fake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Baka Technique...real or fake?

i haven't seen any posts regarding this...if it's been posted already lock it and point me to the thread.

personally i think it is real, i've been able to wall jump, but not with %100 success rate like this guy. I figure alot of you have seen this before but here's the link...this isn't necessarily new stuff but:

http://www.geocities.com/vectorburg/ goto->files section and get it (file is less than 1/2 meg)

NOTE: you have to play S_mario.nes with s_mario1.fmv and vice versa.

one is the super baka technique where he exploits every glitch in the game and the other is a speed run. also there is a SMB3 speed run where he completes every single stage in the game in like 45 minutes)

i'm looking for more stuff like this if anyone knows about it...i know there are some street fighter videos circulating where peeps do insane combos if you could point me to them.

i got envious and started one for castlevania nes...goal is to beat the game without a SCRATCH...i'm on level 5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Super Baka Technique...real or fake?

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel

i'm looking for more stuff like this if anyone knows about it...
    Somewhere from Japan. It's a video someone going through all the levels in mario 1. 19'27 total but you can speed it up if you like. HE doesn't even slow down to get one mushroom through the entire way. x_x

http://users.pandora.be/Luprano/SMB1.rar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Mushroom Kingdom has numerous NSMs of bugs in old Mario games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ..

While this kind of proficiency at Mario 1 is something most would be proud of, it seems to me that this level of perfection means the player has spent an extremely unhealthy amount of time working at this, or is a savant .. which tells me the individual in question probably has some sort of mental disorder-- most likely autism .. people with that disorder tend to have amazing skills in one specific area, i.e. being able to repeat a song perfectly on a piano that they've just heard for the first time, or sculpt the exact same thing precisely the same way every time .. yet they are unable to perform other tasks, such as speaking, conversing normally, they have learning disabilities .. etc.

Just a possibility. But if you have to have a disorder to get that good at Mario, I'm happy with my current performance.
    - Epicenter

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Re: ..

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    or is a savant .. which tells me the individual in question probably has some sort of mental disorder-- most likely autism
    There just happen to be some guys in Japan who are really good. Never heard of the videos of guys finishing Gradius, Radiant Silvergun and even Ikaruga on one life?

Now to question the whole collective of Japan as retarded, well, that's something I'll consider..

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Holy carp. I just watched him burn through the ENTIRE game without letting off of the Dpad to make any jumps, or to dodge any enemies. UNREAL!

And no power ups? WTF!!!1
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I find it actually easier to get through SMB as small Mario.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They probably spend absurd amounts of time perfecting these runs through games .. to the point where it's obsessive and resembles the actions of someone with a mental disorder. I wouldn't be too proud of an accomplishment like this if I had to go to insane lengths to get it .. I would be if I could do it without excessive effort. My friend is quite a master at SMB1, and was able to beat the game (with warp zones) in under 5 minutes (I timed him). I'm sure he could go faster, but it was 2 AM and he was kind of tired. And he doesn't 'practice' at it, he just plays when he feels like it and has had the game since he was little. If you ask me, an ability like that is more valuable if you DON'T have to take yourself to extreme lengths to get it.

As for the small mario thing. The game seems to have been designed to run through small, being big is just a bonus. ;D Every stage is infinitely easier as small mario, so long as you are going at full speed whenever possible.
    - Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They probably spend absurd amounts of time perfecting these runs through games .. to the point where it's obsessive and resembles the actions of someone with a mental disorder. I wouldn't be too proud of an accomplishment like this if I had to go to insane lengths to get it .. I would be if I could do it without excessive effort. My friend is quite a master at SMB1, and was able to beat the game (with warp zones) in under 5 minutes (I timed him). I'm sure he could go faster, but it was 2 AM and he was kind of tired. And he doesn't 'practice' at it, he just plays when he feels like it and has had the game since he was little. If you ask me, an ability like that is more valuable if you DON'T have to take yourself to extreme lengths to get it.

As for the small mario thing. The game seems to have been designed to run through small, being big is just a bonus. ;D Every stage is infinitely easier as small mario, so long as you are going at full speed whenever possible.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have you ever heard of the game Marathon? Some of the game's best players were out of Japan, and they'd figured out some wicked physics tricks using the game's grenade launcher. I would just say these are really dedicated fans...idiot savant is a pretty harsh term to throw about :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have you ever heard of the game Marathon? Some of the game's best players were out of Japan, and they'd figured out some wicked physics tricks using the game's grenade launcher. I would just say these are really dedicated fans...idiot savant is a pretty harsh term to throw about :D