Thread: Genisis ver. 2, 32X, and sega CD questions

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genisis ver. 2, 32X, and sega CD questions

I just bought the following genisis ver. 2, 32x, and Sega CD ver. 2. The question I have is what kind of AC adapter is needed and what kind of A/v outlet cord is needed as nothing came with it in this department, also do you need all of them to be plugged in at the same time as well? I do have a Genisis version 1 but the cords are not the same. Can anyone direct me to where I can pick these up or if anyone has some extras that they are willing to part with?

Thanks!
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will need 3 (yes! one for each) power supply to give life to this frakenstein monster.

Also the funky A/V cable for the 32X. The Genny 2 and Sega CD used standart A/V video cable IIRC.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats what i thought, Frankenstien's monster indeed.

Can these A/V cords be bought at Radio Shack?

Phillip K. Dick

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a Laseractive and sega module. It can be had for under $100 (not muc more than you likely paid for that setup) and only uses one small power cord for everything. This doesn't even take into account the other unique capabilities of the unit.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I paid a little under $40 for the set up. Now I just need the cords.

I do not know anything about this laseractive thingy is it like the JVC system? Also I just want to get this thing running as soon and as cheaply as possible.

Phillip K. Dick

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Listwan
    I do not know anything about this laseractive thingy is it like the JVC system? Also I just want to get this thing running as soon and as cheaply as possible.
    No no no no no...

The LaserActive is one of the coolest pieces of gaming hardware ever produced. AFAIK it's the only commercial system that plays games from more than one company's console (it can play TG and Genesis games) AND is a laserdisc player of high quality. On top of that it has its own set of laserdisc games that are exclusive to it. Do a quick search and you'll find the info on it.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Get a Laseractive and sega module. It can be had for under $100 (not muc more than you likely paid for that setup) and only uses one small power cord for everything. This doesn't even take into account the other unique capabilities of the unit.
    If you can find me a Laseractive+Sega module for $100, I'll pay you a $20 bounty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genisis ver. 2, 32X, and sega CD questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Listwan
    I just bought the following genisis ver. 2, 32x, and Sega CD ver. 2. The question I have is what kind of AC adapter is needed
    Official adapters:

Power:
    Genesis 2 and 32x: Sega MK-2103 (10V @ .85A)
    Sega CD: Sega MK-1602 (9V @ 1.2A)

E.B. Funcostop usually has one or two of these. Give 'em all a call.

A/V:

Genesis 2 to 32X: Custom Mini-Din cable, should have came with 32X. If not, maybe someone has a used one they can sell you.

32X (or Genesis 2) to TV: Mini-DIN cable unique to Genesis 2/3/CDX (looks like Saturn cable but is no relation). 99% of the cables out there are mono. <blatent plug>If you want a stereo cable, I have some on order and can sell you one for $5 when they arrive.</plug>

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    If you can find me a Laseractive+Sega module for $100, I'll pay you a $20 bounty.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3317

That's actually higher than they go a lot of times. It's not uncommon to see them end at around $75. The key is knowing what to search for. Don't search for Laseractive, search for CLD-A100 and you'll find that the auctions that don't use the word Laseractive sell for a LOT less.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that bites! I just spent 200 for mine, though mine did come with a lot of extras, including box and many laserdisc movies, and even laserdisc games. Okay, so I guess my deal wasnt so bad. But Laseractives can't play 32x games. I dont even know how you'd put a 32x in.
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Don't search for Laseractive, search for CLD-A100 and you'll find that the auctions that don't use the word Laseractive sell for a LOT less.
    Yeah, I usually do that. I just haven't been looking hard enough I guess. Time to release the bots!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep a fairly close eye on ebay in the laseractive items. It's not so uncommon for a CLD-A100 (no mention of Laseractive) to end at around $75 with the sega module. The bigger problem is getting one of those units shipped but not beaten around. They're sensitive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default nO nEed for all that stuff!

Your frankenstein doesnīt need all that stuff to run nice. First of all the connecting cable between sega gen2 and 32x can easily be made out of solid core wire thin enough to be plugged one on one from gen2 to 32x.
    by doing this a power supply for the 32 x isnīt necessary since both mini dins
    have a 5v slot which will give enough energy for it to run ok, the only side effect for this is that the power supply for your gen2 will get warmer than usual. i have played DOOM for 4-5 hours and it worked fine. for the final frankenstein - TV connection try to find a mini din a/v cable for hitachi or
    toshiba video cameras (US $2.50) which wil fit on the 32x mini din slot and connect only the video cable to the tv set, audio connection will come from the cd2 audio out and hooked to the tv with standard stereo cables. cheap enough isnīt it! i share your thoughts on saving, that way you can spend on some cd's to run on your monster, happy gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome contribution Siamese!

Welcome!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had my 32x set up with the solid core wires like siamese describes above. But I found they kept falling out when shelfing the unit and stuff. But I found the mini-din they use online for a fair price $2.22 each -just get some wires...- but shipping and handling will bite you... but you might find some other stuff you might like for hacking projects too

Any way, here's a digi-key link to the part:
    CP-2090-ND
    Can't link to it directly, it seems, you'll need to cut and paste in the top right corner :/

Digikey.com

Just warm up your solders for some great 32x action

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another awesome contribution! thanks ste!!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!