Thread: TRS-80 (CoCo 2) RF not working/Capacitors blown

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TRS-80 (CoCo 2) RF not working/Capacitors blown

The title pretty much says it all. Th picture started to fade in and out and then went black and the audio completely left.

Opening the unit revealed the board to be pretty much ok, but when I opened the RF box, most of the green capacitors were covered in a white powder. This unit is over 20 years old, so it must have just been waiting to happen.

I'd like to replace them if possible.. but I have no idea what the uF rating is (not printed on them), and since I can't test them... I'm asking here...

They are:
    C3, C4, C6, C8, C9, C10, C11, C12

I think C10 and C3 blew, and the other ones just got covered with the wite powder from the looks of it, but I'd like to replace them anyway.

As an aside, has anyone ever seen the schematics for getting composite out/video out from a CoCo2? I've seen a few dead links on the net but not actually schematics....

(I seem to have all the "luck" when it comes to having machines dying slow painful deaths )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TRS-80 (CoCo 2) RF not working/Capacitors blown

The title pretty much says it all. Th picture started to fade in and out and then went black and the audio completely left.

Opening the unit revealed the board to be pretty much ok, but when I opened the RF box, most of the green capacitors were covered in a white powder. This unit is over 20 years old, so it must have just been waiting to happen.

I'd like to replace them if possible.. but I have no idea what the uF rating is (not printed on them), and since I can't test them... I'm asking here...

They are:
    C3, C4, C6, C8, C9, C10, C11, C12

I think C10 and C3 blew, and the other ones just got covered with the wite powder from the looks of it, but I'd like to replace them anyway.

As an aside, has anyone ever seen the schematics for getting composite out/video out from a CoCo2? I've seen a few dead links on the net but not actually schematics....

(I seem to have all the "luck" when it comes to having machines dying slow painful deaths )