Thread: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC) First Impressions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC) First Impressions

I finaly saved up enough money for the new mario kart game. Being a big fan of the n64 version, I was a bit worried about some of the changes they had made to the series, and trned on the game with some doubts.

OK, so I am gearing up for my first race, and it begins. The controls seemed loose at first but I quickly related to them and they were fine. Using two characters at once was awkward at first, especialy switching between both characters and being able to carry two items at once. The first cup (4 tracks) was a MAJOR let down for me. The first 4 tracks were very short and unoriginal, and there were barely any opsticals to overcome.

Next came the second cup, and by this time I was used to the two character switch off thing, and this time the tracks seemed like they had a bit more depth in them, with a few more twists and turmns that sets mario kart games away from the other normal racers.

Alright so I'm finaly in the 3rd cup, and this cup really impressed me. The tracks here were well done, ESPECIALY Donkey Kongs mountain, the last track on the cup, which has to be one of the most awsome racing travks I have played in awhile.

After beating these 12 tracks I had unlocked a few new karts and an extra battle mode stage. I was left thirsty for more, what else was the possibly to do? nothing really, so I jumped online to see if there was anything new to unlock, and I read that you can unlock the *MINOR SPOILER ALERT* 4th cup which contained 4 new tracks *END OF MINOR SPOILER* After completing what I needed to do to earn this unlockable secret, I played the levels and was simply amazed! THIS is what you call mario kart! the levels were so well designed and fun to play through that I wish every track in the game played the same way. I wont spoil any of the details of these tracks but they are simply awsome and well designed.

So all in all I played for maybe an hour and a half maybe two hours, and I had already unlocked a ton of stuff, and still have a few more things I need to unlock (and still have to try out battle mode)

All in all nintensdo did a fairly good job in recreating their classic racer from the n64, with new elements in the game such as double character carts, theres alot of customization that can be had. While not as good as the n64 version, it still was better than I was expecting.

Go pick this game up if you loved Mario Kart 64.

Final First Impressions score: 85%/100

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly don't really care for it. The annoying thing is that the AI doesn't actually race you. It just constantly throws shit directly at you, making it really frustrating to get anywhere. The sound track is incredibly weak, too. But I have to give them credit for the two rider setup, and 8 system LAN capability. That's some cool stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its too bad that the broadband adapter really did not take mario kart online...now THAT would have been really cool. It seem,s as though nintendo WANTS to fail with their internet capabilities...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't think its that they want to fail...i think its that they released the Online Adapter to be part of the crowd (PS2, Xbox)...then when all the super big hype over it all was over they kinda said "meh, fuck it, I dont care"

Sorta like the kid that buys the new shoes to impress the kids that all have the same kind of shoes....but while all the other kids keep there shoes clean by investing in cleaning products, the kid that bought them to fit in doesnt care and lets them get dirty and eventually lets them go to waste faster than the other kids shoes.

Plain and simple...Nintendo wanted to fit in, they made the adapter, and said fuck it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) orangemage's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude they keep kicking my ass in 150cc WTF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I love this freakin game. Co-op mode is alot of fun, and you can have some absolutely crazy races (as always) in versus mode. I was never a big fan of battle so I can't comment on that, but overall, I'd say this is a worthy addition to the Mario Kart line. Possibly more fun then MK64, and definitely nicer then the original.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

This is a great game. My wife and I have alot of fun playing it together. Seems to be just an improved version of the 64 version but is alot of fun nonetheless. The enemies are damn fast on 150cc.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely love this game.

The two-man cart concept adds a great twist to the game and really pushes in a nice element of variety in the racers, especially combined with each character having a special weapon of their own.

Some of the design on the tracks is fantastic, and not just the more intricate track layouts, thankfully they actually recognised the value of simplicity which held up so well on the original. Baby-mario's track, one of the tracks which I'm sure many dissaprove of because of it's simple short loop design is an absolute blast in terms of it's trading a shorter circuit length to allow all drivers to be in close proximity to each other at all times - the reult, sheer carnage on the track as items litter limited surface space and weapons fly wild across the track as even those in last place get a shot at the leaders.

I love it when you're in a tight race and the track is literally alive with action - shells flying left, right and center, bananna skins and decoy boxes littering the way, forcing you to keep your driving in check, fireballs and giant shells unexpectedly rushing your way and blue shells streaking over head or rushing up behind you to knock the cocky leader down a peg or two - bloody marvelous.. and that's all before you deal with the track and what it has to throw at you.

I've got to say though, the computer may be good at handing out a tight contest on the more advanced levels but the beating you get in them is in no way unfair or unreasonable - just try mixing it up in 4 - 8 player vs. mode, trust me the arse whooping and chaos you'll get in a game versus other players will make the AI's efforts look restrained in comparison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At first, I didn't much care for the game. Loose controls and lame looking carts really turned me off.

But as I became more accustomed to the controls, figured out the art of switching, and found my best drivers and kart, I can really do some damage.

I must say I really like this game, and even better than the 64 version. Hell, It would have been awesome if they included the 64 tracks on this game as an unlockable!

What could be improved?

The battle courses leave something to be desired. Put jumping back in. And allow people to fall down on the lower track.

*MINOR SPOILERS*
    The 150CC is cheap as all hell. It took me about 12 tries to get gold on the special, and a few retries to get gold on all-cup. Right now, I'm working on getting gold in mirror star, special, and all-cup cups.
    *END MINOR SPOILERS*

Does anyone know if there are preprogrammed ghosts in the time trials like there were in MK64? I finally got Luigi Circuit under 1:30, but no ghost!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More good stuff from Nintendo imo, though I miss alot of previous elements from Mario Kart 64, I like Double Dash better, read on...

Not being able to jump doesn't affect racing much and the new better powerslide more than compensates, but....., it's sorely missed in Battle Mode, and really makes it lackluster, not to mention the Battle Mode stages are really too small for powersliding, or even attemping to evade an attack.

The Shines Battle Mode (who can hold the Shine till time runs out) is by far the best now, but not being able to jump ruins the Balloon Battle, and the Bomb-Omb Battle is just a mess, imo. Poor Balloon Battle.

I also miss not being able to drag items, but this is a minor gripe, and easily overlooked. I can get by with having to be more cunning in dodging, and deflecting, no problem with me, but it takes getting used too.

Mario Kart 64 level design, and Balloon Battle easily trump Double Dash, and were more inspiring and interesting.

So why do I like it better then!?:

Co-Op! I can't stress how fun it can be coordinating your powerslides with another player, sharing ammo, etc..., this is really a saving grace for multiplayer, and adds a whole new element to Mario Kart than ever before, and imo makes Double Dash a much more immersive experience.

The co-op is where it's at in this game, and let me tell ya, it's worth it to track down some extra friends, even if only one! It pays off in the end and makes the game much more interesting. A very new unique, and engaging experience, and at my age that's always a good thing.

Life's too short to get stuck in repetition. I'll miss you jump, and item drag, but HELLO CO-OP! Worth the trade off imo. Long live Double Dash!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

@Sisko... yeah there are staff ghosts to unlock. You'll have to do better on Luigi Circuit though, I believe you need sub 1'27" to get that one (best time I've seen so far on it is 1'22").

As for my opinion... http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?pl...me=MarioKartDD . I wanted a 9 but you can't have everything when you "work" for a site...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD*
    It only took me 2 tries to beat 150 cc on special cup, and im not looking foward to beating all cup on 150 cc. I must say though, they sure do make you work your but off just to unlock king boo and petey. Its a good thing though, because after i unlock them, i basicaly have nothing else left to do (i dont care much about karts)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

**SPOILER**

Did Anybody Unlock Toad and Toadette yet????!??
    #vbender

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yep, only took me a couple of days to unlock everything. 1337 MK player here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    pfffff it took me under 15 hours (if im not totally wrong) to unlock everything there is (ok, not the staff ghosts, not interested in those, didn't even try)
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I just unlocked everything but staff ghosts last night. Can anyone point me to a courseand timetable chart to unlock these?

I found King Boo, Mario, and the Boo Pipes to be a pretty nice combination.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler
    Bah. That wasn't there last time I looked. Thanks.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    pfffff it took me under 15 hours (if im not totally wrong) to unlock everything there is (ok, not the staff ghosts, not interested in those, didn't even try)
    Yes but that 2 days was a Wednesday and Thursday where I was at work most of the time and was only playing in the evening

I'd say 10 hours max to get all gold cups here :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

0k, w3 4r3 b07h |337 7h3n

-Jan