Thread: Anybody quit console gaming for 3DFX PC's in 1996, 1997?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody quit console gaming for 3DFX PC's in 1996, 1997?

I was a hardcore console gamer, from 1989 till late 1996. But as late 1996 and early 1997 arrived, I started to notice something going on in the PC world of gaming.

Something called a 3DFX chip. I had the game Tomb Raider on the Playstation, and I liked it a helluva lot, but a budy of mine had a tricked out PC (for that time period, anyways) with a 3DFX card in it, and I saw Tomb Raider running on his PC, and I was totally and completely blown away by it.

At the time, I was a proud owner of a Sony Playstation, and I had just recently got a Nintendo 64.

After seeing that Tomb Raider game running on his PC though, I began thinking that PC gaming was the way to go.

I still played Playstation games, and N64 games, but I slowly but surely started going to the PC side. I built a decent PC, with a 3DFX chip, and I started to get lost in games like Unreal and SIN, and the sports games running in super high resolutions on the PC.

By late 1997, I was spending probably 80 percent of my game time, playing PC games. It got to the point, where I actually got rid of my Playstation and my Nintendo 64, to help finance the building of a new faster PC with a better 3DFX card.

I basically disapeared from console gaming, until the Dreamcast first was released. Up until then, I was a total PC gamer. Then when the Dreamcast hit, I ended up switching back to console games.

I was curious if anybody else did a similar thing. Discovering the 3DFX games on the PC, building a PC, starting to play more and more PC games, and then ultimately playing nothing but PC games for several years, until the Dreamcast rekindled your love for console gaming.

Anybody else experience this in 1996 and 1997?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol, I have the exact same story as you, weened off of the Genesis/NES around 1996 and got into PC gaming. Wolf3D started me a few years before but in 1996 I was all about Doom2. I played Doom, Quake 1, 2, +3 non-stop for a few hours a day until 1999 (multiplayer and cable modems are great ) Continually upgrading my computer to get better Quake performance really got my PC skills up and now I always build my own systems. I loved the 3dfx and the double Voodoo2 SLI setup I had was too awesome for Quake 2 at the time.

I didn't buy any consoles or handhelds between 1994 and 1999. Then I got a Gameboy Color and a Dreamcast that year and now I have over 20 different systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh... yup... same with me... I bought 2 Voodoo2's connected w/ the SLI cable, and played PC games for a while. Then I kinda got bored with PC games, and kinda playing games all together (had more fun making games than playing games), until the last few years when I've been getting more of the old systems and games (and of course still making my own). I play my old systems WAY more than my XBox or GameCube.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a Nvidia man.. Riva TNT.. it could play UT at 800x600 80fps.. Then a GF2mx400.. then a gf4ti4200.. I used the term "was" a Nvidia man because my next card will be ATI. Ever sense DOOM came out I've always played PC games.. more then console games really.. Diablo, Baldur's Gate, to Everquest.. Though I always had a Nintendo Console up to present.. Was big into SNES, fell away from consoling for a while when I owned an N64 except for Mario, 007, Zelda, Mario Cart 64.. In fact except for Zelda I only played consoles when friends were over.. I never owned NHL for PC, but I did have it for SNES..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My half-brother got a Monster 3D daughter card that hooked up to his existing video card. I think it was Moto GP (?) was the first game I played on that card. Can't remember.

I am always behind the times when it comes to my PCs. I'm cheap that way. I didn't get into 3D PC gaming until about 3 years or so ago when my wife and I bought a 450 MHz AMD system with an 8MB shared 3D card. Pretty swanky for me as the last system I had was a 75 MHz true blue IBM PS system.

By that time PC gaming was pretty much out of my system...to a point. I played the occasional game here and there on PC but the Clones were starting to pop up and games were going beyond the capablity of my PC. Then came the N64 and that was that for PC gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Descent 3... I played that on my PC a ton. I got back into consoles a few months after the DC came out in Japan.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Anybody quit console gaming for 3DFX PC's in 1996, 1997?

Actually, it was the other way around. I essentially quit playing on my PC except for older titles like Duke Nukem 3D and used the N64 (and a bit of the PlayStation). That turned around until just recently, where I'm spending probably more time with the GameBoy Player and other systems.